Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.3 T-Spirit (56 Plate)

hawkerpaul

Beginning to hear the front pads scraping a bit, so I'm after a new set.

Can anyone recommend a good make (eg. EBC, Blueprint etc.) or should I just stick to stock OEM pads? How much approx. are they from Toyota?

Also, I'm a little confused when looking at various sites for my particular model, as they usually classify the model as

1. Toyota Yaris 1.3 (ABS) 1999-2006

2. Toyota Yaris 1.3 (ABS) 2001-2006

My 56 plate can be in either of these, but for example EBC Greenstuff pads are part no. DP21295 for (1.) and DP21446 for (2.)

I am therefore not 100% sure which category to select.

Many thanks

It can get confusing, i had the same dillema when mine needed new discs & pads.

In the end i got them off Toyota, you give them the cars registration number and they match them so you can buy them there and then from the dealers.

I think there is 2 or 3 different types of pad depending on what calipers you have and if it has ABS or not. :rolleyes:

Just had a look in my service history. The Discs cost me £54.06 each and the pads were £23.09 a set. That was in mid 2009 so prices may have changed.

I'm always weary about people who fit "performance brakes" to their cars for ordinary road use, because brakes need to reach a certain temperature to work best and the idea of "performance" pads is that they are designed for fast road use or track use where they get very hot and they stay warm between applications.

So they work great when you keep them hot and they don't fade as much is you use them in anger - but for normal road use when the brakes are often (or usually) stone cold between applications, they may not work as well as ordinary road pads that are designed to operate at normal ambient temperatures....

That said - there are many different types of ordinary road pads.

Firstly - the main thing to watch out for is that replacement pads are "R90 compliant".

There's actually an OEM standard and as long as the replacement pads are R90 compliant, that means they are at least as good as the pads that were fitted by the manufacturer to the car on the production line.

So as long as they meet that spec, they're as good as the one's you're replacing.

However some brake manufacturers do make a "premium" range for normal road use.

I've had an eye on this Ferodo range for a while for when I next needed brake components.

http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_web/car-products.aspx

They have a "SL" range thats standard but also a premium range that's meant to be even better - in normal road use rather than on a track....

Their part catalogue is also accessible from their main web site:

http://www.fmecat.eu/selProd2.asp?make=111&model=5499&engine=&litre=1.3&prdgrp=2&langID=1&TsVer=&engseal=0

Although it lists two different pads for the 1.3 Yaris, if you click on the part number of each, you get a picture of each part, so either visually or from the pad measurements, you can work out which is the right one for your car by comparing it to what you have now....

Thanks for that mate.

I've been considering Mintex.

Does a 56 plate 1.3 T-Spirit have ABS? I assume it has. This is one question that a few suppliers have been asking me.

If you look at their online catalogue for the 2005-on 1.3 Yaris, they list two pads for the front axle - one for French built cars - which yours will be and one for Japanese.

You can ckeck - your VIN plate (chassis number) starts with a V for French cars and J for Japanese cars.

The Mintex part for French 1.3 2005on Yaris front pads is MDB2769

http://www.mintex.com/

Thanks for that mate.

I emailled camskill for mintex pads and they asked me if my car has Akebono or Teves braking system. Any ideas what they are on about, and which one mine has?

By the way, my VIN does indeed start with a V so its French.

If you go onto the Mintex site and look at their online catalogue for the 2005 on 1.3 Yaris - There are two pads for the car.

The ones it says are for the French car also say they are for the Teves brake system and the one that says its for a Japanese car say they're for the Akebono brake system.

It also says that the ones for the French car are for cars with ABS.

So all the questions you're being asked are from the description of the pads on the suppliers site from which they are trying to ascertain which of the two is for your car.

So to be sure you could take a wheel off and make sure that your pads looked the same as the picture of the French part for Teves brakes or you could just gamble, because they only list one option for French 1.3 2005on Yaris... MDB2769

My local Toyota garage quoted me £80 to supply+fit. (pads alone were £40)

However, I'm considering the Mintex route, and found the correct front pads PLUS discs for £90. As I am not contemplating selling the Yaris for a good few years, I am seriously considering this for the extra £10, but of course I'd have to fit myself.

I've done pads+discs a number of times on my Gen7 Celica, so I was wondering is changing the front pads+discs on a Yaris an easy job too? Are there any quirks particular to the Yaris that I should be made aware of before diving in?

Thanks again folks!

:thumbsup:

"My local Toyota garage quoted me £80 to supply+fit. (pads alone were £40)"

Are you sure £80 all in? West Riding Toyota quoted me £250 3 months ago! (They also said it was a discounted quote at that)

If that price still stands I would not hesitate and would have them fitted, (OEM and all that!)

Yes mate. Toyota (Newport)

Their normal price to supply+fit front pads is around £125, but special rate at the moment.

"My local Toyota garage quoted me £80 to supply+fit. (pads alone were £40)"

Are you sure £80 all in? West Riding Toyota quoted me £250 3 months ago! (They also said it was a discounted quote at that)

If that price still stands I would not hesitate and would have them fitted, (OEM and all that!)

OEM pads are made by someone for Toyota and Mintex and Ferodo are both premium brands that will be to OEM quality - they could even supply some manufacturers....

If you read the Ferodo web site, you will see that they actually use 60 different compounds of friction material in their Premium range so that the friction material is bespoke to car that the pads are designed for.

Purely down to your personal choice, but I'd have no issue using Mintex products - especially as you can get disks and pads for the same price as the pads fitted at your dealer.

B ut before you decide, have you checked the disks for wear? In these asbestos-free days, the harder pads wear out the disks. My Audi's pads are only half worn but the disks are almost worn out. Worth double checking you don't really need disks too before going down the Toyota route, unless you're prepared to spend the extra cash on those from there too...

A bit of googling suggests that the post-2006 model's disks are 22mm thick when new and the minimum thickness is 20.0mm.

Just ordered a set of Mintex pads+discs of eBay for £90.

Thought for the extra tenner (compared to fitting pads alone with Toyota) I may as well go the whole hog and get the discs as well and fit them myself.

The current discs didnt seem too bad, but they do have quite a lip around the rim so thought I may as well change them too.

When I get the Mintex discs I'll Hammerite the drum and around the edge of the rim before fitting to keep them looking nice and stop them from rusting.

Another job for me to to now! :rolleyes:

Yes mate. Toyota (Newport)

Their normal price to supply+fit front pads is around £125, but special rate at the moment.

:unsure: Sorry I must have misunderstood you when you said £80 supply & fit, I thought the quote was for discs AND pads (senior moment!) that's why I couldn't beleive the £80 price tag!

It's no wonder you've opted for the Mintex set for £10 more! :rolleyes:

When I get the Mintex discs I'll Hammerite the drum and around the edge of the rim before fitting to keep them looking nice and stop them from rusting.

I'm not sure 'Hammerite' is suitable for the high temperatures the discs reach, I would go for a high temp paint such as 'Hycote'or similar (Wilco Motosave seem to be cheapest) or if you prefer the more expensive caliper paint.

No problems with Hammerite whatsoever mate.

I've done it for years and keeps the discs looking spot on.

I've just done my Audi with the Hycote heat resistant paint. Seems to have worked OK.

It does say you have to bake it afterwards at a certain temperature to cure the paint, but I just made sure I applied the brakes moderately for the first week so that I didn't create too much heat too quickly otherwise the paint might bubble if its heated too much before its "cured".

I did the edge of the disks in black and the calipers in "Aluminium" colour.

Be careful I got "silver" or "silver/grey" for the calipers originally and it just comes out like a grey primer colour - not what you want at all....

Cheapest I found for mine was a marketplace seller on Amazon.....

Also be careful if you paint the central part of the disks, as you need to keep the face of the disk clean where the wheel fits against it. You don't want to paint that part (especially with a thick paint like Hammerite) as you might alter the wheel alignment or risk the wheel nuts not properly fastening with the wheel seated on soft paint and possible working loose.

Thats right mate, I only ever paint the visible sidewall of the drum.

I'm amazed more people dont do this, along with the edge of the disc's rim, as its a very easy job and it keeps the discs looking 1 million percent better for years, and basically cuts out all corrosion

I used to paint the calipers of my Celica (hammerite copper, which is more like gold to be honest) and they looked great.

Not sure if i will bother with the yaris as the calipers can hardly be seen anyway. I'll see how I feel when I start the job!

The seller I bought the discs+pads off eBay is now saying he has no mintex discs left on the shelf and mintex is out of stock. (Why the hell were they for sale on eBay in the first place I ask myself!!!)

We've established the front pads for 56 plate 1.3 Yaris French VIN Teves braking system is part no MDB2769

Looking at the Mintex site, there seems to be 3 possibilities for part no for the discs, ie:

MDC1832

=======

Trade Numbers: 98200 1642

Fitting Position: Front Axle

Vehicle Production Country: France, Brake Disc Type: Internally Vented, Ø: 258 mm, Br. Disc Thickness: 22,0 mm, Height: 46,2 mm, Hole Pitch / Number: 04/06, Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info 2: without wheel hub, without wheel studs

MDC2061

=======

Trade Numbers: 98200 1562 0 1

Vehicle Production Country: Japan, Braking / Drive Dynamics: For vehicles with ABS, Brake Disc Type: Internally Vented, Ø: 275 mm, Br. Disc Thickness: 22,0 mm, Height: 46,3 mm, Hole Pitch / Number: 04/06, Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info 2: without wheel hub, without wheel studs

MDC2062

=======

Trade Numbers: 98200 1561 0 1

Vehicle Production Country: Japan, Braking / Drive Dynamics: for vehicles without ABS, Brake Disc Type: Internally Vented, Ø: 255 mm, Br. Disc Thickness: 22,0 mm, Height: 46,3 mm, Hole Pitch / Number: 04/06, Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info 2: without wheel hub, without wheel studs

I may now have to order discs separately from pads, so I'd like to ensure I'm getting the correct ones. Any idea which of these (if any!) is the correct disc for my Yaris? Going by the country, I assume its the first one, but would like to be sure.

I would imagine it being the first one if it's French mate. This is why i got mine from Mr T to avoid the confusion! It's ridiculous how they can have so many variations just for discs & pads. I had the same hassle when i changed mine.

Good luck sorting it but when you do it's a really simple job to change them, the discs are not even fastened to the hub by screws, instead the calliper & pads just holds it on. :thumbsup:

Cheers mate.

I cancelled my order as the seller wanted to send me a set of discs supplied by Comline instead of the Mintex and was only prepared to offer a £10 discount. The Comline discs are over £25 cheaper on the Comline website compared to the set I was buying. If he offered £20 off I would have considered it.

Anyone heard of Comline discs before? If so, are they any good.

Never heard of Comline discs sorry. You could allways do a Google search on them to find out what other people have said about them though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links