Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet Raisers?

b1gpkr001

Hi all

Just wondered if any one has fitted bonnet raisers to a t sport?

I know it's to keep the engine bay cooler but does it have any effect on the t sport in any way possitive or negative?

Thanks

I was thinking of trying some, but then looked to see what would be affected.

the main issue would be the bonnet alarm sensor not making contact, then would the bonnet catch still close...etc.

I know how to sort the bonnet alarm switch

I'm pretty sure it will still close

It's just the stress that will be put on the bonnet that I'm thinking about when driving

If my memory serves me correctly, msprince has doen this, he would be the best person to talk about this with.

Hello I have indeed done it, although I just raised mine with nuts instead of raisers.

You will have a problem with the bonnet alarm switch, to get around that I first tried to enlongate the mounting hole but with no luck instead I have used rubber O-rings the raise the switch.

I do notice the bonnet does flex a small amount but I dont think its enough to worry about.

I shall get some pics taken when I get hone to show you what I mean. Just let me know if you need any more info.

Ok nice one

Are they m8 bolts that hold the bonnet on?

How high have you jacked up the back of the bonnet?

When I'm back at work I was going to machine some raisers but might just use washers

I wouldnt bother with them! the car was designed to cool the engine sufficiently enough.. i took them off my car they look stupid all it is is a load of washers and bigger bolts. wouldnt bother if i was u

Yeah m8 bolts, i used two m12 nuts (if i remember right). i think it has raised it by 10-20mm.

Yes jpom100 you are right but you have to think that manufactures have to design a vehicle for the best of both worlds e.g from standard you dont get the pull potential out of the engine because manufactures have to balance it between power and economy, this is the same with everything you just dont get the full potential out of a car out the factory. The car can cool the engine sufficiently but there is still alot of heat under the bonnet it isnt a problem with the standard airbox but when you install a induction kit it becomes a problem.

It is amazing how much hot air comes out of the gap between the bonnet and scuttle panel

I personally like the look of a raised bonnet and believe it does help lower engine bay temperatures.

Its a bit dark to take half decent pics will do it tomoz in the light.

Opps sorry cleaning the interior of the car took priority in the half hour it hasent rained roday, promise ill take them tomoz :-)

• 2 weeks later...

i made mine for the fez its really easy just get some 3/4 inch ally pipe, 4 penny/repair washers and some longer m8 bolts, cut the pipe the length you want and fit took about 15 mins. spay them up and if you need to just raise the switch up a little

i just realised all i need is washers and longer bolts. i like the alu pipe idea though. decided against it now not sure if it would look good at the front end

I have used nuts to space them, i have used the orginal bolts as imo any longer and you will struggle to sort the bonnet alarm switch out.

Pics as promised.

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

This is how a spaced my bonnet switch, with rubber o-rings.

I had to adjust the rubber stops at the front of the bonnet to as it was rubbing my headlamp eyebrows and i removed the rubber strip that runs along the scuttle panel that seals against the bonnet.

Excuse the dirty car its getting cleaned tomoz :rolleyes:

front end? i only put them at the back in-between the bonnet and mounts

yeah the front end where the front of the bonnet meets the grill. obviously its gonna make a wider angle. you get what im saying? on the facelift version it meets flush so i dont want some doglegged join lol

thanks for the pics ms prince mucho apreciated

Btw, going a bit off-topic here but where did you get your strut brace from, how much for and does it make much difference?

I brought it off a guy second hand, but I can mind someone else posted up a link for something similar, imo when coupled with low pro tyres an being lowered the front feels still and it turns in well to the corners.