Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Fix A Peeling Tsport Gear Knob

minidoughty

I hated the peeling chrome finish on my Tsport gear knob, it looked horrible, and sharp corners were digging into my hand. So here's how i changed it:

1. Unscrew (anti-clockwise) the gear knob, from the gearstick.

2. Look inside and unscrew (philips/cross head) the screw holding the plastic/chrome part to the leather knob.

3. Slide down and over the clip at the bottom part of the knob (the top is slightly stuck down)

4. Carefully peel off the chrome finish. Firsly give it to someone who like picking scabs, to get the worst off, then use a small blade to peel the rest (think of it like peeling a potato)

5. Then choose the colour to paint the knob, Pre-Facelift I suggest Silver and Facelift I suggest Black for best results (to keep fairly standard).

Here's mine:

WP_000064.jpg

6. Give it a few coats of lacquer to finish it off.

7. Re-assemble and fit:

WP_000070.jpg

WP_000071.jpg

Very nice result! Excellent!

You could also get a small and pointy paint-brush to paint red the "R" of the reverse gear!

I did contemplate doing the whole gear pattern in red, before lacquering.

Nice job.

But rather than peel it you could have rubbed it down with wet and dry this brings it up great for the spraying, that was how I did mine, also to keep the red r between coats clean it out with a fine blade. :thumbsup:

i did use wet and dry after the 1st coat of black, but only because the f***ing paint froze before it dried, due to subzero conditions in the garage... after that it was brought indoors to dry.

i did use wet and dry after the 1st coat of black, but only because the f***ing paint froze before it dried, due to subzero conditions in the garage... after that it was brought indoors to dry.

:lol:

• 6 months later...

Thanks minidoughty. Can you tell me what paint and laquer you used?

Whatever I found in the garage, halfauds black matte rattle can and a generic laquer.

when mine goes iam just thinking of getting it dipped in chrome again to keep it oem

I had already thought of this but if like mine it takes the copper underneath off aswell then there is nothing for it to stick on I don't think it will stick onto the plastic underneath that.

It would look good though it would go with my custom crome plated door inserts.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I bought a worn knob from T-Spirit E12, and I'm going to replace my original T2 - rubber knob, which is awful. The leather one is in pretty rough condition, as you may see - below. But I just sent it for coating. When I get it back, I'll post the result.

As I said - before:

025800498-big.jpg

025800497-big.jpg

The current T2 - rubber one:

025801853-big.jpg

I just can't wait to put in the car! It's so great, I believe - better then new!! See for yourself:

025849395.jpg025849397.jpg

025849398.jpg025849396.jpg

I don't have any idea, how they managed to get such e result, but anyway - I have it ready to install. And it cost me - only 5 pounds! B)

Nice :toast:

whats the company called.

Details please.

Nice :toast:

whats the company called.

Details please.

It's called Ewert Lack, and it's located in Bulgaria, so it would be a little harder to reach them, but nothing is impossible, right!

http://www.ideabg.com/clients/ewert/de-index.php

I'm sorry, but I can't find if they have website in English.

• 2 years later...

Hello

I also have a peeled gear knob. I think it's a little bit too long, so I am thinking of changing it with a shorter one. In that regards, is that one compatible with E12 levers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COROLLA-GT-LEVIN-TRUENO-AE86-TRD-BLACK-BALL-GEAR-KNOB-33504-SP006-JAPAN-DIRECT-/190852319158?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6faf47b6

Also, if I opt for a weighted one, could you recommend me something?!

If I have no options, I'll go for the restoration of the existing one approach...

Best regards,

Kostadin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links