Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T Spirit D-4 - Problems With Starting

Amanda40

I have a Toyota Avensis T Spirit D-4 - 2006 model. I had problems starting it so mechanic advised new Battery. Still having problems, then advised change of glow plugs. It started but only just, still not 100%. This morning it took 4 times to start - it wants to start, the starter motor fine but almost sounds as though there is not enough fuel getting through. Has anyone else had any problems like this? Any advise? It is driving me mad, I dread going out to start the car in the mornings.

I have a similar issue with my Avensis D4D . Just a couple of weeks ago the Battery was replaced under warranty after I complained it was slow to start. It normally jumps into life but now it seems to take longer. In the really cold weather I use the glow plugs 3 times before turning the engine over. turn the keys to get the dashboard lit up and wait for the glow plug light to go out. Turn the key back so the lights go out and repeat. It helps with mine but, like you, I dread starting it from cold. Mine will be going into the dealership soon for a further check up. I will let you know what they say - and how much it is going to hurt £££££!

Where are you buying your fuel?

Morrisons now use a higher content of bio fuel which gums up quicker, so that could be an issue.

Supermarkets are usually cheap for a good reason, they aren't as good as the big brands. The additives in the big name fuels are designed to keep the engine cleaner and improve/restore economy and performance.

If you are buying cheap fuel you may have issues with the car, and at worst there could be some water in it.

I would suggest that your next fill should be a full tank of something like Shell or BP if available, and if that doesn't help then have a look at changing the fuel filter.

Failing that your EGR could be clogged up and needs cleaning.

I have a Toyota Avensis T Spirit D-4 - 2006 model. I had problems starting it so mechanic advised new battery. Still having problems, then advised change of glow plugs. It started but only just, still not 100%. This morning it took 4 times to start - it wants to start, the starter motor fine but almost sounds as though there is not enough fuel getting through. Has anyone else had any problems like this? Any advise? It is driving me mad, I dread going out to start the car in the mornings.

Hello, please try this method ..... turn the ignition on until the glow plug light goes out as normal, start the car but DON'T touch the accelerator pedal, the car should start at tickover speed (800rpm) then the revs will increase within a couple of seconds automatically to around 1200rpm now you can press gas the pedal to rev the car. This method worked for me, same engine as yours 2.2d4d in minus 14c but if I use the accelerator it does exactly what yours does, may seem strange but it's true!:yes:

Best regards ..... Pete.

You are all fantastic. Thank you so much for all your replies. Will try fuel filter and filling up at different fuel station. Thanks again. Amanda

Does anyone advocate using fuel additives? Many years ago I used to use Redex in and old SU carburetor engine to help keep things clear & as the lead content in petrol was being reduced. Do additives add any value in diesel engines or is it just a good way to burn more cash?

If you buy decent fuel to begin with then the additives and detergents should keep things clean. If you buy cheap fuel and then put additives in on top you are probably spending more.

I only use Shell in my cars and find it is the same price as supermarket fuel, and I get money off with a loyalty card. When the car feels better on Shell then it is an easy choice for me.

If you buy decent fuel to begin with then the additives and detergents should keep things clean. If you buy cheap fuel and then put additives in on top you are probably spending more.

I only use shell in my cars and find it is the same price as supermarket fuel, and I get money off with a loyalty card. When the car feels better on shell then it is an easy choice for me.

Hi Davey, I use Shell myself when I can or Total Excellium, both are giving me good results, I'm not a great fan of supermarket fuel. I do give the car a dose of Forte diesel additive now and then and this was also recommended by my local Toyota garage, good stuff in my opinion.

Best regards ..... Pete.

I have used additives in the past, but never really seen a difference to warrant the extra money, although if the car has clean fuel to begin with the additives may not have had much work to do?

At the end of the day, fuel is fuel and all of the brands available will get you from A to B, so i can understand why people just throw the cheapest stuff in, but an extra 1-2PPL on each tankful won't break the bank, and might be the difference between running or reliability issues, or having a car that starts fine in all conditions.

As a comparison, My Dad has a Peugeot 607 2.2 HDI, and he throws in any fuel that's cheap in the area, and the last few days it has had starting issues despite being a 58 plate car. Mine is an 08 plate with similar mileage and a Shell fuel saver in the tank and starts fine in the same conditions. Considering he is a mechanic and services his car between intervals just because he can, you would expect his car to be pretty reliable, but when its -7c and he starts it, i wonder if i'm going to be giving him a lift or not.

Out of interest, the title of the thread suggests that the car is a D4 (petrol)? But the OP mentions a change of glow plugs (diesel) so are we all talking about the same engine?

I have used additives in the past, but never really seen a difference to warrant the extra money, although if the car has clean fuel to begin with the additives may not have had much work to do?

At the end of the day, fuel is fuel and all of the brands available will get you from A to B, so i can understand why people just throw the cheapest stuff in, but an extra 1-2PPL on each tankful won't break the bank, and might be the difference between running or reliability issues, or having a car that starts fine in all conditions.

As a comparison, My Dad has a Peugeot 607 2.2 HDI, and he throws in any fuel that's cheap in the area, and the last few days it has had starting issues despite being a 58 plate car. Mine is an 08 plate with similar mileage and a Shell fuel saver in the tank and starts fine in the same conditions. Considering he is a mechanic and services his car between intervals just because he can, you would expect his car to be pretty reliable, but when its -7c and he starts it, i wonder if i'm going to be giving him a lift or not.

Out of interest, the title of the thread suggests that the car is a D4 (petrol)? But the OP mentions a change of glow plugs (diesel) so are we all talking about the same engine?

Hi. Yes it is a diesel engine. I will ask about additives too. Amazing how much you learn about cars in this forum! I am learning lots. Thank you for your advice.

Batteries are a common starting problem at this time of year because the cold weather can kill a weak Battery, and the diesel engine needs more power to start up than a petrol, so if it was a Battery problem, a new one should have fixed it.

Glow plugs are not normally used unless the temp is very cold (below -5 i've been told) so its possible that they are not working correctly with recent weather, but for the majority of the year they wouldn't be needed so they shouldn't really be worn out.

Fuel sounds like the main cause of your problems, so maybe try one of the premium fuels over 1 tank full to see if this helps (BP Ultimate or Shell V power) as they could do the trick at little overall expense (extra £3-5 for a full tank).

If that fails, then my suggestion would be to get the fuel filter checked out. If it is full of gunk or water then it will add restriction to the fuel delivery and your car will feel like its being held back.

Hopefully this will be a cheap fix that can be sorted out easily.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links