Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E Tvss Iib Alarm System

markwhalebone

Hi all, this is my first post on here, and sadly its about a topic which has already had a lot of attention. I can't seem to find the answer, I have searched, but I may be missing something so feel free to point me in the right direction if appropriate rather than reopening an old discussion.

I have a 1997 Carina E 2.0 Auto estate with the TVSS IIB alarm system which is playing up and I have come to the conclusion that I need to deactivate or remove it my questions are as follows;

1) Is it possible to deactivate the alarm indefinately without removal? I do have the 2 button oval controller (separate from the key) which works intermittently. I see you can lock the car without activating the alarm by unlocking the car using the remote then locking using the key in less than 30s but as I said my remote is playing up and soon will break - I just know it. This would be my prefered option.

2) If deactivation is not possible, can I remove this alarm system without affecting the operation of the car? (I don't need to remove the immobiliser - its working fine and I have 2 keys with chips)

3) Where are the components which I need to remove? Or can I leave them in and just rewire to bypass them?

I have seen a step by step guide on here for the removal of a carina alarm, but its a different model I think. It would be great, if anyone has done it, to have something similar for this version. Nothing in the haynes manual or the owners manual.

Dealer not interested unless I want a brand new system, which given the age and value of the car seems a bit silly to me!

Cheers, Mark

Mark,

If it's anything like the one on my 1997 1.8GS then the connector you are looking for is below the washer bottle (or expansion tank,can't remember.I'll check when I go to work in a minute.) in the front chassis member (offside wing).Remove the bottle and do a bit of fishing and you should find it.

Mine played up first when my Battery dropped below 50% of it's nominal charge.A new Battery didn't clear the alarm so I disconnected it and the car runs fine without it.I believe that replacing the back up Battery in the alarm will sort it but I don't fancy the strip down to do it.The two button remote does play up from time to time (it is getting on a bit) so I lock it with a key mainly.

Jagger

Had a look and I think it's the expansion tank that needs to be raised to see the hole in the chassis member that contaiins the connector.

Brilliant, I read this so I thought I would look to see if I could disconnect my alarm, and there it was under the expansion tank, my Battery kept draining and I reckoned it was the alarm, I had no remote with the car, I have been disconnecting the Battery when it stands a few days, so no flat Battery, I shall test it with the battery on to see if it drains again.

Hi Jagger, thanks for the reply! So do I simply disconnect the alarm? It seems almost too simple! :P I would have thought unplugging it would cause it to go off indefinitely as a tamper proofing design feature. Hey it's worth a try! Oh I dream of being able to just use my key rather than faff around with the damn alarm/remote! Thanks. Mark

I think this may be the same system as fitted to the 4.1 RAV4s. Endless problems and many of us have removed the system.

Mark,

On my car disconnecting the connector below the expansion tank stopped my alarm from going off and I've not had problems since.This doesn't interfere with the operation of the remote it just stops the whining noise.I can still use the remote but sometimes it won't unlock the car after remote locking.Using the key will open the car with the hazards flashing but the car will start and drive on the key with no alarm and the hazards go off after 30 seconds.

There are two alarms.One intrusion alarm where the horns sound when the doors are opened,and the other an anti-tamper alarm which uses a sickeningly loud siren that goes off if the Battery is disconnected.It was the siren one that this stops without any drawbacks as far as I can find.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I disconnected my alarm where Jaggerismyname said it was, and now no more flat Battery, and everything works fine, I just use the key, no remote, I think the immobiliser still comes on because the light is on, I may be wrong but who cares as long as the Battery don't go flat.