Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Srs/airbag Red Light On But No Fault Codes Read

Dmitriy

Hi All,

Got an SRS/Airbag red light permanently ON in my Avensis 1.8L VVT-i yet my ELM 327 scanner does not retrieve any fault codes pertaining to SRS/Airbag.

Do I need a special scanner that can read those fault codes?

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

Hi All,

Got an SRS/Airbag red light permanently ON in my Avensis 1.8L VVT-i yet my ELM 327 scanner does not retrieve any fault codes pertaining to SRS/Airbag.

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

Check the wiring/connections to the seat belt pre- tensioners under the front seats as this is a common cause especially when the seats are moved back and forward a lot.:yes:

Pete.

Hi Pete (t-spiritpete),

I did see a cable with a connector under each front seat but supposed they belong to the side airbags?

D.

of course you wont get any fault coz elm327 is only for engine fault code. u have special scanner for srs airbag but it cost a lot so i suggest you to go to a garage or toyota dealer to have it checked maybe plug got disconnected as airbag sensor r difficult to fail

Hi badboys44,

I think you're talking about the likes of Autel MD801 or AA101. Are there any places to rent a scanner like that?

I would like to troubleshoot this issue myself, not only because of the cost considerations but also simply out of interest in the process itself.

So I'm going to start with checking the related connectors and wiring.

D.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

Another possibility that occured with mine is the cable in the steering column that connects to the airbag, sometimes called a clockspring cable.

Mine sanpped which affected the horn, the airbag and the steering wheel audio controls. The air bag light came on until the cable was fixed.

• 1 month later...

Another possibility that occured with mine is the cable in the steering column that connects to the airbag, sometimes called a clockspring cable.

Mine sanpped which affected the horn, the airbag and the steering wheel audio controls. The air bag light came on until the cable was fixed.

Hi funkyg,

Thanks for your reply - my horn works OK but the steering wheel audio controls aren't working. Worth checking this clockspring cable and plate indeed.

Best Regards,

Dmitriy

• 2 months later...

OK the root cause turned out to be that the driver's airbag cable was simply not connected to the airbag, so no surprise the warning light was always on. It's off now.

A funny side finding: the clockspring/ribbon/squib (or whatever is the right name of this part) installed apparently came from a different car model as it only had airbag and horn circuits, so no surprise the steering wheel mounted stereo remote control didn't work either. It actually took me quite a while to figure out how this clockspring can pass the signals of 6 different circuits via only 2 pins in the connector before I realised it's just the wrong part. Everything works with the right one in place now.

Many thanks for everyone's feedback. Focusing on the clockspring was the very right thing to do.