Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Had Two Dmf Failures?

Mike5100

We are just about to take the plunge and replace either with the Blueprint kit, or genuine Toyota parts (at similar prices) or go for a cheaper LUK kit. We can get the LUK kit fitted for about £750 (inc clutch) whereas the genuine toyota stuff is £1600. But presumably the genuine stuff can fail again at 60k miles, so the question is has anyone any experience of failures with the cheap kits - particularly LUK?

Thanks

Mike

We are just about to take the plunge and replace either with the Blueprint kit, or genuine Toyota parts (at similar prices) or go for a cheaper LUK kit. We can get the LUK kit fitted for about £750 (inc clutch) whereas the genuine toyota stuff is £1600. But presumably the genuine stuff can fail again at 60k miles, so the question is has anyone any experience of failures with the cheap kits - particularly LUK?

Thanks

Mike

the luk kit is the original dmf that they have the patent on. its a good chancs that the toyota one is made by luk anyway.but others may no better.

Thanks Acetip. That could make a difference. Don't take this the wrong way but Veleo customer servcie told me they make them for Toyota, and the independent garage told me Blueprint ADL make them for Toyota .... perhaps of course they all do :-)

Mike

No don't buy the LUK,the only one that won't give you problems is the Blueprint SMF and clutch,no vibe issues and I've had no probs in the last couple of years with mine,I've mentioned this on other threads before,I fitted a customer supplied SMF which wasn't Blueprint(I can'tt remember the make but he got it of fleabay) and although it worked a treat he had very slight pulsing when the pedal was fully down,we compared the 2 cars and he did say that mine was better but he lived with it.By the way Blueprint DO make them for Toyota

No don't buy the LUK,the only one that won't give you problems is the Blueprint SMF and clutch,no vibe issues and I've had no probs in the last couple of years with mine,I've mentioned this on other threads before,I fitted a customer supplied SMF which wasn't Blueprint(I can'tt remember the make but he got it of fleabay) and although it worked a treat he had very slight pulsing when the pedal was fully down,we compared the 2 cars and he did say that mine was better but he lived with it.By the way Blueprint DO make them for Toyota

SMF is the way to go as long as there are no side issues.

perhaps of course they all do :-)

Well the thing is most of the major players make kits for the major manufacturers HOWEVER Most people take OEM to mean its an orginal clutch to the same spec as the original fitted at the factory WRONG!

OEM is one of the most overused misrepresentations of our time, an OEM part is NOT necassarily made to the same spec as an orginal part and the quality is very often nowhere near what was required when supplied to the factory. it means Original Equipment Manufacturer but is not a sign of quality by itself, aftermarket parts are often made to a lower standard (in fact made to a price) so be warned ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Mike,

Last month had the pleasure of replacing DMF and decided upon a solid flywheel (with lifetime guarantee) which is working just fine and should negate the worry of future failure.

Also had the following at the same time and change out of £1,500 all in:-

- Replaced clutch

- Replaced water pump assembly (had clearly been leaking for ages!)

- Replaced Cam belt

- Replaced Cam belt tensioner assembly

- Renewed all oils, coolant & steering fluid

- Replaced all filters

- Replaced original Battery (8 years old)

Oh, and MOT whilst they were at it!

If you are in Herts, Beds or Bucks I can give you their number - they were great.

Andy

Thanks Andy .... Just had the cam belt thingy done, and have got a very good price on the LUK kit. Appreciate what you are saying Hemi (and followed the argument on long thread). But I'd really like to hear from anyone who has actually had the LUK kit fitted

Thanks

Mike

perhaps of course they all do :-)

Well the thing is most of the major players make kits for the major manufacturers HOWEVER Most people take OEM to mean its an orginal clutch to the same spec as the original fitted at the factory WRONG!

OEM is one of the most overused misrepresentations of our time, an OEM part is NOT necassarily made to the same spec as an orginal part and the quality is very often nowhere near what was required when supplied to the factory. it means Original Equipment Manufacturer but is not a sign of quality by itself, aftermarket parts are often made to a lower standard (in fact made to a price) so be warned ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

hi kingo.

is toyota original DMF made by LUK.though it could still be marked toyota.

Hi Mike,

I have a 2002 RAV4 DVD 2.0 GX and at 47K the DMF failed, replaced under warranty by Toyota 5 years ago, my second DMF failed November last year after a further 48K - I was told at the time that there would be no further problems by Toyota when they fitted the replacement so you can imagine my surprise when it went AGAIN almost around the same mileage...

I have gone for the cheaper replacement part, I shall let you know in another 48K if it goes again, assuming I still have the car......

Thanks Rav4girl, That's what my daughter concluded last night. Since the forum isn't full of cheap parts failing at 20 or 30k miles, might as well save the money and hopefully not have to fork out again until about when the genuine Toyota part would go.

Mike