Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do I Have Navigation? :)

Darrka

Hello everybody

I just have bought RAV4 2008, it have radio & CD model Toyota 58827. There is some butons which seems to belong to GPS navigation.

But i not managet to get them work.

I don't have any user manual. Also don't find any information in the net.

So maybe anybody know, have radio & CD model Toyota 58827 GPS navigation or not? Maybe i need some kind of upgrade, or thats pure radio&CD only?

If somebody have downloadable users manual for this rado (and also whole car) and can share it i would be really appriaciate that.

Thank you.

58827.jpg

That's a CD/Radio unit only my friend. Sat Nav units have much larger LCD screens than that.

Big Kev.

• 3 weeks later...

no guys, you are not right...

i have the same radio.

in my opinion, it is a navigation also, this is TNS 300 system, compatible with TNS 310. just try to look at google.de. you problably only need a navigation CD with maps (ebay).

if you dont believe me, try to google a bit and explain me why there are REROUTE and GUIDANCE buttons?

Welcome to the club.

However, I have to disagree.

1. When TNS300/310 appear on eBay they are separate DVD based systems, which fit either under passenger seat or in the boot etc and communicate with the headunit via toyota AVCLAN.

2. I don't believe this heatunit reads DVDs - only CDs.

3. My old RAV4.2 had a CASSETTE based headunit and this also had these buttons on which did nothing.

4. Toyota usually have a dot matrix display in their radios so that if the nav unit is attached, it can show what Toyota refer to as "turn by turn" navigation pictures/info transmitted from the separate nav unit. The buttons are just so the headunit is ready for the separate satnav box option.

5. Have you actually tried what you suggest?

6. So where does the GPS antenna necessary fit into the back of the radio? I don't believe there is one.

Welcome to the club.

However, I have to disagree.

1. When TNS300/310 appear on ebay they are separate DVD based systems, which fit either under passenger seat or in the boot etc and communicate with the headunit via toyota AVCLAN.

2. I don't believe this heatunit reads DVDs - only CDs.

3. My old RAV4.2 had a CASSETTE based headunit and this also had these buttons on which did nothing.

4. Toyota usually have a dot matrix display in their radios so that if the nav unit is attached, it can show what Toyota refer to as "turn by turn" navigation pictures/info transmitted from the separate nav unit. The buttons are just so the headunit is ready for the separate satnav box option.

5. Have you actually tried what you suggest?

6. So where does the GPS antenna necessary fit into the back of the radio? I don't believe there is one.

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

ok, guys, my fault.

i was thinking that i have found a navigation CD for toyota on the internet. there isnt any...

on eBay i have seen exactly the same radio and the seller has written, that it is compatible with TNS-310 (or 210).

but, i have an idea - what if we connect a USB interface to it (throught CD changer interface) and we will load maps to USB? has anyone tryed it?

i dont believe that there are buttons added just for fun. every button cost money... i am working in car development, so i know what i am talking about.

The navigation button will be for the sound system menu :)

Sorry big kev and rav4len - both wrong....

The same head unit would have been used if the satnav option had been fitted... I had the same in one of my old Avensis, a friend had a model without the satnav, I had the satnav and both head units were the same...

The same head unit would have been used if the satnav option had been fitted... I had the same in one of my old Avensis, a friend had a model without the satnav, I had the satnav and both head units were the same...

Interestful, J & T....from whence did one read the information? Off that tiny toaty wee screen? Or was it the "turn by turn" which I have never experienced, but was warned it was awfy basic both in use and technically speaking.

Genuinely interested in how it was viewable on that LCD screen part.

Big Kev :help:

Interestful, J & T....from whence did one read the information? Off that tiny toaty wee screen? Or was it the "turn by turn" which I have never experienced, but was warned it was awfy basic both in use and technically speaking.

Genuinely interested in how it was viewable on that LCD screen part.

Big Kev :help:

Yes it was very basic turn by turn, but surprisingly easy to use :thumbsup:

if you did have the optional sat-nav with the normal display, it would be turn by turn but it would also be awfy small and the most basic of basic standalone Sat-Navs would be far superior.

Comparison against standalone unit.....

Pros - Built in

Cons - everything else.

just my 2 penneth worth :)

if you did have the optional sat-nav with the normal display, it would be turn by turn but it would also be awfy small and the most basic of basic standalone Sat-Navs would be far superior.

Comparison against standalone unit.....

Pros - Built in

Cons - everything else.

just my 2 penneth worth :)

It was very, very basic, but as i said easy to use. The current one in my Prius is far superior but i can't compare it with tomtom or the like as i've never used them...

I stand therefore both informed and correctified, J & T, but really would have had problems reading anything but Radio 4's details on that daft screen....again, one presumes there were audio instructments also....?

Big Kev :eek:

I stand therefore both informed and correctified, J & T, but really would have had problems reading anything but Radio 4's details on that daft screen....again, one presumes there were audio instructments also....?

Big Kev :eek:

Indeed there was Kev... a very nice lady that surprisingly still sounds the same in my Prius - she hasn't aged a bit! :thumbsup:

look at this eBay webpage - the seller tells that you can control the TNS310 navi through that..

http://cgi.ebay.at/TOYOTA-RAV4-Radio-CD-Wechsler-Mp3-Handler-NEUWERTIG-/370319640986?pt=CE_Auto_Hi_Fi_Autoradios&hash=item5638c5499a

- Steuerung des Navigationssystems TNS310 möglich

look at this EBAY webpage - the seller tells that you can control the TNS310 navi through that..

http://cgi.ebay.at/T...=item5638c5499a

what point are you trying to make??

the ordinary RAV 4 head unit HAS NO SAT NAV Capability WITHOUT the Sat Nav add on controller. you cannot stick a USB Stick with maps on the CD Changer or somehow get the maps on a CD etc etc.

ALL RAV4 Head units can control the Sat Nav unit IF that Sat Nav unit is present. we all know that now.

look at this EBAY webpage - the seller tells that you can control the TNS310 navi through that..

the ordinary RAV 4 head unit HAS NO SAT NAV Capability WITHOUT the Sat Nav add on controller. you cannot stick a USB Stick with maps on the CD Changer or somehow get the maps on a CD etc etc.

ALL RAV4 Head units can control the Sat Nav unit IF that Sat Nav unit is present. we all know that now.

ok then, what is the SAT NAV controller? is it an module for the radio? do you have the part#?

ok then, what is the SAT NAV controller? is it an module for the radio? do you have the part#?

Have a google for TNS (Toyota Navigation System) - it is the Add on Sat Nav electronics box you need if you want to be able to have Sat Nav on the radio display and use those buttons on the head unit.

there are different types depending on what head unit you have. The older ones are CD based, the newer ones are DVD based

Also do some searching on this forum and you will see a lot of discussions over the years and will give you the explanations you are in need of.

Have fun :thumbsup:

welcome liberty.forever :thumbsup:

send a PM to misco903 :nerd:

He is a automotive developer and is currently engaged on investigating this very subject and will be able to answer all your questions shortly :yes:

:bye:

• 2 weeks later...

He is a automotive developer and is currently engaged on investigating this very subject and will be able to answer all your questions shortly :yes:

Oh, thanks God we have such a Smart Asses such as Hoover! :thumbsup:

Oh, thanks God we have such a Smart Asses such as Hoover! :thumbsup:

Yes !!!!!! :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links