Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Icing Up On The Inside.

kev1n

The problem is that when its icy outside, I have to scrape the ice off the inside of the window screen.

Toyotas had it back 3 times so far and they’ve repaired a leak in the roof, but that’s still not solved the problem.

Anybody come across this before.

Have you checked to see if the carpets are wet? If the car has had a water leak (ie rain) then when the carpets get wet, it takes ages for it to dry. One of my RAVs has developed a leak at the windscreen and I now have a small fan heater running to help dry out the passenger footwell. The last time it happened I had to remove the carpet and replace it and the felt below too.

And you'll know to have the heater bringing in air from outside rather than recirculating the cabin air....humans have a horrible habit of breathing out moisture !!

Have you checked to see if the carpets are wet? If the car has had a water leak (ie rain) then when the carpets get wet, it takes ages for it to dry. One of my RAVs has developed a leak at the windscreen and I now have a small fan heater running to help dry out the passenger footwell. The last time it happened I had to remove the carpet and replace it and the felt below too.

And you'll know to have the heater bringing in air from outside rather than recirculating the cabin air....humans have a horrible habit of breathing out moisture !!

The problems been going on for 2 winters, so its had all summer to dry out properly. Ive tried bringing in outside air and recirculating. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Toyota's only suggestion is to run the air-con constantly, but that's made no difference.

Mine is the same, solid ice inside just the same as outside :(

Our floormats are soaking and that's just after one week of getting in and out of the car with wet shoes...

I'm taking out the mats and drying them against the radiators each weekend.

Even if the mats seem dry, they're probably still damp after all our wet and snowy weather and that releases moisture as the car warms up.

Our own car is garaged and never normally mists at all, but my daughter was over and I put a spare set into hers, cleaned and dried her old mats and put them in my wife's car.

I got really bad interior mist all week - even though I thought the mats had dried out before I put them in - and it must have come from the mats because the car never normally mists and that's all that changed.

So took them out for anohter few hours resting against the radiators again yesterday and all's fine with no interior mist today....

The other mistake I did once was was using one of those "air conditioning cleaners" inside my daughter's car.

Its an aerosol you set off inside the car and its meant to clean out the heater system, removing odours (someone had smoked in the car...).

That caused no end of condensation all over the interior which obviously soaked into everything - took a whole year for it to dry out enough to stop misting after that.

Oh and the other thing I did was fit a pollen filter.

Some models have them as standard, but many don't - especially many of the 2006-2008 models.

It only cost me a fiver from the local motor factors and my daughter says that helped the misting problem a bit too - as presumably to also presents a slight barrier to outside water vapour....

I've had icing up inside a car at -21C in Scotland.

I used to have icing every winter when living in Scotland before winters became warmer.

When the ambient temperatuure is below approx -5C and you are driving at 30 mph, the windscreen is going to absorb an awful ot of heat from the interior air. And mositure will condense..

If you have wet shoes/outer clothing.. it makes things worse..

The trouble is when you have moisture inside the car, the screen will freeze initially :(

Under normal circumstances, the air con will draw any unwanted moister away from the cabin

when outside temps are above 4 degrees. Of late temps have been rather lower :(

It happens on most cars, as condensation does occur inside, and as has been said when it gets very cold it will freeze. We have 2 Yaris's and both have had ice inside recently, not really much you can do, unless you garage it

You only have to see all the cars on the used car lots with their rear hatches all open on sunny days to see how common the issue is....

I also forgot to suggest when I posted above...

When you're driving along and the car's nice and warm, open the windows every now and then and let the existing moist air blow out from the car.

You'll find it steams up less if you let the moist air out of the car ratheer than just heating it up but leaving it stuck in the car ready to cool down again and steam up the next day too....

If you're lucky enough to be able to leave your car somewhere safe with the windows and hatch open on a bright day after its been left in the sun to warm up a bit, it also helps to let it have a good airing now and then....

I had a Yaris delivered on Friday and noticed this morning that it was very misted up on the inside, I just put it down to the fact that it had a full valet on Friday and must still be a bit damp. Should this get better as it dries out?

I was also amazed at how much ice was on the headlights, is this a common problem too?

I had a Yaris delivered on Friday and noticed this morning that it was very misted up on the inside, I just put it down to the fact that it had a full valet on Friday and must still be a bit damp. Should this get better as it dries out?

I was also amazed at how much ice was on the headlights, is this a common problem too?

The amount of condensation that I get is also a problem. I had to call out the RAC due to the remote locking not working. It resolved itself in the end, but I believe its due to the amount of moisture inside the car (streaming down the windows)

My Yaris also tends to have quite a lot of condensation on the windows too. Curiously it's worse if I've used the aircon (It goes when the aircon is on, but as soon as I switch it off it comes back even worse than if I'd let the heater get rid of it!! :lol: )

Annoyingly, the coffee trick isn't working as well as it used to in this car (i.e. leaving a bowl of coffee/rice in the car to let it soak up the moisture to reduce condensation.)

However, my trusty demisting cloth still works pretty well, and also stops the interior freezing being such a big problem.

Have the same problem with mine, i also noticed the spare wheel well was getting damp too so i stripped all the lining and carpet out the back to look for any leaks. I poured a bucket of water over the back lights because there was signs of water ingress somewhere near them, what i found was the seam between the back panel (under the lights) and the rear quarter panels on both sides wasnt seam sealed from new at the factory so water could leak thru the seam. At some point the car had been back to the dealer by the look of things when new because fresh seam sealer had been applied all around the seams in the wheel well/back panel but not higher up. I pumped some silicone into the seams from the inside until it emerged on the outside then carefully cleaned it up, the boot stays dry now but the damn car still steams up lol. :crybaby:

All cars are prone to steaming up with this weather not only a Yaris issue. If i get in both my cars with wet clothes, i have to use the air-con all the time.

Our Honda is steaming up a lot lately, i had to go and check the carpets, boot ect but in the end i blamed the floor mats as they were damp from keep getting in/out the car, kids getting in/out ect.. :rolleyes:

Summer can't come quick enough eh? :lol:

Don't recirc the Air, only draw in fresh air.

• 2 years later...

Just came across this old post that I started 'a while' ago. The car went in to the Toyota dealer in Bristol more times than I care to remember. Still got the problem. All though slightly allievated by running all winter with the air con on..

By the way as soon as the warranty ran out , so did any help from from the dealership.

Last time I buy a Toyota. !!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links