Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smell Of Petrol Inside Car

trev3635

Hi all, there is a smell of petrol inside my avensis gls 1.8 t reg. I've had a look under the rear seat where the fuel pump/sender is located and cant smell anything or see an y leaks there or under the car. I have noticed that there is a slight smell of petrol coming from the exhaust, could this be wafting inside the car? And could it be the car is running a bit rich? The car drives and idles as smooth as a babies bum. Any ideas? Thanks.

If the smell is as you say (like petrol) it won't be because the car is running rich. Totally different smell to petrol, impossible for me to describe but once you have smelt it you will remember. If it smells like petrol chances are it is petrol. Also if you can smell it on the move the first place to look is under the bonnet as it will waft into the car through the various holes in the bulkhead and through the vents. See if you can sniff out the problem, if not just a methodical check of you fuel system.

Well finally found what is causing the smell. Filled the car brim full today, parked it on the drive, half an hour later i could smell a light whiff of petrol so went outside to check the car and there was a big puddle of petrol on the floor. Up on the ramps to have a look and it's leaking from the between the join where the two halves of the tank are joined. Luckily i am breaking my carina for parts so hopefully the tank off that will be the same.

Common place for a tank to fail that is. The metal seems to be more prone to rusting after the welding process. I once 'fixed' the same problem on an Astra by removing the tank, cleaning it up, treating the rust with CuRust and then applying about 3 coats of Hamerite. That was a good while ago and I don't think I would do it again, but then I had bought the car for a single can of Warsteiner lager so I didn't spend too much on maintenance. Cam belt gave up before the fuel tank though!

From what I understand it's quite common for the tanks on these to spring a leak. Had one for ages on my 1998 R 1.8. Finally tracked it down to a pinprick corrosion hole just above the seam . Used a leak fix compund and a small self tapping screw. Thoroughly cleaned the area down to bare metal, smeared the leak fix stuff on the screw and screwed it in to the hole. Then built a mound of sealant round the screw.

Job done and it's been fine (leak wise) ever since.