Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intake Noise

Druid Boy

My 06 2.2 D4D Avensis is making a strange noise from the low pressure air intake side. From inside the car it sounds like a plastic cover or trim vibrating. From under the bonnet it sounds like a plasticy rattling. It only happens when the accelerator is blipped and the revs are dropping (throttles closed) or at low revs, holding the speed back on a balanced throttle (as though going down a small hill). Has anyone experienced this or know anything about it?

My 06 2.2 D4D Avensis is making a strange noise from the low pressure air intake side. From inside the car it sounds like a plastic cover or trim vibrating. From under the bonnet it sounds like a plasticy rattling. It only happens when the accelerator is blipped and the revs are dropping (throttles closed) or at low revs, holding the speed back on a balanced throttle (as though going down a small hill). Has anyone experienced this or know anything about it?

Merry Xmas MATEY

Just tell me -- whether you ve been experiencing such rattle , let say 1-2-3 months ago?

If negative then yr engine has become to work roughly/hardly due to injectors issue that just pour diesel insiide but not inject it as designed. It is correct it is mostly heard at idle and when reved up -- this is disappeared.

Cheers/Igor

Merry Xmas MATEY

Just tell me -- whether you ve been experiencing such rattle , let say 1-2-3 months ago?

If negative then yr engine has become to work roughly/hardly due to injectors issue that just pour diesel insiide but not inject it as designed. It is correct it is mostly heard at idle and when reved up -- this is disappeared.

Cheers/Igor

At first I though WTF, then saw you where from UKR...

I have the same problem and thought the service guy had left the air filter cover off.

It does seem to be a trait in cold weather....

There is an L shaped lead pipe into the air intake duct, this comes loose on the auris and creates a rattle at certain revs. Not sure if this exists for the avensis, worth a look though.

merry Christmas :)

There is an L shaped lead pipe into the air intake duct, this comes loose on the auris and creates a rattle at certain revs. Not sure if this exists for the avensis, worth a look though.

merry Christmas :)

Thanks, will give it a look.

I've had a very similar problem for past few months, quite annoying.

Don't worry, as mentioned on other threads, it's most likely simply something to do with the tape wearing off the pipes to the air intake box causing a vibration/rattle sound decelerating & accelerating around 1200-1600rpm, nothing to do with injectors.

I've had a very similar problem for past few months, quite annoying.

Don't worry, as mentioned on other threads, it's most likely simply something to do with the tape wearing off the pipes to the air intake box causing a vibration/rattle sound decelerating & accelerating around 1200-1600rpm, nothing to do with injectors.

sorted this about 2 weeks ago on mine as it was really getting on my nerves and only happens when it gets cold. There's a foam ring sitting between the inlet pipe and the bottom of the filter box,i presume thats to stop the rattling between the 2. looks like it hadnt been fitted properly from manufacture so i just glued it back in place with a little clear silicon on the pipe and the same again on the lip of the filter box,job done

Thank you all. When I get a chance I intend to strip out the low pressure side of the intake system and have a good look. I will let you know what I find - or post a request for help putting it all back together!!

Thank you all. When I get a chance I intend to strip out the low pressure side of the intake system and have a good look. I will let you know what I find - or post a request for help putting it all back together!!

I've had the same problem. I just folded up a small piece of cloth and with a penknife pushed it into the gap between the intake pipe and the housing. I know its not a very technical solution but it works well, no more rattle.

• 2 months later...

remove the top cover of the air box remove the air fitler you will see the intake pipe going in to the box get two self tappers and screw them through the box and the intake pipe job done....

Hello,

Yes I had the same noise, sounds like the air intake and it is. If you said the word 'boar' in a long drawn out way is that it? The tube that comes into the air filter box from outside (not the side that goes into the engine) has a piece of foam that stops it rattling against the air filter box. The foam gradually wears (my T180 Avensis had about 50,000 on the clock).It occurs at around 1700rpm especially when throttling back. Get yourself some number plate tape (or any foam tape)from Halfords, unscrew the top of the box and take out the air filter. Unscrew the air filter box from the car so you can get to the tube on the air side remove the old tape and wrap the new tape around the tube. Poke it back into the air filter box so it is now a snug fit. Screw the air filter box (4 screws) back on, put the airfilter back in, screw on the top and Robert's your mother's brother. All in it's the cost of the tape (about £5) and it takes about 40 minutes to do a good job of it. Drove me mad for about a month before I had the time to sort it. It's now gone and it's bliss. Aaaahhh, I love my T180.

Good luck with yours.

• Like 1

Hi, I had a similar issue. At App 1700RPM when I dropped the throttle, I got an induction rumble - sounded like I had an after market exhaust. I took the car to Toyota, as I had only bought the car the previous month. It turns out there is sound proofing insulation on the air box and it had come adrift. Toyota fixed it under warranty.

Check the insulation mate & fix it up if needed.

hope this helps.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic! This has annoyed me quite a lot, you guys where spot on.

For anyone wondering, I attached a picture of the loose intake pipe. I fixed this by removing the bottom part of the box and wrapped a foam tape around the pipe.

post-41536-0-24716600-1301943686_thumb.j

So, would now be a good time to admit that I still haven't got round to sorting mine out? No? Ok, I won't admit it then!

• 9 months later...

Hi guys!

Got same problem with my Toyota, no machanic managed to find whats wrong with it ! Will try to fix it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Silicon sealant worked a treat for me - although the white stuff left over from the bathroom isn't the most subtle of colours!

Hello,

Yes I had the same noise, sounds like the air intake and it is. If you said the word 'boar' in a long drawn out way is that it? The tube that comes into the air filter box from outside (not the side that goes into the engine) has a piece of foam that stops it rattling against the air filter box. The foam gradually wears (my T180 Avensis had about 50,000 on the clock).It occurs at around 1700rpm especially when throttling back. Get yourself some number plate tape (or any foam tape)from Halfords, unscrew the top of the box and take out the air filter. Unscrew the air filter box from the car so you can get to the tube on the air side remove the old tape and wrap the new tape around the tube. Poke it back into the air filter box so it is now a snug fit. Screw the air filter box (4 screws) back on, put the airfilter back in, screw on the top and Robert's your mother's brother. All in it's the cost of the tape (about £5) and it takes about 40 minutes to do a good job of it. Drove me mad for about a month before I had the time to sort it. It's now gone and it's bliss. Aaaahhh, I love my T180.

Good luck with yours.

Ty! it help noise gone! Happy days!

Toyota fixed this fault for me at 150,000 service for £28. First time I've had it from new. I love my T180 Tourer.

• 4 weeks later...

Just fixed mine and i'm well pleased thanks for posting this picture i was looking at the wrong side but now have fixed can't believe it EXCELLENT!!!!

Mine's just started acting up again, think i'll try a couple of self tappers however not today as the temp according to avensis is -8.

Thanks to all on this annoying issue have sorted mine with a self tapper 5 min job complete bliss now apart from tyre roar that is !!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wish I'd seen this thread before! For the last month I've not been able to work out what this noise was! But today I finally found the problem. I'll try the foam tape and clear silicon trick to see how that goes!!

Such a horrid sound!!

Wish I'd seen this thread before! For the last month I've not been able to work out what this noise was! But today I finally found the problem. I'll try the foam tape and clear silicon trick to see how that goes!!

Such a horrid sound!!

Thanks to the OP and posters.

I wouldn't have believed a bit of vibration from the pipe could make so much noise, it had got pretty bad and was very noticeable, i was concerned it might be something major but some new foam tape on the joint and a bit along the pipe and it's cured it a treat. With the filter box out it also gave me the push to change the fuel filter that I'd been putting off.