Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Using Satnav Whilst Car Is Moving

somsak

Hi, does anybody know if it is possible to configure the satnav so that destinations can be entered whilst the vehicle is moving?

At the risk of sounding like one of these HSE McJobsworths, but is it not for very obvious safety reasons that you are blocked from said practise in the first place.....? If ye swerve into my Rav, I will score you off my Christmas Card List for sure....

Big Kev :eek:

At the risk of sounding like one of these HSE McJobsworths, but is it not for very obvious safety reasons that you are blocked from said practise in the first place.....? If ye swerve into my Rav, I will score you off my Christmas Card List for sure....

Big Kev :eek:

Ah, that's what 'Red Leader' is for - she's always telling me where to go :eek:

At the risk of sounding like one of these HSE McJobsworths

I have you McJobsworth Cap and McClipboard on order. ;).

Hello Somsak, welcome to TOC.

It would be useful if you could update your profile:

<--- i.e. the bit shown here, to say more than just RAV4. We ask everybody to do this, then we can give more appropriate answers quicker, as we know which particular RAV you have.

Sat Nav models vary from RAV model to model. If I remember correctly, the later map update disks have upgraded software to allow you to do more on the move. The other way is to put a switch in the vehicle speed signal to the satnav. Disconnect the speed signal with the switch while making your satnav inputs. See this thread:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116314&st=0&p=1051180&hl=vehicle%20"speed%20signal"&fromsearch=1entry1051180

That's specific to 2006->2009 RAVs, but generally the 5 pin toyota connector and pinout is quite common across different Toyota satnav units. i.e. the speed signal is very often in the same place on the same connector.

If we knew which RAV you had I could maybe be more specific...........................

Cheers :thumbsup:

Hi shcm

Many thanks for your help. The exact model that I have is RAV4 XT5 5dr 2.0 VVT-1, which was first registered May 2007.

Regards

OK, well it's what we refer to as a "4.3" then. The picture shown in the link above (repeated here)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116314&st=0&p=1051180&hl=vehicle%20"speed%20signal"&fromsearch=1entry1051180

is the back of the same satnav in your XT5. So it all applies. If I remember correctly I think less things were "greyed" out on the later map updates, but some things were still not usable on the move.

When I had a XT5, I put a switch in the speed signal as described. The switch was mounted in a spare slot down by the seat heater switch. You do need to mess with cutting and connecting wires to the switch etc, so this not for everybody if you are uneasy about that.

When moving, just flick the switch while changing things on the satnav then flick it back. Vehicle position indicator on the map may not update as fast or in jerks with the speed signal disconnected.

And I thought hands were for doing dishes, and when not doing dishes, holding a steering wheel.

Is this not maybe akin to operating a mobile phone?? Whilst on the move is an offence? After those rules came in, I had to stop to eat my curry and chips :lol: :lol:

Is this not maybe akin to operating a mobile phone??

Seriously no. It's not handheld and it is not transmitting voice/data. It certainly doesn't operate in the frequency bands stated (it doesn't transmit in any), which is why it is legal for both me (except I wouldn't) and Local Hero to use fist mikes on radios without being nicked under this law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/2003/537/regulation/2/made

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?ActiveTextDocId=862536

All it does is make it clear cut for them to fine you if using a hand-held phone. They always could do you for not being in proper control or due care and attention, long before the mobile law was invented and still can.

Hands are for hand signals to other road users ;).

Many thanks shcm but looks a bit too difficult for me. Been offered a disc that would do the trick, which I am considering.

To all others: I am not so stupid as to operate the satnav unsafely. Believe it or not a passenger can operate the satnav and amazingly I could still have my hands on the steering wheel. If you read the title of the original post 'Using Satnav whilst car is moving', which is quite different to 'whilst I am driving'! Please, only bother posting to me if you have something helpful to say.

Many thanks shcm but looks a bit too difficult for me. Been offered a disc that would do the trick, which I am considering.

To all others: I am not so stupid as to operate the satnav unsafely. Believe it or not a passenger can operate the satnav and amazingly I could still have my hands on the steering wheel. If you read the title of the original post 'Using Satnav whilst car is moving', which is quite different to 'whilst I am driving'! Please, only bother posting to me if you have something helpful to say.

Your (very uncalled for tone of ) retort took way too long to think about.....only today I was behind a Rav driver on the M8, BLACK ICE WARNINGS ablaze on the overheads, tapping away on his sat nav whilst "tearing along the dotted line" between lanes.

If you are amongst the ones who don't use it / adjust it whilst driving, you are one of the very few, and should any remark I made have caused you offence, please accept my unqualified apology.

Big Kev.

Hi every one & happy newyear

Before this topic goes sidewoods.

let me just say toyota admitted it was wronge of them too disable certain functions on the satnav/radio

hense if you bye the later "toyota E11 upgrade dvd`s" not only does this give you the new maps you also get

a firmware update installed which enables all the previously dissabled functions.

If you bye one off eBay ect make sure you bye the western europe disc.

regards...ian

Your (very uncalled for tone of ) retort took way too long to think about.....only today I was behind a Rav driver on the M8, BLACK ICE WARNINGS ablaze on the overheads, tapping away on his sat nav whilst "tearing along the dotted line" between lanes.

If you are amongst the ones who don't use it / adjust it whilst driving, you are one of the very few, and should any remark I made have caused you offence, please accept my unqualified apology.

Big Kev.

If the OP expects every reply to stay on the subject methinks he/she is going to be mighty disappointed

Big Kev.

If the OP expects every reply to stay on the subject methinks he/she is going to be mighty disappointed

I had cottage pie for dinner... You?!?

Is it me or does the Watford Gap really mean something special?

(Now - where's my curried cornflakes?)

I had cottage pie for dinner... You?!?

I said TURN RIGHT.........NO..RIGHT - LEFT IS SAUSAGE AND MASH :wacko:

When I was a stoodent they hadn't invented satnavs. Fumbling with buttons usually meant I was in my Vauxhall Victor (Model F) in the company of a young lady and parked up late at night on Woodbury Common. Bench seat, column change and dashboard mounted handbrake. Those were the days. :wub:

Mike D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links