Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Considering An Iq

Zorrosmart

Hi, my first post

Been looking at the Toyota iq for while, being diehard smart fan, the iq would be first city car I've considered in 10years

I've got some questions:

When is the diesel model coming to the uk?

At the moment the 1.33 is the quickest model, but reading articles, they say gear ratios are too tall, is it true?

I've also read about 1.33 having a supercharged engine, TTE conversion ? Like the previous model yaris?

Sorry for the questions, any other advice would be helpful.

Have to say the iq dashboard looks really stylish

Thanks

Maybes we is all to hungover to reply!!! No doubt someone will be along............in the meantime:

All I can say is I have an IQ2 and have always found the engine to be nice and 'pokey'......ok is takes a little winding up but it has never let me down. I often overtake bigger motors on the motorway quite happily. It does wind down quickly on going up hill and you have to change down then but it still goes ok in a lower gear. :thumbsup:

hi all i can say is dont buy one, my iq 2 multidrive only gets 39 mpg in the winter, i must add i dont thrash it either, for the money the iq costs you can get a car that will do a lot more mpg.

thanks for the initial replies, mpg is something worth keeping an eye on as fuel prices increase. I'm slightly surprised of the iq giving 39mpg.

I could understand that on fast driving style.

32309.png

My smart is thrashed within inch of it's life as a commuter car, it does roughly 400miles week on A&B roads.

I'm interested a lot in the supercharged iq, I like wok in she eps clothing :thumbsup:

Considered a Yaris D4D? :thumbsup:

Pity they don't make 1.3L Aygos anymore :(

The IQ does have a nicer interior than those two, but I don't think it's as fun to drive :S

hi all i can say is dont buy one, my iq 2 multidrive only gets 39 mpg in the winter, i must add i dont thrash it either, for the money the iq costs you can get a car that will do a lot more mpg.

Manual transmission seems to be a little better *CLICK ON BANNER FOR RESULTS :thumbsup: * 25811.png

Hi Zorrosmart, I notice from your fueling banner that you have the Fourtwo CDi. My Mum runs a Fourtwo passion (petrol) and is well impressed.She test drove the CDi model but was put off by the dreadful noise from the CDi engine!!!!.As for the IQ 1.4 diesel version Toyota UK never brought this into play in the UK, for what reason I will never know (they missed a good sale,s pitch there). Go to the Irish Republic and you can get one there, and about every other country in the EU, the mind boggles at these Motor manufacturers sometimes.

Regards Clare :hammer:

hi, I have an iq3 and get around 50-51 mpg running at around 65 mph on the a14 and m6. I don't intentionally drive it to maximise fuel consumption,just steady driving bearing in mind the traffic i'm dealing with on that road,it'll soon run up to over 80 quickly enough . I agree the gearing is rather tall for the engine , but if you ignore the green 'change gear now' lights, keep around the 65 mph/ 2000-2500 rpm she holds top gear all the way , up and down hill.If you follow the light , you'll wear yer left arm out on it.

The motor suits me fine for commuting and i have a 3 door rav for the weekends.

Considered a Yaris D4D? :thumbsup:

Pity they don't make 1.3L Aygos anymore :(

The IQ does have a nicer interior than those two, but I don't think it's as fun to drive :S

Sorry yaris is not an option, I read a good diesel engine, but don't understand why not for iq in uk, crazy! :ffs:

Hi Zorrosmart, I notice from your fueling banner that you have the Fourtwo CDi. My Mum runs a Fourtwo passion (petrol) and is well impressed.She test drove the CDi model but was put off by the dreadful noise from the CDi engine!!!!.As for the IQ 1.4 diesel version Toyota UK never brought this into play in the UK, for what reason I will never know (they missed a good sale,s pitch there). Go to the Irish Republic and you can get one there, and about every other country in the EU, the mind boggles at these Motor manufacturers sometimes.

Regards Clare :hammer:

Clare, engine is fine in the fortwo, yes it can get vocal, but that's largely down to being in rear behind driver, I suggest your mum looks at new fortwo petrol, it's Mitsubishi engine and sewing machine smooth.

hi, I have an iq3 and get around 50-51 mpg running at around 65 mph on the a14 and m6. I don't intentionally drive it to maximise fuel consumption,just steady driving bearing in mind the traffic i'm dealing with on that road,it'll soon run up to over 80 quickly enough . I agree the gearing is rather tall for the engine , but if you ignore the green 'change gear now' lights, keep around the 65 mph/ 2000-2500 rpm she holds top gear all the way , up and down hill.If you follow the light , you'll wear yer left arm out on it.

Is the iq3 the 1.33 engine? I was hoping for 50mpg if I buy one. Thanks for confirming about the gear ratios being on tall side, I guess to improve mpg?

Any info on the supercharged upgrade? I would have thought T T E would have some kind of upgrade for buyers.

I've got an iQ3 Multidrive and it's mainly used around town. I don't drive it around fast and am lucky if I see 40 MPG.

Hi, I have an IQ2 with Mutidrive ( 2011 spec. )and get 36mpg around town. Regular trips on the M5 at around 60/65 mph give 61mpg. far better than my previous smart451. The IQ is less noisy, has more interior space, better build quality, and is generally more pleasant drive.

Hi Zorrosmart,my Mum does have the one with Mitzi engine

Regards Clare

hi

Iq3 , 1.33 engine and mine has the 6 speed manual box. I guess the multidrive pulls down the mpg figures a bit.I would think my average mpg will go up to around the 52-53 mark during the summer.

just filled up 38 mpg iq2 multidrive my 1600 nissan note auto did more than that, and it was a 5 seater.

I've had my iQ D-4D for a couple of weeks now, it replaced my 2007 Smart diesel. Very happy with the change - like a different class of car but then again, it's quite a bit more initally.

I just completed 3900km this weekend driving from South of France to Liverpool and back for new year. No problems though it brought a few things to the fore that coule be improved on Series III....

1/ Armrests - need a central one

2/ Needs cruise control

3/ Could do with a bigger fuel tank - though it does around 600km / tankful without trying too hard and that's far enough without a toilet stop / coffee...

4/ Headlamps on main beam could be a lot better

Other than that, the car used no oil, averaged between 4.1 and 5.1 litres /100km during 4 fill-ups on the way back South without driving like a paid up member of the Greens and was pretty comfortable, all things considered...

Engine had great torque in 5th and even 6th wasn't really a problem to accelerate at motorway speeds.

I look forward to many more miles in the coming months!

Paul

IQ2 CVT - Initially I was getting ~40MPG and after like half year driving and getting used to the car, I can managed to get ~54MPG.

The mpg varies alot depends on the road condition. If the highway is flat, the car can easily average ~55MPG on highway but even if it is slightly uneven, my little IQ consume alot more fuel to stay at 67mph.

From my driving experience, The biggest problem of IQ2 is that the 1000cc engine has to rev up higher to go uphill and end up consuming more fuel.

If your daily routes are uneven and requires to go up and down alot, then an IQ2 probably won't save you much fuel compare to other cars with bigger engine :)

Some other small things you might concern:

1.) Easily scratchable plastic interior

2.) No light at the back seat, you will need a torch to search for stuff at the back at night :)

3.) The car 'vibrate' while being stationary when engine is on. Heard that it happens to all 3 cyliners engine light weight car... The vibration itself is not a big deal and you might not even notice it. However the vibration might generate some disturbing sound if you have small items placed in your car.

p.s. I still love my IQ very much even with all the cons. :rolleyes:

Hi, i have owned a smart pulse, and smart roadster, finally went for toyota IQ3, am 6ft2" and

feel the seating position is too high, IQ is funky looking car but my mate said to me other day You should of got a smart instead !

You can't really compare a Smart and an iQ.

The Smart looks like a toy beside an iQ and the iQ is a different type of car altogether.

OK, they are both small cars, but that is where any comparison should end.

I've got an iQ3 Multidrive and it's mainly used around town. I don't drive it around fast and am lucky if I see 40 MPG.

Very similar to Our IQ3 auto, MPG is higher than the Vauxhall Agilla (1200cc) (36 mpg) that the IQ3 replaced, but no where near the claims in the brouchure.

It does seem that once you get onto a longer run away from town traffic the MPG on ther IQ3 Auto does improve (but not a lot ;-) )

Rgds

Just to add that it seems that the modern generation of engines built to lessen emmisions actually consume more fuel in doing so. A couple of other motoring forums I browse have come up with the comment that the "New emission improved" engines on the same models do less MPG than their forebearers. Maybe thats the price you pay for a reduced Road tax (in the UK)

rgds

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, my first post

Been looking at the Toyota iq for while, being diehard smart fan, the iq would be first city car I've considered in 10years

I've got some questions:

When is the diesel model coming to the uk?

At the moment the 1.33 is the quickest model, but reading articles, they say gear ratios are too tall, is it true?

I've also read about 1.33 having a supercharged engine, TTE conversion ? Like the previous model yaris?

Sorry for the questions, any other advice would be helpful.

Have to say the iq dashboard looks really stylish

Thanks

I don't think the diesel model is coming to the UK. You may be able to get one from Ireland, but I specked one up at 25000 euros. Does about 80 MPG. I have driven both the 6 speed manual and the CVT 1.33 models. The manual is reasonably quick and the CVT was really smooth and I thought the sport switch was very good. You just switch it to the right and this changes the way the enginge and gearbox work. In the iQ brochure, the 1.33 CVT is slightly quicker to 60. However in the 1.0 model it works the other way, with the CVT being slower to 60. If you supercharge it, the fuel consumption, tax and insurance will be far greater. For me the CVT 1.33 was entertaining enough. I have driven a Smart a couple of times and don't like the way the gears change.

Hi I'm looking at buying an iQ3 as I prefer the extra performance. Do you have the manual or multidrive? I know it's expensive, but I would quite like the CVT. What's your opinion?

mines a 6 speed manual jobby, haven't driven a multi drive iq, driven semi auto and auto artics for years with the same set up i'e full auto, power mode/cruise mode, manual overide etc etc. To be honest after the first week or so the novelty wears off for me until i get into a town/city then they come into their own.

so it's a horses for courses job , if your around london most of the time, it would a multidrive, if it was a half and half thing i'd stick with a manual , the 6 speed/1.33 is a lot of fun to drive, and it's the best combo for me as most of my commute is on the a14 and m6.still the good thing with a hilux is , if they dont get out of yer way, DRIVE OVER EM.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links