Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.6 (2006) Dropping To 0 Rpm When Idle

saddle point

My corolla has started to drop down to 0 rpm but then revs back to to about 500 rpm when idle, like waiting in neutral at traffic lights. The car is fully warmed up when it touches 0rpm, and when it does the engine sounds like it's about to cut out.

I've had my car for a 2 years now and this has been happening for a few days now.... any ideas what this might be?

Dirty or damaged AFM?

Bad quality fuel? or problem with fuel pump?

Battery ok?

I doubt this is the total fix but check anyway - on our old e11 1.4vvti corolla when the oil level was low in the car this would result in a very rough idle, the needle would not rest at a fixed 7 or 800 rpm like a normal smooth idle and would jump about. as soon as oil was topped up it would return to normal no problems.

Throttle body clogged up with carbon?

HI Clagnuts

Just out of curiosity...if the throttlebody was clogged up...how would one fix it??? Im thinking spraying a can of Wynns Carburettor cleaner may be???

Sammy

Throttle body clogged up with carbon?

HI Clagnuts

Just out of curiosity...if the throttlebody was clogged up...how would one fix it??? Im thinking spraying a can of Wynns Carburettor cleaner may be???

Sammy

That's exactly what the break down guy did to my old Skoda when it had these symptoms. It was temporary fix, I did get it stripped down and cleaned more thoroughly by a garage a few weeks later.

I have no idea if the Corolla has the same sort of throttle body. It was just a suggestion of what it could be.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links