Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Questions

-Ub3R-

I currently own an Aygo and love it.

But I need something bigger and since I plan on staying Toyota all my life. It's gotta be a Corolla. :)

Now first off:

1. What was changed in the 2004 facelift?

I can see the differences in the front bumper. But sometimes facelift revisions also improve the engines, or seats etc.

2. Is there a comprehensive guide/faq for this car anyway.

The Aygo forum on here has a topic with all the info you could ever want. But there's nothing like that here.

My dilema at the moment is which engine to get (T3/T Spirit):

1. 2.0 D-4D 116ps

I would get a DTUK chip for this so upto 140ps and would get the 5dr since the added weight isn't a problem with all that torque.

2. 1.6 VVTi

Gotta be a 3dr since I'd be wanting a mini TSport (Can't afford to insure a TS yet)

With a lot of mods planned:

1. Exhaust

2. Intake

3. Lowered, either with Coilovers/Lowering springs. May need some info on which is best.

4. Wider tires. I'm not a big rim guy so what would be the largest I could get on the stock rim?

If getting bigger rims is needed to obtain the widest tires possible what would be the specs? (eg. 215/55/16 with offset requirements etc)

Last thing:

With either model (Maybe not so much with the petrol) what's the best way to get cruise control installed?

I've found either:

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/

Or:

http://www.cobravehiclesecurity.co.uk/products/cruise-control/e-cruise-.aspx

Thanks in advance

Andy

hello,

well alot of your questions have been answered in other posts but iam sure you dont wana go trawling through old threads.

well first off the difference between pfl and fl is: front bumper, headlights, taillights, backbumper, speedo display and air circulation button, radio display and cloth trim, thats all the differences really.

as for what model to go for again has been discussed time and time again, if you were to go for a 2.0 D4D and wanted some looks then the SR would be the only car to go for, lovely stock car, looks like a 5 door t-sport if you ask me B)

a lad on here had a SR and bought a chip from 'partsking' and recons it was near 140 alright but the torque being the main diesel figure , he said it was brilliant :thumbsup:

as for tyres, well you couldnt really go any wider than 195 as it would quiet simply look horrible, there would be far too much of a bulge.

standard wheels are 15's, t-sports are 16's if you just wanted to go up a bit and they use a 205 tyre.

but realistically you would want to buy some new wheels, 17's, 215/45/17 :thumbsup:

dont think we have too many on here with 1.6, MOST are auto if iam not mistaking,

definitely go for the facelift. i think the improvements they made which Andy mentioned all come together to really improving the car a lot compared to prefacelift.

Out of T3 or T-spirit if you're gonna go down the route of coilover lowering/ new alloys etc then you probably want the T3 since the factory body kit which comes with it really enhances the look of the car. If you want toys inside then go for the t-spirit.

Out of the engines I have the 2.0D4D and love it to bits. Much better than the 1.6 engine in terms of torque and fuel economy. Even through this cold snap my car has been giving me 42mpg!

the rear view mirror is worth it alone!

I would get the facelift too, the PFL rides a bit higher.

If you can, the CTS is the one to have (I am biased), if you can afford it then the compressor is better still. However you will get rubbish fuel consumption with the compressor.

Thanks for the advice/help so far

I've decided on the diesel.

Now I just need to know about the cruise control. Has anyone fitted either system?

Also, do diesels benefit from panel filters? (K&N, Pipercross)

Just because I hate stock filters. I prefer to clean then buy a new one.

i've always wondered about panel filters but never actually tried it. recently i've been deciding whether to sell the corolla and jump ship to the germans or keep it and looking at insurance quotes (i'm only 20) i've decided to keep the corolla so now i'm gonna start throwing some money at it wheels lowering etc etc.

i think the engines breathing makes a big(ger) difference with turbo charged engines (like the diesel) and i know the stock corolla 2.0d4d exhaust to be very restrictive. my friends have said even changing the back box makes a difference to the feel of the car. i will probably look into panel filters and exhausts after my uni exams are over end of Jan.

i have never been too bothered about cruise control so i've never looked into it at all but i don't see why it would be difficult especially if you get a factory system from a scrappers or even if you buy it from the dealer?

It will be expensive, better off going to a company to get it done. You also cant easily install cruise control yourself as the cruise control ecu is normally part of the main vehicle ecu.

On the subject of lowering.

Coilovers definitely cost more.

I'm not really going to slam it. I just want the improved handling and slightly lower stance. So I'm assuming the Apex lowering springs would be best for this?

Never been quite sure on how stock shocks handle lowering springs.

And the biggest tire I could get on the stock T3 15" alloys is a 195?

What is the standard tire width?

15" 195/60/15 <-- is also the standard 15" tyre size

16" 195/55/16 standard, i would use 205/50(or 55)/16

17" either 215/40/17 (a popular easy to find size) or 215/45/17

standard shocks are good to 40mm drop with springs, corolla shock i argue can handle more strain 45mm drop on springs is not a problem. corolla shocks are made to be loaded up heavy they can take the strain.

as i said before lad have you looked at getting an SR rolla, lovely car and has some of the work done for you already.

as for lowering, i have mine lowered 40mm all round on stock shocks for over 2 years and not a bother, did the NCT 2 weeks ago and flew through.

heres what i mean ........

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201048374354619/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/model/corolla/make/toyota/keywords/sr/postcode/w67af/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

That SR is very nice. Bit above my price range though.

I'm looking to keep it below £4k.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll probably keep it on stock wheels for now. First thing to get is the chip. Extra power and better economy, every diesel owner in the world should have one.

is the chip really that good? i've kinda looked into a it a few times but shy away since i don't want to start eating clutches and blowing turbos!

Aslong as you drive sensibly I can't see why it would be a problem.

If you ragged it everywhere then fair enough. You would destroy parts faster than stock.

does the chip piggy-back on the standard ecu though or is it a "proper" remap of the existing ecu via the obdii port or other means? I've read piggy backs aren't as good as traditional remaps, heaven only knows lol...

Judging by what DTUK say. It's a piggy-back. Since you can just take it off and the car is back to default. Anyone can install it themselves.

Quite a lot of companies do these sorts of chips but for the UK. DTUK seems to be the best.

And a remap would definitely give you more power but they cost more and if you wanted it changed back you'd have to pay for another remap.

The VRS drivers on Briskoda are all remapping up to around 190hp from 130hp and recommend only flooring it when you're above 2k rpm. This is due to the turbo being able to gain boost better at that rpm.

Otherwise you'll just black smoke everywhere and put a lot of strain on your turbo till it gets up to pressure.

After a lot of thought. I've changed my mind and I'm aiming at a 1.6 T Spirit now.

I love driving petrol and the T Spirit is the top spec model, so that's the one to go for :)

I actually prefer the prefacelift front end on the T Spirit's. It has that black grill rather than the two lines. But the seats and everything in a facelift look so much better :)

As in the prefacelift look cotton. And the facelift look like a much nicer material.

And the T Spirit comes with a sunroof so that makes in-car filming much easier.

personally i'm going to stick my neck out and say that's a really bad move. the diesel is simply the most reliable in the range period. i wish you the best of luck with the petrol engine but i know nothing about it. and get a facelift, you're going to be sat in the car not looking at the grill whilst you're driving it!

After a lot of thought. I've changed my mind and I'm aiming at a 1.6 T Spirit now.

I love driving petrol and the T Spirit is the top spec model, so that's the one to go for :)

I actually prefer the prefacelift front end on the T Spirit's. It has that black grill rather than the two lines. But the seats and everything in a facelift look so much better :)

As in the prefacelift look cotton. And the facelift look like a much nicer material.

And the T Spirit comes with a sunroof so that makes in-car filming much easier.

Pretty sure the SR is the top spec model........

Yeah SR is the top spec, T-spirit just below it. My T-spirit doesn't have the SR bodykit and wheels and that's about it.

well in the 1.6 vvti or 2.0 D4D you could say either t-sprit or SR as they are both top spec cars aimed at different markets

I thought the compressor was top spec.

It is... but as the OP has discounted the T Sport that makes the SR 'top spec' for what they're looking at ;)

I have a 1987 Corolla. She's a steady and reliable old car. However she has started to leak water when it is raining

The water comes in under the dashboard. I have replaced the windscreen but there is no improvement. Does anyone have any suggestions. My local garage doesn't seem interested. Perhaps I should try my Toyota dealer but feel it might be expensive. Cheers, Penygraig