Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Steering Sensation

mrcarina

Evening all!

Basically I have a 1.6 1996 Carina E, currently on 130k miles, which has recently developed what can only be described as a "rumble" on the steering. I have observed this feeling on a 20 mile journey stretching across different road surfaces. When the car is moving along it is almost like the car is driving over pebbles, and the steering nudges from side to side a little. If anyone could assist me in my preliminary diagnosis it'd be appreciated. The car will be going to a trusted mechanic in due course none the less.

Thanks in advance :)

Sounds like a bearing or ball joint. If you jack up the front of the car then grab the wheel and gently rock it from side to side, if you feel any play then it could be the bearing. Look behind the the wheel at the ball joints too, to see if theres any play in them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a bearing or ball joint. If you jack up the front of the car then grab the wheel and gently rock it from side to side, if you feel any play then it could be the bearing. Look behind the the wheel at the ball joints too, to see if theres any play in them.

Many thanks for your help, had the car up on the ramp and immediately diagnosed the problem, both front tyres had excessive inner-should wear. Two new tyres later and it drives like a dream!

That suggests there is an underlying problem if there is inner wear on the tyres. You should still check track rod ends, suspension tops for play etc, If you don't then you might end up having to put more tyres on in 6 months time.

• 4 weeks later...

Get the wheels set up at a garage. It doesn't cost that much, but it do wonderful things with the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links