Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4-D 2003Reg Oil Leakage

JohnYossarian

Hello All,

Merry Christmas!

I am afraid the topic of my post is not that festive. A month ago I went to Kwik Fit for an oil change (I keep replacing the oil at every 5000 miles between services). I have done this before and no problem, they would usually leave a few millimeters above the top mark on the dip stick but this is what I get at Toyota garage as well. This was the main reason for not checking it immediately after the oil change. I made almost 500 miles and checked the level and to my dismay I discovered that the oil was higher than the top mark by 1 cm. I immediately took the car back to the garage and asked them to reduce the level. They did something and I left, but on the next day after the oil had settled I discovered that it was still too high so I took it back to the garage. I was left with about 4 mm higher than the top mark.

Yesterday, after the temperatures went up a bit I found a leakage beneath the car, something that has NEVER happened before and I was furious as the car never burnt any oil let alone leaking.

I am asking for your advice, should I take it with Qwik Fit and get the gasket that was blown as a result of the overfill replaced or should I get the car investigated at Toyota and have their verdict for it? I have no idea what gasket has gone but even though it is a few drops overnight, I do not fancy driving a car with oil leakage, however small. I would expect that the leakage would increase as soon as the temperatures go up.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Jordan

Jordan,

Sorry to hear about it, I was kwik fit fan but lately they have been playing with customer since their profits fell below their targets.

You must watch documentry of BBC watch dog on them.

I have some problems with them lately and I will leave it for later to mention.

In your case, Kwik fit will not be very helpful now, go to toyota (I would prefer it) or independent garage and get it inspected. If the outcome is positive (leakage), make it clear and get it written down on letter headed paper and then take it to kwik fit and see what they say.

If no positive response from your local kwik fit then you have to write to head office.

Unfortunately they do not do engine work, so if there is anything serious, they may compensate it with cheque.

But one thing is for sure, the management is very strict and they will investigate it and manager may lose his job. I am saying it, as it happened with two managers in my local kwik fit. Customers complained, and investigation showed that they were involved in wrong doing and they were fired. In one case one manager gave go ahead to replace the spare part with used one, and he was fired on this.

Well as said management is strict, so you may find positive results from head office.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Before chasing what may be a fruitless outcome with good old Kwikkers get a proper assessment of the situation - no point on getting egg on your face eh!!

It could be the oil level is increasing itself due to a fuel or combustion fault.:)

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your quick replies!

I took the car to Qwik Fit (the guy I usually talk to is a very reasonable chap) and they had a look. It turned out the gear box oil was leaking out. It is such an unfortunate coincidence, recent oil change/overfill and the leak. They let me have a look and recommended a place where they do gear boxes. Tomorrow I will take the car to Mr. T for their opinion but I seem to remember that opening the gear box means a lot of work, almost the same as for a clutch change (please, tell me I am wrong) and I am just pre-calculating the cost of the leak.

Can anyone guess what could have gone wrong with the gear box for it to leak?

Cheers,

Jordan

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your quick replies!

I took the car to Qwik Fit (the guy I usually talk to is a very reasonable chap) and they had a look. It turned out the gear box oil was leaking out. It is such an unfortunate coincidence, recent oil change/overfill and the leak. They let me have a look and recommended a place where they do gear boxes. Tomorrow I will take the car to Mr. T for their opinion but I seem to remember that opening the gear box means a lot of work, almost the same as for a clutch change (please, tell me I am wrong) and I am just pre-calculating the cost of the leak.

Can anyone guess what could have gone wrong with the gear box for it to leak?

Cheers,

Jordan

There you go - poor old Kwikers getting slated off for nothing - just shows it pays to hold fire until all the facts are gathered eh!!

The most common cause of a gearbox leak is usually a failing drive-shaft seal which can be repaired without removing the gearbox.

Good luck and keep us posted.:)

Hi James,

I stand corrected with regard to Kwik Fit guys!

Thank you for the head ups concerning the leak from the gear box. I hope it is the seal you talk about and tomorrow I will visit my local Toyota for their advice/help.

Cheers,

Jordan

Happy New Year everyone!

I simply would like to tell you the end (touching wood at the moment :)) of the story.

I took the car to Toyota (once again great service, called them at 10 am had the car looked at at 11:30 am) and only mentioned the oil leak.

10 minutes later the guy came back explaining that the screw for emptying the gear box had been loose which had been the reason for the leak. They topped up the oil, tightened the screw and off I went.

I was dreading the seal replacement especially after having looked at Autodata repair timings. The quoted work for replacement of input drive shaft oil seal was about 8 hours.

All in all, things like that make Toyota great to be part of. Great service and very quick too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Once again, I have to apologise to the Kwik Fit guys! They did their job and did not cause the leak, although next time when I change my oil I will be checking the oil level immediately after that :)

Cheers,

Jordan

Happy New Year everyone!

I simply would like to tell you the end (touching wood at the moment :)) of the story.

I took the car to Toyota (once again great service, called them at 10 am had the car looked at at 11:30 am) and only mentioned the oil leak.

10 minutes later the guy came back explaining that the screw for emptying the gear box had been loose which had been the reason for the leak. They topped up the oil, tightened the screw and off I went.

I was dreading the seal replacement especially after having looked at Autodata repair timings. The quoted work for replacement of input drive shaft oil seal was about 8 hours.

All in all, things like that make Toyota great to be part of. Great service and very quick too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Once again, I have to apologise to the Kwik Fit guys! They did their job and did not cause the leak, although next time when I change my oil I will be checking the oil level immediately after that :)

Cheers,

Jordan

Good to hear that you have sorted it and in very best way. cheers.