Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hand Brake Cables

kookieone

I took my Rav4 NRG to the garage to have the hand brake looked at - it barely holds anymore. I was told the cables need replaced. In order to do the job he said the fuel tank needs to come out also the rear seats. Apparently it's a 7-8 hour job and will cost in the region of 600 quid!! Is this correct?

I took my Rav4 NRG to the garage to have the hand brake looked at - it barely holds anymore. I was told the cables need replaced. In order to do the job he said the fuel tank needs to come out also the rear seats. Apparently it's a 7-8 hour job and will cost in the region of 600 quid!! Is this correct?

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder about the validity of needing new cables, but best to ask in the RAV4 section rather than this general forum.

The petrol tank does indeed locate under both sides of the car with the prop shaft just below it. I think the cables can be accessed from above but may need to be clipped to the body above the tank.

However having owned a RAV since I bought it new in 1994, I have never had to replace the handbrake cable. Adjust the rear brakes or replace...yes. I'd wager a pound on it needing new shoes.

I'll ask the moderators to move your post so that others in the RAV section can comment.

I can well imagine that the tank has to come off or at least dropped down. However you are doing yourself no favours by taking an NRG to a main dealer. You would do far better going to a good local garage and asking them for a quote and DON'T mention the quote from the dealer or you will find it will be £600!!!

If you ask nicely, either anchorman or Big Kev will come up and do it for you .... I'd offer but I've removed the tank twice before and no longer fit/able to do it again.

I can well imagine that the tank has to come off or at least dropped down. However you are doing yourself no favours by taking an NRG to a main dealer. You would do far better going to a good local garage and asking them for a quote and DON'T mention the quote from the dealer or you will find it will be £600!!!

The quote was from the local garage!!