Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With Dmf Problem In North East

Mike5100

First - do you think it is the dmf? Engine starts no problem spins up OK, no warning lights, this despite the fact that the engine oil has probably been very low for some time. Can put it in gear with clutch down and still no problems, but as soon as you let the clutch out there's the most awful noises - banging and crashing and tinkling. Daughter says she first noticed a bit of roughness and noise 2 or 3days ago and it's suddenly got very bad. Car is a 53 RAV4 2l diesel which has now done 66k miles.

I need to know first if it could be anything else, and if not if anyone has had it fixed for a reasonable price in the north east?

Many thanks

Mike

It sounds like the DMF. Did you read the pinned section?

Yes I've been through that - very useful. I'm just about to try and get quotes from all the local dealers. Mind you I know what they are going to say. "Bring it in and we'll take a look at it first" :-)

I have a good guy who looks after my Lexus (ex Lexus mechanic) and he's asking around too, but I'm nervous that if he hasn't worked on a Rav4 it might take him a great deal longer than it would a Toyota dealership. Also I'm going to search this forum again, as I'm sure I spotted someone recommending that we fit a combined DFM/clutch or something? Any further advice gratefully accepted especially about diagnosing - which we are going to try and do tonight with my Lexus guy.

Thanks

Mike

There isn't much else that would cause that although it would be foolish not to at least look.

It took me and a mate about 9 hours to do that job.

I've just been speaking to Valeo's technical department and they say that they do not as yet produce any rigid flywheel/clutch kit for any Rav 4. If the rigid is a good idea can anyone suggest who it is who does it?

Thanks

Mike

I've found this .... it seems very cheap. Anchorman- Have you come across them before, and can I be sure that this would go on the 53 Rav4

My link

Really appreciate the help guys. Toyota on Teesside say that if we buy the parts they will just charge labour, and give us a 12 month warranty on the labour.

Thanks

Mike

No not come across that one. As you know I'm an advocate of Japanese engineering so the one I sourced came from my local supplier who managed to find one from Japan. If you have ever seen a jap clutch they often come with rubber cones in the drive plate which provide very good damping and smooth take up. The DMF kit I bought had a combination of springs and rubber cones - it looked like a lot of thought had gone into it and my mate tows a caravan so I wanted something that looked durable. It cost £375 so with the oil and a little bottle of loctite for the bolts (which were also in the kit) I suppose it was around £400. Trust me you don't want to be mauling that lot about very often so hopefully thats the last I will be seeing of that one.

As most DMF jobs come out near to 2k I think that doing it yourself is a viable option but enlist the help of a friend to push the box back in - it's heavy!

Mike i put the kit in on your link , it fits and works but there is more vibration through the pedal than before . Also it a name i hadn't heard of and searches suggested it was of poor quality. I would go the anchorman route and get a good quality dmf and clutch kit.

Err......it was in a red box. I honestly can't remember :unsure:

Where are you?

Near Hartlepool. We keep thinking we've got it sorted (what to do) then find that the parts the garage are going to fit are not what they said they would. At the moment the garage is saying the parts are ADL (I think that's Blueprint-ADL), but his all in price is £824 fitted, and the best I can buy those parts retail is £860, so you've got to wonder whether they can really be adl parts?

Mike

I seem to remember reading somewhere in the reams of stuff on this subject that someone managed to get a refund under the sale of goods act. The implication was that it was from Toyota even though the guy had bought the car second hand from an independent dealer. Is this likely? And would we have to NOT do anything to the car before we 'sue' the independent dealer, even though we don't hold him responsible.

Ughh I hate all this

Mike

I seem to remember reading somewhere in the reams of stuff on this subject that someone managed to get a refund under the sale of goods act. The implication was that it was from Toyota even though the guy had bought the car second hand from an independent dealer. Is this likely? And would we have to NOT do anything to the car before we 'sue' the independent dealer, even though we don't hold him responsible.

Ughh I hate all this

Mike

Mike, have a read through this thread: LINK

The last post explains the situation fairly well - though probably not what you want to hear :(