Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing The Lock Set

Dmitriy

Hi All,

Seems like the ignition key from my Avensis 1.8L VVT-i made in September 2000 had been lost and a new ignition switch lock installed as the black key only matches the ignition lock while the gray key only matches the door and boot locks. Also the steering wheel is never locked when the key is taken out.

I now want to buy a complete lock+key set (ignition lock, door lock and boot lock) from a similar car and take out the 2-button thingie out of the old key and put it into the new one. I understand my alarm will carry on working this way, but I still need to register the new key with the immobiliser don't I? I am being told that I need to buy the lock+key set along with the ECU from the same car, which I would like to avoid unless inevitable.

Also is it the ignition switch lock that locks the steering wheel once the key is taken out, or is it a separate part? Can I avoid removing the steering wheel when replacing the ignition switch lock?

Please see the lock+key set I am talking about attached.

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

post-102511-0-39617500-1293458303_thumb.

• 1 month later...

you need to buy a complete lockset with ecu and immobiliser or look for an autolocksmith who cancut and code you a key to work with the existing ecu and locks

you need to buy a complete lockset with ecu and immobiliser or look for an autolocksmith who cancut and code you a key to work with the existing ecu and locks

bet you didnt think your expertise would have been called on so soon.

well done.

Hi All,

Seems like the ignition key from my Avensis 1.8L VVT-i made in September 2000 had been lost and a new ignition switch lock installed as the black key only matches the ignition lock while the gray key only matches the door and boot locks. Also the steering wheel is never locked when the key is taken out.

I now want to buy a complete lock+key set (ignition lock, door lock and boot lock) from a similar car and take out the 2-button thingie out of the old key and put it into the new one. I understand my alarm will carry on working this way, but I still need to register the new key with the immobiliser don't I? I am being told that I need to buy the lock+key set along with the ECU from the same car, which I would like to avoid unless inevitable.

Also is it the ignition switch lock that locks the steering wheel once the key is taken out, or is it a separate part? Can I avoid removing the steering wheel when replacing the ignition switch lock?

Please see the lock+key set I am talking about attached.

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

Hello, that sounds expensive! Is it possible that you could claim from your insurance saying you keys may have been stolen.

Pete.

the insurance company would scrap a 2000 avensis for that....for the parts alone your talking £1500 from toyota...done a lock set not that long ago..the customer paid as they didnt want the car written off and that was a 2002...

maybe you could find same car at a scrappies and if you remove them yourself could save a lot of money.

the insurance company would scrap a 2000 avensis for that....for the parts alone your talking £1500 from toyota...done a lock set not that long ago..the customer paid as they didnt want the car written off and that was a 2002...

Good point, the car value hadn't crossed my mind.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for your replies, looks like obtaining a complete lock set + ECU from a similar car at a scrapyard is the cheapest solution (£100).

Just 2 Qs remain outstanding:

- Does the part that locks the steering wheel once the key is taken out belong to the ignition switch lock assembly or is it a separate part?

- Can I avoid removing the steering wheel itself when replacing that part?

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links