Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Broken 2 Button Key Fob

SaraheM

Hi my 02 Rav 4 key fobs are in a sorry state! I bought replacement key fobs on eBay and put a new front on one key but the Battery now seems to be giving out. Any idea of what Battery I need and how I can replace it? I read other forums from a while back & there seems to be a problem when you replace the Battery? Also the other key fob has totally broken & I can't swap the actual key itself into the new fob. I have all the "innerds" which I can swap over (need a new battery in this one as well!)Any idea if I can get the key cut on the new fob & will it work?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated I am in th UK if that helps!

Hi my 02 Rav 4 key fobs are in a sorry state! I bought replacement key fobs on Ebay and put a new front on one key but the battery now seems to be giving out. Any idea of what battery I need and how I can replace it? I read other forums from a while back & there seems to be a problem when you replace the battery? Also the other key fob has totally broken & I can't swap the actual key itself into the new fob. I have all the "innerds" which I can swap over (need a new battery in this one as well!)Any idea if I can get the key cut on the new fob & will it work?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated I am in th UK if that helps!

The key fob Battery is a CR1616, I think, but if you call in to any Toyota dealer, they'll change it for you.

Try these guys for new key by mail order: www.carkeyworld.co.uk. I bought new key from them recently & their service is excellent; they are also miles cheaper than Mr. T. It helps if you have the key code (on a metal tag on the key ring) but if not you can probably mail the old one to them. Alternatively give them a call on 01704 535369 and they'll talk you through it. Seriously, they are probably the most customer friendly-bunch I've ever met.

Good luck.

Best try asking the question in the RAV4 section -

Hi Sarah + welcome If you google Toyota replacement key fobs, there are lots of companies doing this, here is a LINK to one of them, that advertises complete refurbishment + new Battery FROM £15 have a scroll down till you find Toyota keys, this is NOT a reccomendation as i have never used them but hope it helps :thumbsup: Stew

Hi Sarah,surely they have to have a master key to copy the imobiliser chip though otherwise it would not start the car?

Spect' someone will know the answer,so hang on in there :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Sarah,surely they have to have a master key to copy the imobiliser chip though otherwise it would not start the car?

Spect' someone will know the answer,so hang on in there :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here is a Toyota specific LINK..Stew

LINK2

Sorry Stew,thought you were refering to replacements (this may be muffled due to foot in mouth!) :huh::huh:

Del

Sorry Stew,thought you were refering to replacements (this may be muffled due to foot in mouth!) :huh::huh:

Del

Absolutely no apology needed Del :D I know nothing whatsoever about this company, just trying to help the lady out, however if as they say they can check + repair your fobs circuitry, fit a new Battery + case + repair a broken key for around £20 then its gotta be better than £150 + for a toyota replacement, they also seem to offer advice on resynchronising keys, I have heard before of a sequence that supposedly works involving, inserting key X no of times, pressing brake, opening + closing doors and generally doing the Okey Cokey but never tried it :lol: Stew

Kingo has priced me a new remote two-button fob for my 08 RAV4 for approx £75 delivered. My local Mr T dealer says synchronising the key to the chip in the car's systems will cost about £30 all-in. If fleabay is not to your tastes then maybe try Kingo for a pukka Mr T job at a good price? Not open until Jan 4th now though...

Oh yeah, the Battery for mine (and the wife's 04 Yaris...) is a CR2016 3v Lithium. Simple job to fit (done two for the wife so far) and get them from Wilkinson's (or similar): less than £3 for an "Energizer" two-battery pack - £4.99 for exactly the same at Hellfrauds!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links