Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Wiper Noise On Flip Over

Roystond

I have a Toyota Avensis 1.8 registered 21.1.99 petrol automatic and I have been absolutely delighted with it for about 7 years now as it is smooth and quiet in every way except as below..

BUT the windscreen wipers have always been noisey on flip over i.e. when they have reached the top of thier stroke and are about to return to the park position. It may be when the blade flips over but it is too fast to see.

I have tried various makes of blade over the years and have had the arms bent slightly back to lessen the pressure of the blade on the screen (a bit dangerous I know) but all to no avail. It is not anything to do with the state of the screen itself. Renewing the blases sometimes makes it quieter but only for a matter of a month at most.

Any ideas?

Incidentally the car has done 94,000 miles and I discovered recently that the back tyres (Michelin) are the original that came with the car (DoT code on tyre) so they have done 94,000 miles.(I know front wheel drive helps).

It may be worth trying to twist the wiper arms rather than than bend them either in or out.

Using a [pice of cloth and a pair of pliers try twisting either direction to see if helps.

The date of manufacture on the tyre doesn't mean that's when they were fitted - could be many years after. New tyres have a recommended shelf life of 5 - 6 years but I've seen some crafty tyres fitters fit them well over this time period.:)

Mine are the same. Tried all makes of wipers and Trico NeoForm are the best i have tried

You don't state whether the noise is a number of juddering noises (as the blade tries to flip to the other edge on the next stroke) or a single thud/bump noise as the blade switches direction. If juddering then twisting the blade away from the direction it is travelling when juddering should help. If it is a single bump then it is likely that the blades are wearing at the joint with the wiper arm or that the wiper arm itself is out of shape allowing the blade to move at the joint with the arm, causing the noise. If the blades are worn then replacing with a good quality blades such as Bosche should help. If the arms are out of shape you may be able to tighten them up a bit or pack out the joint with something. Packing it out is not a permanant solution and will require repacking in future.

• 8 months later...

You don't state whether the noise is a number of juddering noises (as the blade tries to flip to the other edge on the next stroke) or a single thud/bump noise as the blade switches direction. If juddering then twisting the blade away from the direction it is travelling when juddering should help. If it is a single bump then it is likely that the blades are wearing at the joint with the wiper arm or that the wiper arm itself is out of shape allowing the blade to move at the joint with the arm, causing the noise. If the blades are worn then replacing with a good quality blades such as Bosche should help. If the arms are out of shape you may be able to tighten them up a bit or pack out the joint with something. Packing it out is not a permanant solution and will require repacking in future.

Thanks to all who replied. Having just been on a short holiday to a wet Wales I suffered a great deal with this problem and in the end I was turning the wipers on and off manually. I have tried a few different blades since my last posting including ones which had a mix of soft and hard rubber but no change. The blades for this holiday were new.

It is a single thump at the point of flip over that I hear. It is not the sound of the blades going across the screen which are generally silent (although with the occasional judder or screech but this is not a problem).

I cannot detect any wear at the junction of the wiper arm and the blade so what I thought of doing is replacing the spring in the wiper arm with one with less tension. I would have to have this made of course. My reasoning on this is that at present the spring is pretty fierce and if I reduce that pressure and simulate the flipover it is much quieter. I appreciate that the danger is that the blades will not hold onto the windscreen properly if the spring is reduced in tension.

Any thoughts please ?

Roy, you may have wear and excessive play in the wiper arm linkages. There are bushings connecting the linkages together and they can wear out. You would need to remove the wiper arms and then the cowl cover to see the linkages below. Also grasp the base of the wiper arm and move it about to see if there is a lot of play in the pivot itself. I had to replace both pivots on my Civic because they had worn until the inside was eccentric and quite noisy.

Hi,

I had EXACTLY the same thing that you describe. I could not find any fault or bends in the wiper arms and came to the conclusion the clunk was the frame of the wipers blades themselves. Goto wiperblades.co.uk and order some of the flat 'retrofit' blades which have no frame at all, they completely solved the problem.

Hi,

I had EXACTLY the same thing that you describe. I could not find any fault or bends in the wiper arms and came to the conclusion the clunk was the frame of the wipers blades themselves. Goto wiperblades.co.uk and order some of the flat 'retrofit' blades which have no frame at all, they completely solved the problem.

Tay

Thank you for this information. I see the Wiperbaldes website has a few options for blades for my car which are:-

Wiper Blades (own brand) Flat retrofit WB5-21 WB5-18

Valeo Specific retrofit UM661 UM621

Valeo R53 R45

I have a different car to yours but are you able to be a bit more specific. Was Wiperblades own brand you bought. If you don't know do not worry I will try various ones starting with their own brand.

Thanks

Roystond

Hi Roy,

These are the ones I went for;

My link

Not only are they silent but they are really good wipers too, as well as pretty cheap.

Hope it helps, the noise was driving me nuts for ages until I came across these! I hadn't seen them in this style before, I think they are relatively new..

Previously I would put a set of blades on and they would be okay for about a month and then the noise would return. I have had these on for about three months now and they are still silent.

Cheers

The newer flat style blades really are a revelation when it comes to noise. My old normal Bosch blades would make annoying juddering noises if the glass wasn't quite wet enough, since I fitted the Valeo flat blades that I got from Halfords they've been perfect.

• 11 months later...

Thanks Tay- still a useful post 1 year on.

Have just found this after puting up with noisy, clunking Toyota Avensis 2004 wiper for 2 years. Flat Aero Wiper Blades from wiperblades.co.uk now fitted and almost silent.