Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt Broken

hasky

hi, ok il give it ago over the weekend as i have to goto work now, the core plug is squashed in the middle than means it must have got in the timing belt abd pulley, i will first find the hole, then il buy a new core plug.

il keep u guys posted,

thanks for all the help so far guys!! :thumbsup:

prettty sure you found the core plug it will be slightly concave in shape'

it must have been the cause of the belt breaking as its jammed between the belt and a pulley.

if the plug is not too bad it can be refitted.but best buy a new one.your going to have to find the hole it came out of in the block, you may have to strip things off the engine to gain access to this hole such as manifolds.

when you find this hole it wiil have a recess in it for the plug.this recess has to be cleaned thoroughly.then put some jointing compound in recess.fit the pug into the hole,the concave side towards the block.when your sure the plug is pushed right home.take hammer at hit the middle of the plug enough to spread the plug tight in the receess of the hole.well thats how they used to be fiited when i was on the tools as they say.

modern car engines are not as easy to get at as they use to be so good luck.

it will do no harm to put some BARS SEAL in your rad (not expansion tank.)it will stop any weeping from the core plug.get at any motor shop.

further to my earlier post.this wont be the only core plug in your block.have a good look around to see if any other ones show signs of being pushed out by the ice, they will be on both sides of your engine.you dont want one thats been moved,popping out a a later time even though its not leaking at present.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, jus thought il let u know of the update on what iv done so far,

iv located the major water leak, had to remove the exhaust manifold cover, and it was jus behind the manifold, it was a half popped out big core plug, so i got the wrench extender and hammered it back in, this has stopped the major leak, but theres still a very small dripping somewhere, i cant find the small core plug i found near the timing belt cover, iv chekd at the front of the engine and thers only 3 big core plugs, which one of em was loose, that ok now but i cant seem to find the small core plug, it looks like the leak is coming from near the waterpump pulley, but im sure its not from the water pump, i think i need to locate the small core plugs,

please can someone help., the weathers not on my side aswell :unsure:

oh yeh, the heater is still not giving warm air, any ideas why??

Hi since banging back the big core plug has that one stopped leaking completely? if not it needs a new one. Is there not a small core plug on the actual cly head behaind the timing wheels ? or just below on the block Have you a new water pump on now if not maybe the impeller is not flowing the water round to the heater matrix radiator properly or there is air in the system but thats the least of your worries right now!

hi, i jus wanna know, how many core plugs are on the engine, i found 3 big core plugs on the front, im still tring to locate the small core plug that came off, but dont know where the small core plugs are on the engine

does any one know?

thanks

hi, after doin some research on google, i think iv found where the other leak is comimg from, its the other core plug that initially broke the timing belt, heres a pic from same engine 4afe: (ignore the modifications)

post-103228-0-10630100-1297095557_thumb.

Im not sure if your engine is the same as the one in the picture but my 97 1.8 my water pump is higher up near the head and not as integral and more accessible to get at. So it looks like there is indeed 1 or 2 core plugs on the head so do we assume you have fitted a new one and if so what is the problem now??

hi, yeh mines not the same engine aswell, but its similar, but good news iv found the core plug, thers 2 of them same as the pic, iv bought another core plug which only cost 40p. so hopefully tomorow it should be all sorted, :thumbsup:

thanks

hi, morning to everyone, its a sunny day todday and iv finally fixed my car :thumbsup:

thanks for the help everyone, no water leak now, but unfortunately my heaters still not giving warm air

any ideas?

thanks

hasky

Oh good! Drain the rad again and if you have added antifreeze which we all hope you have?? Fill the system slowly untill the leval reaches the bottom of the filler neck While doing this compress the top hose freqently to purge the air locks from the system.

Then also fill the expansion tank to the max leval > Then start the engine with the rad cap still removed and allow to idle until heat can be felt through the top hose > accelerate the engine briefly a few times then swicth off the engine and let it cool down for say an hour.

After that top the water leval up to the filler neck and place the top on > also top the expansion tank up > start the engine up once more and run up to 3000 rpm for half a minute then leave for a couple of miniutes and then remove the rad cap and top up if needs be. Give it a good hard run after to get things flowing all round

But before that check that your hot and cold control is working right and that it is working the flap that the cable going to it is activating

Hi, thanks for the advise peter, its worked a dream! :thumbsup: got all the air out from the radiator and took it for a good rallying round the park! still cold air but all of a sudden wen the car hit 50mph the heater started working!

All fine now, put anti freeze and a bottle of stop leak just incase,

thanks for the help guys, im very happy i joined this forum. You guys are ACE!

THANKS AGAIN! & GOD BLESS!

:toast:

:yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links