Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wow There, Mr Gt 4

Racingmcfly

Had a little bit of a scare at the weekend, almost crashed through a hedge. Was doing around 80mph and thought i give the brakes a little test. Anyway was braking pretty hard and the rear end locked up and the backend went swinging out to the left. Quickly dropped the brakes and managed to get it back before leaving the road through a hedge. :o

First thing is im wondering why my ST205 hasnt got abs. I thought they all had it or was it an optional extra. (theres is no abs pump etc)

Secondly does anyone know if there is a weight activated brake bios valve. ie more load in the back the better the rear brakes work. All the pads appear to have ample material on them. The only thing is the front brake discs have been uprated for the grooved variety which I believe where probable fitted in japan, and the previous/uk owner said he had replaced the pads with geniune toyota parts. So I was thinking maybe the rear pads have some uprated pad material in them casueing them to lock first?

Anyone any ideas to this quite scary prob!!! :o

Cheers

Ollie

ABS was an option on Jap cars, though standard on all UK models. The ABS actuator lives in the front drivers side of the engine bay.

It's rare to lock the rears, especially if there are uprated discs on the front. I suppose the rears could be some crazy material but IMHO probably not. I'd say you might need to look at bleeding your brakes as a minimum but TBH you probably just hit a funny bit of camber on the road or something, can happen.

If you are concerned then Toyota do a complete caliper overhaul kit for the front calipers, it's not hugely expensive, about £40 IIRC.