Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cracked Winscreen

benxt5

Right, got in the car this morning and the other half noticed a crack in the windscreen, about 2" long coming from the bottom up at about 18" from the passenger side.

This is the 2nd time it has hapenned since buying the car in late august and is in exactly the same place.

My question is: Coincidence or design/assembly fault?

Was the last time a repair or replacement.

Either way,surely a cause for a complaint?

Del

my opinion is that it is a design fault. However the car may have had a small shunt and theres pressure on that part of the monocoque designed Shell (ie designed by a mono coque). Is the tyre wear ok?

Get the amount of adhesive used on the screen checked too.... maybe too little has caused a lack of tolerance to any body flex.

Otherwise stop the other half from hitting the windscreen by getting them to use the seatbelt :lol:

I did wonder if it had had a shunt but the dealer said it was one of "their cars" from new and they new all it's history and it hadn't. True or not, the crack is growing from the same point as the last windscreens did. May well just be bad luck but its seems strange that it is in the same place and growing in the same fashion.

I did wonder if it had had a shunt but the dealer said it was one of "their cars" from new and they new all it's history and it hadn't. True or not, the crack is growing from the same point as the last windscreens did. May well just be bad luck but its seems strange that it is in the same place and growing in the same fashion.

Having worked in the windscreen industry, albeit many years ago, I'm with Bothy on this one: either the body is slightly out of tolerance so the screen is stressed when it is glued in position, The body is flexing unduly ( structural problem with the body Shell ** ) or, most likely, the thickness of the adhesive bed is too thin. The only thing that rings a slight alarm bell is it happening in the same place twice.

A crack of this type usually propagates from a stress raiser on the body Shell or a chip or scratch on the screen itself. If the crack starts near the joint between two panels check that the there is no misalignment that leads to a local thinning of the adhesive bed.

** I inspected a BMW with failed spot welds on the rear suspension several years ago. The failure allowed one of the location rods ( would have called it a Pannard rod in the past )to become detached.

I doubt it is a design fault or we would be hearing of it all the time but it may have some body defect that is putting undue pressure on it.

I wouldn't be inclined to look too hard at first. Get the fitter to look closely at the body for a high spot or defect like Chris has suggested. They squeeze out a real high bead of adhesive (about 20-25mm) that should protect it from anything that wouldn't be visible.

You don't park it with one wheel on the footpath or anything strange like that? The windscreen holds the body rigid and if you exert stress on it in this weather it might just load it enough to crack it.

I am now just about to start on windscreen number 4 in a year, 3 with stone chips and one with a slate off the roof. I think I should start reviewing windscreen fitters!!!

I am now just about to start on windscreen number 4 in a year, 3 with stone chips and one with a slate off the roof. I think I should start reviewing windscreen fitters!!!

That's some record! Your insurance company must be sick. The only answer that occurs immediately is fitting a tank turret with those little bullet proof slits to look out of! ;)

That's some record! Your insurance company must be sick. The only answer that occurs immediately is fitting a tank turret with those little bullet proof slits to look out of! ;)

One advantage is that it saves you cleaning the inside of the windscreen!!!

So do you have unlimited replacements on insurance? I thought you were only allowed to do it with the lower glass excess a few times a year?

I am not sure the way it has worked out is that I swapped my insurance in June this year so technically this is the first time on this insurance, I didn't have any problem with my last insurance though I am sick of getting them replaced now.