Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaking Aygo

burstner

the wife has a 58 plate aygo with only 8000 mile on and it leaks still had new door speaker membranes and new door seals allround and a new carpet all under warranty and the rear passenger footwell still fills with water no leaks in the boot yet . water comes in on the rear corner of the passenger door seal i know because i have watched it anybody any sugestions where i go from here is there a modified door seal available from toyota or do just take it back to toyota and demand a yaris

the wife has a 58 plate aygo with only 8000 mile on and it leaks still had new door speaker membranes and new door seals allround and a new carpet all under warranty and the rear passenger footwell still fills with water no leaks in the boot yet . water comes in on the rear corner of the passenger door seal i know because i have watched it anybody any sugestions where i go from here is there a modified door seal available from toyota or do just take it back to toyota and demand a yaris

I doubt they'd give you a Yaris! And it wouldn't be as cheap to run as the Aygo... but, I'd definitely take it back and tell them the situation. Either they give you a new Aygo, they fix the leaks, whatever... but they should do something. Try not to hate the car for it :P Hope you get it fixed!

Having looked at other cars the problem becomes clear. Most cars have two seals and have been designed so water doesn't sit on the seals unlike the Aygo. I dont think their is a seal in the world that could cure this problem. Its all down to poor design and cost saving. To be honest I think if it happens to mine I wont ever touch an Aygo again.

It is very suprising that Toyota have not got to grips with the leakage problem. Baiscally it is not a problem with the C1 or 107 who both have only one seal on the doors. As far as the Aygo the Speakers in the front doors was the reason for water ingress in the front I believe water in the back is due to the different shape of the Aygo door which has a bulge to accomodate the hoizontal light cluster. The wiring into the horozontal cluster is at a lower level than on the C1 107 and the water thrown up under the rear skirt finds its way into the boot.

In America there would be a class action against Toyota as cars that leak are clearly not fit for the purpose.

My daughter had a 2007 Aygo that had the door membranes, all door seals, carpets and light clusters replaced.... but after all the work the car still leaked :ffs:

The best way she could find to cure the leaks was to buy a Renault Clio.... a far better quality build :yes:

As far as my daughter's overall experience is concerned the Aygo is an awful car.... remember it is not a TRUE Toyota as they do not build it :huh:

.... remember it is not a TRUE Toyota as they do not build it :huh:

The Aygo factory in Czechoslovakia is a joint venture between Toyota and PSA, and is called TPCA - which stands for 'Toyota, Peugeot and Citroen Automobiles'. So Aygos are indirectly built by Toyota as part of the joint venture.

Compared to the Aygo, our 2007 Mazda 2 (the model built between 2003 and 2007) is far less of a Mazda. It is based on the Ford Fusion, was built on the Fiesta/Fusion production line in Valencia, and all the running gear, engines, etc are Ford. At least the Aygos use the Toyota petrol engines.

The Aygo factory in Czechoslovakia is a joint venture between Toyota and PSA, and is called TPCA - which stands for 'Toyota, Peugeot and Citroen Automobiles'. So Aygos are indirectly built by Toyota as part of the joint venture.

Compared to the Aygo, our 2007 Mazda 2 (the model built between 2003 and 2007) is far less of a Mazda. It is based on the Ford Fusion, was built on the Fiesta/Fusion production line in Valencia, and all the running gear, engines, etc are Ford. At least the Aygos use the Toyota petrol engines.

Yes I know..... that is why I used the word 'TRUE'.... in my opinion the Aygo is not a Toyota but a hybrid build put together by a less than acceptable production line :huh:

Whilst I found driving an Aygo quite fun my daughter had a far less than acceptable ownership experience and neither she nor I would or could recommend this car ever again :no:

Yes I know..... that is why I used the word 'TRUE'.... in my opinion the Aygo is not a Toyota but a hybrid build put together by a less than acceptable production line :huh:

Whilst I found driving an Aygo quite fun my daughter had a far less than acceptable ownership experience and neither she nor I would or could recommend this car ever again :no:

You always get bad examples, and they are the only ones you hear about especially on forums. I know a fair few aygo's do leak and I'm by no means saying that is satisfactory, but I bet its a relatively very small number with the problem and to cast all Aygo's off as bad cars is not fair! Its unfortunate that your daughter had such a bad experience... she was just unlucky with hers!

You always get bad examples, and they are the only ones you hear about especially on forums. I know a fair few aygo's do leak and I'm by no means saying that is satisfactory, but I bet its a relatively very small number with the problem and to cast all Aygo's off as bad cars is not fair! Its unfortunate that your daughter had such a bad experience... she was just unlucky with hers!

Whilst I appreciate and in some way agree with your words it is far from acceptable or satisfactory that a car should retain such a serious fault over such a long period of time without a real design repair.

I sincerely hope that Toyota do not enter into such a relationship with PCA again as should they do so they will get their fingers burnt.... again.

Whilst I appreciate and in some way agree with your words it is far from acceptable or satisfactory that a car should retain such a serious fault over such a long period of time without a real design repair.

I sincerely hope that Toyota do not enter into such a relationship with PCA again as should they do so they will get their fingers burnt.... again.

I agree with jjj_aygo in this. Yes it's bad that Toyota haven't found a fix, but it really doesn't mean the Aygo as a whole is a bad car. There are just some bad examples, as there are with every other type of car. Toyota will continue to work with PSA Peugeot-Citroen for the Aygo/107/C1 replacements; a good move seeing as the current cars have been such successes. I'm sure the leak problems will be ironed out for all three cars' sakes.

My wife's car had the same problem. I smeared a thin film of silicone grease on the top edge, and one third of the way down the sides of the seal. The door has never leaked again over a period of six months.

Hello All, second post here.

So the Aygo my OH has is terrible for water inside, so much so, all windows steam up constantly. Well weather related in UK is well wet recently.

Only way they will clear is blower on full and hot. Or AC on all the time.

Is there a real solution to this as its beyond a joke for a car which is 2 months old.

THanks.

So the Aygo my OH has is terrible for water inside, so much so, all windows steam up constantly. Well weather related in UK is well wet recently.

Is there a real solution to this as its beyond a joke for a car which is 2 months old.

THanks.

All the small cars my wife has had have been the same, steam up very quickly, especially early in the morning.

The only solution I've found is to put a/c on and blower on full till it's cleared.

Mind you the quick steam facility is handy when playing with the girlfriend in the carpark :thumbsup::thumbsup:

THanks.

Make sure you have the blower positioned to the "front windscreen" position... turn it to the third of fourth notch for a minute, and it should normally clear without putting the AC on. It does for me. It makes me wonder how people ever managed without heaters, let alone ones which can direct their air at the front windscreen! If it's the side windows that are particularly bad, open the air vents and direct them to the side windows. If the front it bad, then close the air vents so that the air can concentrate on de-misting the windscreen. Maybe there's just a problem with the system. If my suggestions don't work, try taking it in to see Mr Toyota.

Well thanks for the warm welcome. Being a car enthusiast that was a bit of a ****** answer to anyone.

You not think anyone with some sense would have pointed it to the front window.

Its not just the front window, all windows, including the boot window are steamed up. Handy yes for carpark fun, but not fun when first getting into a car at any time of day and waiting till it steams away.

Easily fixed with air con yes, but it shouldnt be constantly steaming up when driving with no blowers on.

I have checked everything to which could be wet, only thing was mats, but ive whipped them out and dried them fully to test this. Still steams up.

Well thanks for the warm welcome. Being a car enthusiast that was a bit of a ****** answer to anyone.

You not think anyone with some sense would have pointed it to the front window.

Its not just the front window, all windows, including the boot window are steamed up. Handy yes for carpark fun, but not fun when first getting into a car at any time of day and waiting till it steams away.

Easily fixed with air con yes, but it shouldnt be constantly steaming up when driving with no blowers on.

I have checked everything to which could be wet, only thing was mats, but ive whipped them out and dried them fully to test this. Still steams up.

Well that was a bit disrespectful and unnecessary.

Sometimes if we don't know the full story, we have to be as helpful as possible. I am a car enthusiast like yourself, but not everyone that uses this site is. Some just want answers and nothing more. A car is going to steam up at some point in this weather - the air inside the car is hot, therefore the windows will mist up. In Winter I generally drive around with the blower on the lowest setting, just to ensure air is entering the car, it's barely noticeable. This can be accentuated on cars that have leaked and is especially prevalent in small cars where there is less space for air to circulate. There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago - I suggest you read it - where the owner of that car was having the same problem. We suggested avoiding using the "circulate" function in that instance; the owner had been driving around with the 'circulate' mode on, which of course leads to the windows steaming up. I'm not saying that's what you've done, but I'm just reinforcing the fact that it can happen in small cars. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but perhaps just wait and see if anyone else has a better idea. :D

Make sure the air recirculation slider is in the correct position (to the right). Often when I drive the Aygo I Inadvertently knock the slider to the left resulting in steamed up windows.

Nope checked that,its set to draw air from outside and heat.

If you leave the blower on say 2 - steams up, only when its at 4 and on hot it will clear.

Im talking even before the winter this was the case. There is damp in the car and im trying to see what common faults are from this.

I have even checked results with the circulate and drawing from outside air, still no change.

Im considering taking seals off now, but i shouldnt need to as its only 3 months max old. Yes i know it would have lain around in a warehouse carpark for months, but still shouldnt do this.

So what solutions have you Aygo boys come up with or seen to have fixed this? Silicon sealant on the seals near the top of the bulge in the door? Last resort to be doing that though.

sounds just like the wifes hers steamed up to begin with then developed into 18mm of water in rear footwell take the seals off at the bottom and check wet carpet and underlay ours going into toyota garage again 3rd time for more seals and carpet s this saturday surely toyota must have come up eith some seals that work its agood job this car lives in a garage and not outside geting pretty fed up with this car now

I have been having awful problems with condensation in my 59 Aygo, and complained about this to Toyota when I took my car in today for its first service.

I was told that so many people had complained about this problem Toyota has redesigned the seals and will fit new ones to my car under warranty. I refused the bodge-up solution a few months ago of the extra strip of rubber which I thought looked terrible and I'm glad now that I did. They'll be do the job next week, and it'll take about an hour or so.

I'm looking forward to seeing if this resolves the problems. In nearly 50 years of driving, many of those years in cars without air conditioning and without a heater, I have never ever experienced condensation problems like this.

Do you park yours in the rain? I did with mine.

Loved driving it, but gave up on my 107 after five years of leaks put in the trade (in another county did n't want to set eyes on it again, though I saw it for a grand more on autotrader and I was n't upset, thought I was well rid!) when I spilt some paint in the boot, I took the carpets out of the sides to clean them, and saw rust in the wells around the top of the rear suspension towers. Don't get me started on clutch ware and the oil consumption.

The car's build quality and attention to detail was a real disappointment, a shame because it was always light on fuel and a nice drive, but it will be a while before I put a Peugeot or a Toyota again on my list.

I am sharing a Golf (I find it hard to park ;o) ) at the moment, but am thinking of a Fabia Greenline II if I get another car, they are 89CO2, wondered if anybody else had tried one?

By the way thanks for the high ratings on my photos who ever looked at them :) )

And good luck with your Aygos, they are a nice drive, just a shame the penny pinching lets them down, guess that is what is known as globalization and we are just little people,(it's not just Aygos either I was talking to a guy with a diesel Hyundai which is rated at 62mpg and he said he was lucky if he got 45mpg on an A road run to work).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links