Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bought Rav4.1 Today And Grinding Noise On Way Home!

peevee

Hi,

Noobie here and new owner today 1999 Manual 3dr GX 109k miles. On way home noticed quite loud grinding sound possibly coming from front or rear n/s. Absolutely fine in straght line but any deviation left or right from straight, creates the quite prominent noise, and the greater the lock L or R the louder the noise!

Sounds like worn brake pads against disc(s) but doesn't occur when braking so I'm kind of dismissing pads.

Could wheel bearinga cause this. Are wheel bearing problems common in RAV4??

I haven't checked tyre sizes on car - just wondering if it could be tyres rubbing?

Grateful for any thoughts before I go rummaging under car on Xmas Day!!!

Peter

Hi,

Noobie here and new owner today 1999 Manual 3dr GX 109k miles. On way home noticed quite loud grinding sound possibly coming from front or rear n/s. Absolutely fine in straght line but any deviation left or right from straight, creates the quite prominent noise, and the greater the lock L or R the louder the noise!

Sounds like worn brake pads against disc(s) but doesn't occur when braking so I'm kind of dismissing pads.

Could wheel bearinga cause this. Are wheel bearing problems common in RAV4??

I haven't checked tyre sizes on car - just wondering if it could be tyres rubbing?

Grateful for any thoughts before I go rummaging under car on Xmas Day!!!

Peter

Welcome to the forum.

Starting on the simple stuff - yes - if the wheels have been swapped then its entirely possible for the front tyres to rub against the inner wheel arch on full or near full lock.

More likely its the front pads which will sound rough when turning corners as the disc flexes, but the noise will reduce when the brakes are applied (cos the pads are held tight onto the disc.).

Wheel bearing - more of a rumble but yes - the front bearings do wear out.

Give us a note of your tyre size and if its got non-toyota wheels/alloys fitted.

Then check the pads...easy enough to do.

Look for any rubbing marks on the inside wings/wheel arch.

Hi guys - thanks for the welcome and advice. I'm off to a local indie man tomorrow who'll check this out and I'll revert. I'm still suspicious of the brakes/pads as there is also what feels like warped discs as well!

Hope it's not the diffs/transfer box - the diff lock seems to be working ok i.e. switches on/off no problem and no extra noise when in use.

The tyres I believe are standard size, 215/70/16 so kind of dismissing that for the moment.

Peter

the transmission train on these things are bomb proof. I doubt if its that. My gearbox and diff + transfer box take 3 times the power it was given by the original engine.

Try this:

Drive it straight ahead and apply the brake, taking note of the the braking point.

Move forward and tun the steering left and right.

Apply the brake and feel if the braking point has moved down....

If the wheel bearing is shot, the brake pedal will move down further than previously......

HTH :)

• 3 weeks later...

After further investigation by local Toyota dealerman and a cost of £85 still noise is undiagnosed!

Dealerman thought it might be bearing or CV or even a bent axle and the latter would cost £500 plus £200 labour!!

Have booked car in for next Tuesday at local friendly garage man for futher investigation and I'll let you know outcome.

RAV4Len - I tried your test but couldn't detect any differences in breaking point/change in brake feel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links