Do Not Sell My Personal Information

0W-20 For Better Fuel Economy

Mord

Has anyone tried 0W-20 grade oil in their Aygos? I'm quite tempted to try it and see whether my wife's Aygo can be even more economical. At the moment we are using Castrol Magnatec 5W-30. I was thinking about getting Castrol Edge 5W-30 but then 0W-20 or 5W-20 may be even better :unsure:

Our 58 reg Aygo has 19k miles on the clock atm.

I'm always wary of using anything other than the manufacturers recommended... then there's no argument on any warranty claims!

:thumbsup:

I don't very much care about warranty to be honest. I service my wife's car. She had only a service at Toyota after 1st year so they fixed bits and bobs which we found in the first year. Then there is was no point really as we knew that everything else was fine. They wanted 75 quid for replacing 1 front tyre.. I told them to f00k off. I replaced 2 front tyres for less than that. And parts for Aygo are cheap so you're not risking much by servicing it by yourself.

I was more asking about fuel economy benefits of using 5W-20 and 0W-20 based on personal experiences.

With a 5 year warranty and 3 years free servicing, I'll stick to 5w-30 and let the local Mr T get his hands dirty!

Frankly for the odd 1 or 2 extra mpg I don't think it's worth it, we get 48-52 mpg on a 20 mile country lane run to work and bumbling about locally for shopping - if we go on a run then it's up to 58-60mpg - almost as good as my Prius, so the different oil is not something that I'd even consider.

However, it's your choice obviously :thumbsup:

Toyota service is not free. I pay. They can fix things under warranty yes. But consumables cost an arm and a leg from them so they know how to milk people.

They didn't offer us free servicing for 58 reg Aygo in 2008 (except warranty repairs for 3 years which is nothing special, we had everything fixed after 1st year). I don't know how it is now with the new cars though.

0-30 fully synthetic is recommended for-45c to +45c, 0-20 is only recommended upto 20c.

I understood that they started, as original spec., using 0-30 fully synthetic a couple of years ago to marginally increase the mpg and lower emissions. In a real world I doubt if you would notice any change.Using less aircon would be more noticeable.

Has anyone tried 0W-20 grade oil in their Aygos? I'm quite tempted to try it and see whether my wife's Aygo can be even more economical. At the moment we are using Castrol Magnatec 5W-30. I was thinking about getting Castrol Edge 5W-30 but then 0W-20 or 5W-20 may be even better :unsure:

Our 58 reg Aygo has 19k miles on the clock atm.

i dont have an argo but a aurie i.6 vvti.the handbook approves both 0w-20 and 5w-30 and also 10w-40 for high speed work,rough usage.

5w-30 is what i use as many others do.but quicker oil ciculation and lots of short runs then without constant higher speeds such as motorway use i cant see any harm in using the 0w-2o more so in the very low temps we are experiancing latly and in future winters.does the argo hand book mention using 0w-20.

i beleave it cost more than the other grades.

I believe the Aygop comes factory fill with 0W-20 (or the facelift one does). I don't know that it makes that much difference TBH, but I use fully synthetic 5W-30 grade (VAG 505.00/BMW LL04 approved oil) and am very happy with that. Anything too light and I'm not sure it offers any real advantages and does not appear to be readily available in the UK.

Although as part of the routine servicing, many Dealers will only use semi-syth. 10W-40 oil.

• 3 weeks later...

In the 2011 owners handbook Toyota state that 0W-20 is the preferred oil for all Aygo VVTi engined models. It further warns that using anything other than this (except for emergency topping up purposes) may invalidate the warranty unless the alternative used is one of the suite of oils recommended for harsh climatic conditions (very hot or very cold), and your vehicle is regularly used in such conditions.

0W-20 is the way to go, and will also give slightly better fuel economy.

The oil's just getting thinner and thinner!

We'll be using 0W0 in a few years at this rate! :lol:

The oil's just getting thinner and thinner!

We'll be using 0W0 in a few years at this rate! :lol:

lol - we won't need oil, we'll all be driving electric cars and limited to destinations within 60 miles of home....

:crybaby:

I need oil sump plug washer and I'm ready. Anybody knows how much they are at the stealers?

0W20.jpg

dont use toyota carboard drain plug washer,get a proper copper washer that will fit.can be used several times.

saw advert for special offer 10 genuine washers for £12 what a rip off.you can get 10 copper ones for a few quid.

the genuine toyota filter i brought hand a sump washer in the box.

All done yesterday. 3 litres of Motul 0W-20 and Toyota oil filter.. I also fitted new Toyota panel air filter. I bought a copper washers for 2 quid.

Everything took me roughly 45 minutes. Very easy access to Aygos oil drain plug and filter due to its short front :D As always with new oil the car is running smoother now.

• 10 years later...

I know I'm bit late to this thread but I recently tried 0w20 in my 2012 aygo. It was probably a bad idea at 78k miles but stupidly I didn't keep on top of my oil checks and by 83k miles my oil level had dropped below the dipstick. I bought a 1L bottle from my work and it's only just above the minimum marker, so I've probably burnt about 1.5 liters of oil over 5k miles. Usually with 0w30 it's down by around 500mls and still above the minimum marker at my 5k mile service (oil change) interval. I'm just hoping my engine is ok as I only noticed because my oil light briefly flashed on pulling away at a roundabout. It's put me off ever using 0w20 ever again.

1 hour ago, Mikes1992u said:

I know I'm bit late to this thread but I recently tried 0w20 in my 2012 aygo. It was probably a bad idea at 78k miles but stupidly I didn't keep on top of my oil checks and by 83k miles my oil level had dropped below the dipstick. I bought a 1L bottle from my work and it's only just above the minimum marker, so I've probably burnt about 1.5 liters of oil over 5k miles. Usually with 0w30 it's down by around 500mls and still above the minimum marker at my 5k mile service (oil change) interval. I'm just hoping my engine is ok as I only noticed because my oil light briefly flashed on pulling away at a roundabout. It's put me off ever using 0w20 ever again.

Thing is, you have already used it and if it has been to the detriment of the engine you cannot go back in time.

The engine still seems to be running fine ATM. I topped up with a 5w30 from Asda yesterday (under the premise that mixing 0w20 and 5w30 is better than driving home with no oil, 0w20 is hard to get a hold without going to a garage) and I'm going to service it today and fill up with the 0w30 I usually use. I was considering using the last 3L of my 0w20 and doing a 2-3k service but I don't really want to have to worry about oil consumption plus I'd probably be doing the next service in less than 2 months as I'm a high mileage driver plus my MOT is due and not sure if the oil consumption will effect the emissions test.

I know a few years ago though I found a company selling full Aygo engines for ~£300, the company converts Aygo's into electric cars. I can imagine it's cheaper to replace a full engine then it is to pay for a rebuild on an Aygo (assuming the engine you buy isn't already knackered xD)

Oil viscosity is the main factor in fuel economy.
Castrol edge 0w20 has a viscosity of 8.1 at 100c (fully warm) and 44 at 40c (part warm)
Castrol Magnatec 5w20 has a viscosity of 8.2 at 100c and 44 when (part warm) 

They will be virtually identical in terms of fuel economy, cold or hot.

So what is the difference between these 0w20 and a 5w20 oils ?, in this case the 0w20 could well be the same base oils as the 5w20, but with additional additives so that at lower temperatures it does not thicken too much and form ice crystals at temperatures way below zero at -30 and -35C temperatures.

Note with other brands there differences in viscosities between a 0w and a 5w could be greater and noticable, this is the case with some Shell 0w30 vs 5w30 oils.

Generally it's not recommended to go from thicker to thinner oil if the engine has already done some mileage on thicker.

59 minutes ago, Tomv said:

Generally it's not recommended to go from thicker to thinner oil if the engine has already done some mileage on thicker.

Why?

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Why?

I know that too, but most likely to be a myth although make some sense. If for some reason you had been using  5w30 or other type of oil instead of 0w20 since the early days of the car damage may had been done and cylinders worn out, piston rings stuck and carbon built up on some parts of the top end due to a different properties of the oil, then after you switch back to its manufacturer recommended grade which turns to be thinner low viscosity oil with greater cleaning agents and better fluidity may cause noises and higher oil consumption., for that reason alone simply stick with what is recommended in the book and don’t change oil viscosity on your own. I wonder what oil Prius owners use in Dubai?, perhaps 0w20 even it’s 40C° for long periods of time during the year . 

Remember Tony, it’s 0w-16 now for (at least) Prius. As :r T has been putting in 0w-20 for the first 4 year 21 months of my motors life I hope everything is going to be ok now Mr T put 0w-16 in.

• Like 1