Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla D4D 2004 Sensitive To Humidity

celica-group-A

Hi,

My Corolla D4D 116 hp seems to be sensitive to humidity.

Let me describe the history of my problems with this car:

-Bought in 2009 with 64000 Km.

-A few month later, first symptoms: loss of power sometimes, with sometimes the motor-light on the dashboard. Toyota diagnosed a problem with the 2 fuel valves (the green and the blue on the injection pump). I replace it, and no more problems during one year.

-In october 2010, same problem again, getting worse every day, with difficulty to start and very low power. The symtoms are now permanent, although las year it was only sometimes. Toyota says that the injection pump is damaged, sending some "metal powder" int the valves. But the price is very expensive (2700 Euros), so I repare myself with a used injection pump.

-When restarting the car, the problem seems to have desapeared during one month. But now, I have again the same intermittent symptoms, only when the weather is wet. I think the pump was really damaged, but here is another cause, only when it rains: wiring problem, or elecronoc transmitter sensitive to water?

Does anyone have seen this before?

Which country are you in? Could be quality of the fuel and have you had the car serviced regularly and properly? I think could be too much moisture in the fuel filter

well i have the 1.4 D4D but no problem like that.

as said how often do you change your fuel filter and what is the quality of diesel like in your country?

here in ireland the diesel is pretty bad and the filter has to be changed at least every 15k

I'm in the south of France. I don't know about the fuel quality, but I replaced the fuel filter when I changed the pump, and the problem came again one month after. I don't see why a dirty filter could cause problem only if it rains: Two days before christmas it was raining heavily, and the motor run really badly, especially when I tryed to accelerate full-throttle. Two days after, the weather was dry, sunny and cold (-5°C, we were in the alps), the car was recovered by 5 cm of fresh snow, and the motor run normally all the road. So the problem is really caused by the rain or humidity in the air, I think only a wiring default or a malfunction with an electronic transmitter can give such problems...

Currently had problems with bad repair of my manual gearbox - new parts installed and the problem disappeared for a while but started showing up - so instead of new repair which will cost me another 3-500 pounds, I tried additive from XADO. The gears are RUNNING PERFECT - as new :D Never thought I would be so happy with the result but it was 15pounds so decided to try it out :) There is an additive for high pressure fuel pumps - suitable for diesel as well - give it a try - it may be permanent, but it's cheap and won't hurt it - that's guaranteed :D Take a look - http://www.xado.com/global/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=119 - it's 15-18 pounds and could help you up to patch up thing for another 60-100 000 km - at least that's what they say and so far all forums and clips I saw for this product confirms it :) After adding XADO to my gearbox I bought revitalizant for my engine and fuel pump as well - won't hurt, will just protect them :) I'm not a seller or reseller - just sharing my very recent opinion of something that helped me out and saved me quite lot of money :D Let us know if you try it out! Good luck sorting this out!

Hi there....I'm having similar issues with my '07 Corolla 2.0D-4D (166)

It has recently started losing power, the engine management light (EML) comes on and the car won't move. Infact the 1st time it happened it stalled, all other times I've turned it off.

Once the car has restarted it runs fine as if nothing is wrong, but the (EML) stays on. Once the car has reached temperature and is switched off the next time it's turned back on the light has usually gone off. I've had it checked and had 2 codes P0093 (fuel system leak detected - large leak) and P0607 (control module performance). The garage had a look for a leak but nothing.....so after paying for a garage to check, I'm still no the wiser. The garage cleared the fault, but it happened again this morning. Every time it happens the engine is always cold and the weather is either cold and damp or freezing (-5 or something)

The issues you've had sound similar......it was also mentioned about the diesel and the cold weather.

Good luck

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links