Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Rattle

RubySoho

Hi guys, I would be grateful if anyone can give me a clue to my rattly noise...

In the last week or so, the car starts fine as normal but when I pull away I get a rattle, rather like pinking but its hard to tell if it is or not.

If I rev the engine (only a bit)it doesn't do it. When I pull away it does. So, I am not sure if it is because the wheels are turning and its mechanical,or if something is about to drop out.

After a few hundred yards, it goes away. Seems to have been worse in this awful wet weather, it was fine in the snow and ice.

Spooks me it does...I'm always scared of breaking down. My Yaris has been fabulous and has never let me down in the 2 years I have had it.

Any info gratefully received.

Take care all

xx

In the last week or so, the car starts fine as normal but when I pull away I get a rattle, rather like pinking but its hard to tell if it is or not.

If I rev the engine (only a bit)it doesn't do it. When I pull away it does. So, I am not sure if it is because the wheels are turning and its mechanical,or if something is about to drop out.

After a few hundred yards, it goes away. Seems to have been worse in this awful wet weather, it was fine in the snow and ice.

Spooks me it does...I'm always scared of breaking down. My Yaris has been fabulous and has never let me down in the 2 years I have had it.

Take care all

xx

Hi Ruby. I have a similar rattle (I think) to yours! Mine's a 1999 Yaris and the metallic (growly) rattling noise occurs only briefly when the car is in gear and pulling from low revs (about 1500-1800 rpm). I can replicate it in all gears, so it can't be the driveshaft. It then disappears as the revs rise above ~1800. It doesn't happen when the car is stationary and the engine revved and it certainly doesn't sound like a driveshaft fault to me: these usually click or knock, and anyway it's not road-speed dependent. The noise appears to be coming from the front passenger footwell. I've had the wheel arch liner off and fitted rubber inserts to various parts. I've fitted adhesive accoustic pads under the front wing (fender) in case the wing was resonanting - no effect. I've also had the wheel off and checked everything I can see (including the manifold, and silencer pipe (there's no heat shield) with a plastic hammer (tap tap tap) to no avail. It just sounds like something has worked loose down there, but I'm completely mystified as to what it might be now. Any ideas folks?

Take care all

xx

Hi Ruby. I have a similar rattle (I think) to yours! Mine's a 1999 Yaris and the metallic (growly) rattling noise occurs only briefly when the car is in gear and pulling from low revs (about 1500-1800 rpm). I can replicate it in all gears, so it can't be the driveshaft. It then disappears as the revs rise above ~1800. It doesn't happen when the car is stationary and the engine revved and it certainly doesn't sound like a driveshaft fault to me: these usually click or knock, and anyway it's not road-speed dependent. The noise appears to be coming from the front passenger footwell. I've had the wheel arch liner off and fitted rubber inserts to various parts. I've fitted adhesive accoustic pads under the front wing (fender) in case the wing was resonanting - no effect. I've also had the wheel off and checked everything I can see (including the manifold, and silencer pipe (there's no heat shield) with a plastic hammer (tap tap tap) to no avail. It just sounds like something has worked loose down there, but I'm completely mystified as to what it might be now. Any ideas folks?

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't dare take anything apart but I understand what you mean.

It hasn't done it since the weather got better funnily enough. But I shall mention it when it comes to the service and will probably print of your post to help explain.

Mine seems to be coming from the drivers side....we shall see what happens....

Cheers

xx

My Yaris also has some annoying rattles; Last one was the bonnet lit, which I fixed by wrapping electrical tape around the hook latch.

The latest annoying one is from the passenger side somewhere near the A-pillar and only manifests itself at about 1100rpm.

I had a mate sit upside down while I drove at 7mph in 1st gear to see if he could find it but we gave up in the end XD

As long as it's not something from the engine bay, you're probably okay as it's likely just the cheapy plastics vibrating.

Take care al

Hi, I have just joined the Toyota club and have just seen your message, was very interested as I have the same problem, I have had my

Yaris for 5 years and have loved it as its very reliable. My rattle started a year ago and have asked so many people if they now what

is causing it but no one seems to know, very annoying. When its up to speed it goes well its just the build up from 1-3 gear more so

when the car is full. Lets hope some one out there can help.x M

So difficult to diagnose without actually hearing it. From what you describe it sounds like it's worst when the engine is under load, so could point to the many different things like the cam chain, the water pump bearing or even a gearbox/transmission issue. I would pop it into a good local garage and ask them to have a listen for you or you could just end up throwing money at it. Sorry I cannot be more help!

Hii, I have a 1999 yaris and it too has a rattle, but I believe I've found the problem, I found tht above the exhaust back box there is a sort of heat shield, one of the two bolts holding it on has rusted and it has come loose, so when the revs are lowish , not always, but generally low revs I think the back box must clash against the shield creating a rattle :D dnt know if this would help but ye :)

• 1 month later...

Take care all

xx

My Vitz 2007 (same as Yaris) 1.0 (1KR-FE) 45,000 km (auto CVT) also have same noise (like belt sound) when car is running (throttling) for few minutes just after starts. After the engine warms up, sound goes out. In idling no noise. Just after start, I put the gear in to D position; brake paddle pressed and throttled same style like my throttling style when start running. Then noise comes out (that mean noise comes out when engine running with load).

According to my observations,

1. Rapid vehicle acceleration in just after start or any other time, no noise

2. Idling just after start or any other time, no noise

3. Idling and throttling in neutral or parking position, no noise

4. higher speeds and rpm, no noise

5. noise comes only calm acceleration just after start and for few minutes within first 1 – 2 kilometers

Weather condition 30 0C in day and 25 0C at night.

Please help me to identify this ……………….

• 3 years later...

Hello, My 09 yars was making a binding clunk that I could occasionally feel in the floor. After 2 years of searching and found everything to be tight I saw a crease in the subframe where the control arm is attached. I remember hitting a brick a few years back and that explained the crease. As I looked closer there was a piece of the subframe bent up and stressing against the control arm. I bent it back to look like the passenger side without a crease and now the noise is gone. A free fix and what a relief. If you ever bottom out this kind of car it could possibly cause the same binding "clink" that I found.

Hope this helps one person even

GC

• 5 years later...

Guys, 

I am having the same issue with a Toyota yaris 2015 model. There is no rattling noise when the car is idle, but just when I start to pull away it makes the noise. It stops after I attain a certain speed like above 20 mph. Any Ideas? 

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to shed some light on the issue, at least from my point of view. I had a rattle too, coming from the left front side of my Yaris 04. I’m from Sweden, it’s a car sold in Sweden, hence the steering wheel is on the left side and not on the right as in the UK or any other country where people refuse to drive on the right side of the road 😉

The rattle manifested itself at around 1500 rpm when the car was in a load, but it could also appear when it was in neutral (manual gearbox), although not as loud. It sounded like metal to metal, but it wasn’t as is explained below!

I took a further look in the engine compartment and in the bottom was a small rock lying on the bottom “plate” (don’t know the real name for it) bouncing about making the noise. Furthermore the pipe leading air from the headlight area to the intake manifold was moving against the engine “wall” at the place where the end is attached to a nut holding it in place. It was loose, so I attached it with some plastic strips holding it tight in place. No more rattle! 

Have a look at my pictures. One of them has a text written in Swedish saying “skramlar” which means “rattles”. 

B079A457-7054-48C3-8055-ECC0D256C36C.jpeg

D7310FE1-0717-4602-B2E0-DE70FF159242.jpeg

• Like 2

The topic is ten years old, and most posters on this topic have not visited Toyota Owners Club for years. So a bit late to the party - whether you drive on the left or the right.

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The topic is ten years old, and most posters on this topic have not visited Toyota Owners Club for years. So a bit late to the party - whether you drive on the left or the right.

I know mate, thanks for your reply. This topic is however the first coming up when you google “Yaris rattle” or the like so I thought if I leave an answer here I might help other people having the same issue. 

cheers 

18 hours ago, AndersL said:

Just wanted to shed some light on the issue, at least from my point of view. I had a rattle too, coming from the left front side of my Yaris 04. I’m from Sweden, it’s a car sold in Sweden, hence the steering wheel is on the left side and not on the right as in the UK or any other country where people refuse to drive on the right side of the road 😉

In the UK we do drive on the right side of the road…… it’s called the Left.

• Haha 2

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree 😉 . I would never dare to drive in the UK through roundabouts. I’ve seen you even have small  roundabouts before you enter the bigger roundabout in the middle. Imagine doing that in the, for me, wrong direction!

33 minutes ago, AndersL said:

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree 😉 . I would never dare to drive in the UK through roundabouts. I’ve seen you even have small  roundabouts before you enter the bigger roundabout in the middle. Imagine doing that in the, for me, wrong direction!

I have driven on holiday in Spain, Portugal, and USA. It is tricky getting the brain to adjust. And I have had to stop at a roundabout and think how to tackle it, getting horn hoots from drivers behind me.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:44 PM, AndersL said:

The rattle manifested itself at around 1500 rpm when the car was in a load, but it could also appear when it was in neutral (manual gearbox), although not as loud. It sounded like metal to metal, but it wasn’t as is explained below!

I took a further look in the engine compartment and in the bottom was a small rock lying on the bottom “plate” (don’t know the real name for it) bouncing about making the noise. Furthermore the pipe leading air from the headlight area to the intake manifold was moving against the engine “wall” at the place where the end is attached to a nut holding it in place. It was loose, so I attached it with some plastic strips holding it tight in place. No more rattle! 

Have a look at my pictures. One of them has a text written in Swedish saying “skramlar” which means “rattles”. 

B079A457-7054-48C3-8055-ECC0D256C36C.jpeg

D7310FE1-0717-4602-B2E0-DE70FF159242.jpeg

You did well to find that one!  You may also like to try some neoprene tape or self-amalgamating tape inside the join instead of using the tie-wraps.  It still allows easier dismantling and will hold it all solidly in place

4 hours ago, AndersL said:

I've done it, in France. I'm sure many other UK drivers have also.

Found a few more rattles in mine - the push button panel on the dash binnacle was rubbing against the frame. Self adhesive felt cured that one.  Cable harness inside the dash under the clocks were tapping the plastic storage pockets - fabric tape around that has sorted them. But there's a kind of buzz at the front which i cant tell is from the dash or the sound is from the roof and bouncing off the dash...

Typical rear panel rattles - these will be removed and lined with CCF and the edges with some felt.  Chasing rattles in the Yaris is never ending!

13 minutes ago, corradovr6 said:

You did well to find that one!  You may also like to try some neoprene tape or self-amalgamating tape inside the join instead of using the tie-wraps.  It still allows easier dismantling and will hold it all solidly in place

That’s a good one, thanks mate!