Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do I Tell If My 4.2 Has A Limited Slip Diff

pgp001

I am just about to take delivery of a mint condition, one lady owner from new, RAV4 4.2

It is a January 2004 Petrol 2.0 XT3, so according to my research will NOT have traction control or VSC.

My question is will it have a LSD, and how can I tell by looking at it.

Thanks

Phil

Why would you want one on a diesel?

He has a PROPER RAV4. Bothy - Nice 2.0 VVT-i Petrol :thumbsup: (not that matters to the question asked ;) )

I don't think it has an LSD, but I am very much NOT an expert, so wait for someone else who may have a more educated answer :)

From what I have already found out from this forum, it was the earlier 4.2 models with the square fog lamps that had a LSD fitted as standard.

Mine is the 2004 facelift model 4.2 XT3 PETROL with round fog lamps, and I believe the LSD was optional at time of ordering.

I just need to know if a quick look underneath will tell me if it has one or not, or wil I have to jack up one rear wheel and see if I can turn it.

This RAV is a real nice one, it has had one lady owner from new, and has Toyota stamps every 10,000 miles in the book, it has done 76,000 miles and the is not a mark on it inside or out. It also has full leather interior which must have been ordered as an option.

Am I correct in thinking I should be able to realistically get 28 to 32 mpg with this RAV, it will spend 90% of its life driving 6 miles to work each day and back along a dual carriagway at about 50 to 60 mph.

But when the dual carriagway gets closed as it often does in snowy conditions, I have an alternative route home across the moors on a single track road with a few 1 in 5 hills.

That's when the 4x4 capability will get used.

Thanks

Phil

Am I correct in thinking I should be able to realistically get 28 to 32 mpg with this RAV, it will spend 90% of its life driving 6 miles to work each day and back along a dual carriagway at about 50 to 60 mph.

But when the dual carriagway gets closed as it often does in snowy conditions, I have an alternative route home across the moors on a single track road with a few 1 in 5 hills.

That's when the 4x4 capability will get used.

Thanks

Phil

Phil - that apart from the interior posh bits is EXACTLY the model I had till very recently and your planned usage is very similar to mine too - A30 dual carriageway to work and back and deep Dartmoor lanes in the working day. Dual Carriageway at a leisurely

mph too. My fuel consumption was just as you predict - usually 30 to 32mpg.

I can't help regarding the LSD because it never slipped! Wonderfully sure footed car. The only real fault in the spec for me was that it was a little low geared so the fuel consumption suffered badly if you hoofed it on the motorways of a French autoroute.

Those armchair-like front seats were wonderful for my bad back.

Enjoy the car - best RAV built so far (he ducks rapidly :thumbsup: )

Mike D

I suspect if it is the later facelifted 4.2 and it has VSC, then it doesn't have a LSD.

It's been discussed before (if you haven't found these threads already):

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90276&st=15

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105082&view=findpost&p=957544

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the info.

Mine is an XT3 so does not have VSC or Traction control.

I found some information on the Parkers website which says those features were fitted on the XT4 and above models.

So unless I have an LSD it is actually possible to have one front and one rear wheel spinning on ice, and lose forward motion due to the diffs sharing the torque equally between front and rear axles.

I don't know how likely that would ever be in reality, but there is a You-Tube video of a Freelander in that predicament stuck at a level road junction with just a small patch of ice, he had to be towed off it !!

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the info.

I found some information on the Parkers website which says those features were fitted on the XT4 and above models.

So unless I have an LSD it is actually possible to have one front and one rear wheel spinning on ice, and lose forward motion due to the diffs sharing the torque equally between front and rear axles.

I don't know how likely that would ever be in reality, but there is a You-Tube video of a Freelander in that predicament stuck at a level road junction with just a small patch of ice, he had to be towed off it !!

I had the RAV4.2 XT3 and in last years Snow up up I never had a single problem and never noticed any lack of an LSD or VSC.

Didn't have to try it but I would have thought that if you where in the kind of situation you describe above, using the handbrake and/or foot brake to give the wheels a bit of extra resistance would help?

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the info.

post-61378-0-52581900-1294877265_thumb.j

Hi Phil,

now don't you go worrying about your newly purchased RAV4.2 XT3! We too have not long purchased a RAV4.2 XT3 2.0 petrol, 53 plate. We had a RAV4.1 before which was brill in the snow, never had to use the diff-lock device. Well we was without a car for nearly 3 months, we bought our XT3 just in time for all that snow at the start of December. I wasn't sure how our XT3 would compare to the 4.1 we had, as there is no 'diff-lock' back-up on the 4.2 XT3s. One evening we had our 1st heavy snow fall. I was so excited, I just had to take our XT3 on a 'snow test drive'. And wow, it was fab! The RAV was so sure footed and did not loose grip once. At one stage on the route , there was a minor road with a long up-hill gradient. I waited at the bottom as there was a newish Mondeo type thing strugling to get up. The driver tried loads of times but it kept getting stuck half way up, in the same spot. I must say it was very amusing to watch! He eventualy gave up and reversed all the way back down. He got out and had a word with me, "I've been trying for the past half hour to get up there, it's like ice on that bit where I kept getting stuck on, you might be ok in this!" I replied "I'll give it a shot!" So i did. No problem, I even stopped the RAV on that troublesome bit, this was a good test for stability and grip. I then slowly started off again to complete the hill. Awesome, it never slipped once. I was out driving for an hour, with a big grin all the way! Our XT3 has the standard Bridgstone Dueler D687's fitted. Get your RAV and enjoy it Phil. There are some rubbish clips on Youtube involving RAV4.2s getting stuck in snow, due to the 50/50 split drive, but they are all messing about off-road. Peaple watching these have the opinion that RAV4's are crap. On the road in the snow and ice, they are fab! Here's a tip though, keep a bag of grit and a shovel in the back when the snow comes, for back-up. The pic is of our XT3, took that night at around midnight!

Cheers, from Ady.

Hi Ady

Your comments about snow performance above are very re-assuring. Your car looks the biz in black but I bet its a bugger to keep clean.

Mine is the Biege and silver colour, or it will be when I collect it on Saturday. (I think its called Savannah metallic)

What sort of daily distances and terrain do you drive, and what mpg do you average with yours by the way.

Regards

Phil

I am just about to take delivery of a mint condition, one lady owner from new, RAV4 4.2

It is a January 2004 Petrol 2.0 XT3, so according to my research will NOT have traction control or VSC.

My question is will it have a LSD, and how can I tell by looking at it.

Thanks

Phil

I think if you get the VIN number and go to a large Toyota dealer they should be able to look up the detailed specification - my previous 4.2 2.0L petrol certainly did have a LSD I think it was a VTX or VXT model (it was the top of the range one at the time)

Guy

Hi Ady

Your comments about snow performance above are very re-assuring. Your car looks the biz in black but I bet its a bugger to keep clean.

Mine is the Biege and silver colour, or it will be when I collect it on Saturday. (I think its called Savannah metallic)

What sort of daily distances and terrain do you drive, and what mpg do you average with yours by the way.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for the comment on my pic. Black is my fav colour for RAV4's, it took us ages to find what we where looking for. I don't know why but all the colours on the 4.2 facelift model have the two tone silver bumpers and flared wheel archers apart from black. I like the two tone look better! Like your beige RAV, the silver goes well with it. But yeh, when it's been washed it looks fab. It is a bugger and does take a long time, every weekend!

I don't drive it in the week at all :( , my partner uses it for her job, locally driven. She's the one who got me in to RAV ownership in the 1st place!

I've not had chance yet to check average mpg properly, only pottered about so far.

You're collecting yours this sat. Sounds like you've got a really good one there, hope it all goes ok.

Cheers from Ady

• 1 month later...

My local main dealer could not help when asked this question about the LSD.

I have since found this sales brochure which says it has one fitted as standard, I am still not 100% convinced :help:

http://www.pentagon-toyota.co.uk/NEW_toyota_brochure/toyota_RAV4.pdf

Phil

Get underneath and look at the diff, if it has LSD there will be a sticker on it telling you so :rolleyes:

Even with a chassis number, if you look it up, it will only say with or without LSD options

Kingo :thumbsup:

I thought they all came with the torque sensing diffs? I've never come across one that states its got a "special" LSD. The brochure doesnt seem to list as an option either. You sure they don't all come with the same type of diffs? VSC is an optional item though.

sorry - dunno how I thought you were talking diesel.

With the 4.1 on snow etc, and good tyres (ie having tread) then theres not much that challenges it. The 4.2 is a little heavier and will be more sure-footed. During the snow, I found little difference between the diff lock and without on the 4.1.

On the bit about the front and back wheel skidding at the same time.... not so likely unless your on very soft muddy ground. And again the tyres make more difference.

Even without diff lock and the rear wheels off the ground when I was pulling some trees down this week, the car still moved forward enough to drag the trees down!!

I found this on the Toyota pay per view website, looks like it was an option and not a standard fitment as the sales brochure would have you believe.

I will crawl underneath at some point and have a look at mine, but I think its unlikely to be an LSD.

4WD System.pdf

I wonder what a "herical" gear looks like. It must need it for torque "seusing" bit :rolleyes:

Phil