Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 D4D 2001 Hesitation And Power Loss

wakeboardbabe

oh , just to put your mind at rest on one of your questions your car doesn't have a DPF fitted.

colin

Thank you for the replies, a friend of mine had a look at it briefly today and he says he can hear a hissing sound come from the middle of the engine bay when rpm is about 2800 onwards, hes looked for cracked/splits on the pipes but its hard to tell where its coming from!!! its been great today when at working tempurature, no hesitation but it has to be proper working temperature anything below and the hesitation is there!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

I have same problems just did diagnostics this is what came up:

P0101   Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance

P0105   Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit

P1251 Step Motor for Turbocharger Control Circuit (Intermittent)

• 1 year later...

Hello guys, 

I saw this discussion and I have same problem. 

Drive gear 1, 2 until 3000-3500 r/m without any problem. When I change from 2 to 3 and try to reach over 3000 r/min, around 3000 my car has hessitation to pass it, stay at 3000 for 4-6 seconds and after that grow the speed and r/min until 4000-4500. The problem it is only around 3000 r/min. 

I did change: EGR second hand clean, pedal sensor

I clean: air sensor pressure from throttle body, clean air senzor MAF. 

I clean all the electrical connection and spray with contact cleaner. 

I clean with EGR diesel cleaner both holes behind the EGR. With one small tube conected at spray and introduced around 10-15 cm. A lot of dirty. 

Surprise: on the tester - Zero error, no limp mode, no eror on boar check engine go off after I start the car. 

Somebody recommend me to change:

Turbo pressure sensor

Turbo pressure regulatory

Somebody have ideea? 

Air intake mainfold it is easy to dismantle and clean? 

Many thanks

• 11 months later...

Hi

I was having the problem of intermittent lose of power at different speeds, no engine light would come on and no fault codes detected! It was dangerous to drive, Id have to pull over, rev it back to life and proceed!

I bit the bullet and got it in to Toyota where they thought it was the SCVs. This was however was not guaranteed to be the cause and they wanted £800 for the pleasure of replacing them! I decided to buy the parts from eBay and had a local mechanic fit them (the same brand but at a quarter of the price). However the problem was still there!

After some investigating online I decided to take off the EGR and the Mass Air Flow sensor and give both a good clean with EGR cleaner ( gotta love you tube). They were both pretty badly covered in black soot/carbon . After replacing both ( the whole process took about an hour) I took the car out and the problem was gone ! It runs sweet!! I've since driven over 50 miles and not once has the fault returned. Normally the power lose would happen after matter of a couple of miles or less! Why Toyota didn't check these I have no idea instead they were happy to tell me I had a number plate bulb out!

Anyone experiencing the same lose of power should start with these two areas before thinking it could be an expensive "needle in a haystack" even for someone with minimal mechanical knowledge, this is an easy job and with cost you £10 for the cleaner!

Good luck

The EGR is supposed to be covered in soot/carbon, the MAF should never have soot/carbon on it unless something is very wrong. Unfortunately mechanics in franchise dealers have been reduced to following guided diagnostics, this generally consists of plugging the car in and hoping it tells you what part to swap out, if not, you’re SOL.

• 1 year later...

Had a similar issue last year and now that I found this thread I just wanted to share. I have a Rav4 from 2001 as well, so quite old in today's world and although it's expected to eat more fuel as the years pass, it was going through a lot more gallons than I was expecting. My friend also has a 2005 model, and his was having nowhere as big of consumption as mine. Had the usual problem with the car service I went to, had the man look a bit at the car, said it was old, it's normal, I insisted to have it looked at, he found a little punctured tube and proceeded to replace it saying that was the whole issue. Spoiler alert, it was not. It wasn't until one month later when I noticed the issue was still going strong that I got a toyota rav4 ecm repair and guess what, that was where the problem was coming from!

1 hour ago, FaviolaBrockied said:

Had a similar issue last year and now that I found this thread I just wanted to share. I have a Rav4 from 2001 as well, so quite old in today's world and although it's expected to eat more fuel as the years pass, it was going through a lot more gallons than I was expecting. My friend also has a 2005 model, and his was having nowhere as big of consumption as mine. Had the usual problem with the car service I went to, had the man look a bit at the car, said it was old, it's normal, I insisted to have it looked at, he found a little punctured tube and proceeded to replace it saying that was the whole issue. Spoiler alert, it was not. It wasn't until one month later when I noticed the issue was still going strong that I got a toyota rav4 ecm repair and guess what, that was where the problem was coming from!

The service you conveniently link to is for petrol auto’s generally found in other markets, this thread relates to diesels with manual transmission. Now if you had suggested the injector driver was the issue, I would be interested. Alternatively if you do have ECU (or other issues) the likes of ACTronics or ECU Testing in the UK are who the trade tend to use, I used to recommend BBA Reman, but they have become a liability in the last few years.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links