Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 Avensis Speaker Size?

Rbdett

It is 17 , but even 16.5 fit no problem . well in the front anyway . And 15" Square 1000 wat RMS Kicker subwoofer fits in the boot perfectly too :)

The Speakers I had delivere today were 165mm JBL Speakers.

I've taken a rear door card off to compare the size, and there's no way the Speakers will fit without adapters of some sort. I've had a look for adaptors, but the only ones I can find are Connects2 ones for the rear doors, and nothing for the front doors! It's a joke, so I'm sending the speakers back and will have to put up with my 3 working Toyota crap standard speakers.

Dnt knw y yours doesnt fit , but i fit my 165mm Vibe ones no problem . sure i had to rip the old speaker out with the whole casing of it , and drill new holes but it fit no problem , conected blue led lights is well to the door light so when you open the door the speaker lights up is well . :yahoo:

Mine is 04 Avensis , maybe thats y urs is diferent coz its 05 ? Nt Sure . But i wont do the back not worth it , found better option alpine 6x9s in the boot panel . alpine is magical have to say Radios and Speakers :thumbsup:

Mine is 04 Avensis , maybe thats y urs is diferent coz its 05 ? Nt Sure . But i wont do the back not worth it , found better option alpine 6x9s in the boot panel . alpine is magical have to say Radios and speakers :thumbsup:

Mine's an 04 too. I've only taken off the rear door card, but I imagine the front doors are the same. If I don't use adaptors then I'd be concerned about the rear of the speaker hitting the window when it's fully down as there isn't a lot of space in the door cavity.

i realy dont think they are the same , check out da front when u get a chance , coz as i said i only had to drill 4 new holes , didnt have any other problems with it . Never checked da back1 , i dnt sit in the back anyway :lol:

• 2 months later...

2005 d-4d

back speakers: 5.25"

front: 6.5"

Anyone knows what's their impedance? 2ohm?

It seems each door speaker is connected in parallel with it's tweeter because if you disconnect the tweeter, the door speaker dies (parallel connection is wired in the tweeter connector)

I fitted JBLs at front and back and the sound, although clearer has lost some of its dynamics and punch (I fitted the Speakers on the old speakers' mounts and damped behind them)

2005 d-4d

back speakers: 5.25"

front: 6.5"

Anyone knows what's their impedance? 2ohm?

It seems each door speaker is connected in parallel with it's tweeter because if you disconnect the tweeter, the door speaker dies (parallel connection is wired in the tweeter connector)

I fitted JBLs at front and back and the sound, although clearer has lost some of its dynamics and punch (I fitted the speakers on the old speakers' mounts and damped behind them)

Did you cut the speaker cones out of the plastic surrounds and then mount the JBLs to them?

I have just changed the front Speakers on my mk1 Avensis. I had changed the rears last year. The Speakers I have are JBL GTO 627 16.5 cm, all round.

When I fitted the rears the sound was okay, but could be better. They were fitted directly to the holes. Fitting the fronts, I decided use 6mm mdf to make a spacer/baffles for the shape of the apperture. This made a huge difference to the sound. I made baffles for the rear Speakers and the sound improved a great deal.

Then I realised that wiring was reversed (not out of phase), so changed them around. The sound improved, plus the Sony unit needed less volume.

Careful installional with use of the mdf baffles have made the difference, plus the wiring.

Did you cut the speaker cones out of the plastic surrounds and then mount the JBLs to them?

yep.

be careful though,

the door card's speaker aperture extends inwards in a tubed shape so when you fit the door card the tube lays perfectly on the top of the speaker rim.

When I fitted the Speakers and MDF spacers, I measured the old Speakers to get the right spacing. The speaker is mounted close to the tube of the door card grill, but clear of the window path.

Mk1 Avensis Speakers are similar to Mk2 fronts, the Mk2 rears are a little different, but the rule still applies.

I used the same spacing all round, but the fronts had to be right because the speakers are mounted higher. There are more freedom with the rear speakers, as they are mounted lower in the door, plus the glass only comes down part way.

Here are pictures of my installation taken only last week.

post-76861-0-31501700-1301448889_thumb.j front door

post-76861-0-79504900-1301448957_thumb.j front door

post-76861-0-84153600-1301449035_thumb.j rear door

post-76861-0-45791300-1301449069_thumb.j rear door with card/grill

My JBL;s cost £25 a pair.

I hope this gives vou an idea. :thumbsup:

Thanks for uploading some pictures!

How do the JBLs sound compared to the standard speakers?

The JBL's have a wider frequency and the bass is impressive. The bass is deeper without being boomy. The treble is fine.

The Sony factory unit drives the Speakers well, due to the JBL's being 2 ohms and high sensitivity of 92dB. The volume levels are fairly loud without much distortion. In fact the head unit has now become the limiting factor - I could add a quad amp as there are double pre-outs, but I am happy with it as it is.

The original Speakers had a rounded off bass by comparison. The mid and treble frequencies were okay.

I originally looked at FLi Speakers by Vibe but the reviews and a salesman said they a boomy. It is down personal taste.

When I fitted the speakers and MDF spacers, I measured the old speakers to get the right spacing. The speaker is mounted close to the tube of the door card grill, but clear of the window path.

Mk1 Avensis speakers are similar to Mk2 fronts, the Mk2 rears are a little different, but the rule still applies.

I used the same spacing all round, but the fronts had to be right because the speakers are mounted higher. There are more freedom with the rear speakers, as they are mounted lower in the door, plus the glass only comes down part way.

Here are pictures of my installation taken only last week.

post-76861-0-31501700-1301448889_thumb.j front door

post-76861-0-79504900-1301448957_thumb.j front door

post-76861-0-84153600-1301449035_thumb.j rear door

post-76861-0-45791300-1301449069_thumb.j rear door with card/grill

My JBL;s cost £25 a pair.

I hope this gives vou an idea. :thumbsup:

Further to my post above, the standard speaker protusion from mounting hole on the door to grill tube is over 2.5 cm. The Speakers are 6 cm deep. The JBL's are 5.3 cms deep. The gap to clear the glass is measured at 4.3 cm (if I remembered my measurements). With the spacer the JBL's should fit no problems.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2003 Avensis, the front driver side speaker of which is rattling and not making any meaningful sound. Called Toyota Huddersfield who quoted £94 for just one speaker + one hour labour!!

Is it definately 6.5 inch? Even some very good quality ones are not more than 35-40£ a pair! Can somebody recommend a good auto electrician in West Yorkshire area who can replace this speaker for me please?

Thank you.

Manish.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a mobile auto electrician to install the door Speakers today. Alpine 17 cm 2 way 40W RMS. Was very surprised to see how flimsy the original Speakers were, and Toyota had quoted £94 for 1 speaker + labour.

The installer charged £25 for each door + Speakers £45 and adaptor £12. The original speakers are built into the original adaptor, fitted on rivets which needed drilling out. The adaptor which he used was toyota corrola front door adaptor, which also required drilling into the door. Then the speakers wire required crimping as the original speakers had a special wire adaptor which won't fit on aftermarket speakers.

Manish.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links