Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Misfire On Cylinder 2 - Possible Coil?

Lizzie Mac

Hi All

Have run a diagnostic on my MR2 Roadster (Sept 2000 X Reg, 68000 miles) after the Engine Management Warning light came on and subsequently made me cry :crybaby:

It appears there's a "misfire on cylinder 2" and I have been advised that I might need a new coil??

The plugs haven't been changed in yonks so that's my first port of call - just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same? New plugs only £11 for a set but going to price up coils!

Thanks y'all

Liz

Mine had a misfire on one of the cylinders and it was thought to be a coil pack but it turned out to be an injector, the coils packs are easy to swap over so if you start by doing this and the misfire moves with the suspect coil then that is your problem. If the misfire stays with No2 cylinder then you look at the injectors, one way to check is to disconnect the plug to the injector and start up, this doesn't confirm that the injector is at fault but points in the direction of that cylinder, you can hear a functioning injector ticking with a stethoscope or in my case a long screwdriver, it was clear with mine that it was knack......no good ;) and once replaced all has been well.

These are process of elimination methods and might not solve your problem if it is caused by low compression in that cylinder.

Good luck with you diagnosis and let us know the results :thumbsup:

Les

• Like 1

Hi Les

Thanks loads for this :yes: - got a new coil (never heard of the make) - put it on cylinder 2 and the car won't run on it at all. :unsure: So, got old coil back, swapped it with cylinder 4 and the misfire moved from cylinder 2 to cylinder 4 so hopefully the coil pack is all I need but we think the one I've bought (£48) must be faulty. We did diagnosic on it and a load more error codes came up. Have been wanting to change the car for ages and intend to trade it in when all sorted so don't wanna have to get all 4 coils. Have had a quote of £72 for a Bosch coil so will try that and cross my fingers. So far paid a garage £55 and it's not even sorted. :crybaby: Cheaper than main agent though eh!!

Will keep you posted - thanks again.

Liz

Yeah that's if we get a summer this year!

Still no further on. :crybaby: Took what we thought was a dodgy coil back, got a new one, fitted it today and at least now it runs but it's like a bag of spanners.....it's got no power and sounds dreadful so just don't know what it is.....my Dad thinks it could be the injector but when we transferred the coil to cylinder 4 the misfire moved from 2 to 4 so we just thought it was the coil. Can't get it on a diagnostic without paying £30 a go.....taking it to different garage on Friday.....How much did it cost you to sort yours?

Fanks

Liz

Hi Les

Thanks loads for this :yes: - got a new coil (never heard of the make) - put it on cylinder 2 and the car won't run on it at all. :unsure: So, got old coil back, swapped it with cylinder 4 and the misfire moved from cylinder 2 to cylinder 4 so hopefully the coil pack is all I need but we think the one I've bought (£48) must be faulty. We did diagnosic on it and a load more error codes came up. Have been wanting to change the car for ages and intend to trade it in when all sorted so don't wanna have to get all 4 coils. Have had a quote of £72 for a Bosch coil so will try that and cross my fingers. So far paid a garage £55 and it's not even sorted. :crybaby: Cheaper than main agent though eh!!

Will keep you posted - thanks again.

Liz

Me again sorry - Have had it in at another garage today and its deffo the injector but we can't source a part anywhere. Tried Toyota and a national search says no dealers have got one in stock £167.81 :( - Just wondering where you got yours from? Gonna try eBay tomorrow.

Cheers

You could try this company. Haven't used them myself, but seem to have good reviews on the net

www.injectorcleaning.co.uk - HGL Motors, Hull

Hi Liz

Glad you found the problem :thumbsup:

Sorry it isn't a cheap fix :(

I was lucky enough to get an old one that a friend had after he upgraded his, so I hope you can find something suitable but be careful what you go for as there can be cheap and functional or cheap and nasty :shutit:

Les

Me again sorry - Have had it in at another garage today and its deffo the injector but we can't source a part anywhere. Tried Toyota and a national search says no dealers have got one in stock £167.81 :( - Just wondering where you got yours from? Gonna try ebay tomorrow.

Cheers

These on eBay. Can't comment on quality etc though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-COROLLA-AVENSIS-MR2-YARIS-PETROL-FUEL-INJECTOR-/220735338391?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3364d9f797

Hi Les

I managed to get one from 247spares.com from a salvage company in oldham for £40 plus £10 postage. It's got a 30day guarantee. Car is running beautifully and it almost pains me to part with it but it's gonna have to go. It's nearly 11 years old now and it's time for a change.

Thanks for all your help - deffo try that 247spares website - people ring you within minutes if you put your number in!

CHeers

liz

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links