Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vsc And Trc Off

1stfamilyestate

I have a 2007 2.2 Avensis estate. Once I have been driving the car for about 15 mins the VSC and TRC OFF light come on, on the dash board. There are no other symptoms. I took the car to a local garage today, who read the fault code for me and have reported problems with the stop light switch and the steering angle sensor. I have taken the car away to think about what to do next? Has anyone else had these problems, or sound advice on this issue?

The only time they came on for me it was my EGR valve that wasn't working. Was it a Toyota dealer that checked the codes?

no, it was a local garage. They cleared the codes, but lights re-appeared within 20 minutes.

I read somewhere that there was a recall for a problem like this on the Avensis, apparently the yaw sensor fails disabling the TRC and VSC. Might be that.

EDIT - Just checked, recall date was 2004 so I doubt it's that as your car is 2007.

My vehicle has done the same today its going into toyota on monday both VSC and TRC are staying on , i suspect the EGR as it will not rev or pull gets to about 40 MPH only and in second gear it gets slower. I am disabled and not been able to give car a long run over the past year, my wife drives it but not on long drives that is why i suspect the EGR. Due to my :wheelchair: disability i can not do any work on it as i use to do in the past, so its gotta go in to toyota's workshop.

• Like 1

My vehicle has done the same today its going into toyota on monday both VSC and TRC are staying on , i suspect the EGR as it will not rev or pull gets to about 40 MPH only and in second gear it gets slower. I am disabled and not been able to give car a long run over the past year, my wife drives it but not on long drives that is why i suspect the EGR. Due to my :wheelchair: disability i can not do any work on it as i use to do in the past, so its gotta go in to toyota's workshop.

Just an update on the above, the cars been in the garage all day just had a telephone call to say its the MAFF at fault, part ordered and now awaiting it.

The new MAFF i been told has be modified from the original one fitted, i might be a bit dumb on what a MAFF is all i know is its fitted somewhere in conjuntion with the CAT, however can any of you guys enlighten me ? Could this MAFF cause my car not pulling and put the VSC and TRC on as described in my last post ?

Your comments are very welcome.

may well be wrong but I believe it's the Mass Airflow sensor which obviuosly works with the ECU to determine fuel injection for combustion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor

If it's giving wrong info to the ECU then you quite easily will lose power.

The VSC & TRC lights on are telling you there is a fault.

The MAF is a Mass Air Flow meter, that is directly off the airbox. It doesn't really have anything to do with the CAT, apart from the ECU reading the airflow and applying fuel accordingly, which in turn gets burnt and makes its way to the CAT.

Are you sure you are not getting confused with the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve)?

The MAF is a Mass Air Flow meter, that is directly off the airbox. It doesn't really have anything to do with the CAT, apart from the ECU reading the airflow and applying fuel accordingly, which in turn gets burnt and makes its way to the CAT.

Are you sure you are not getting confused with the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve)?

No not confused, that what the garage says "TOYOTA" they are replacing the MAFF becaose is clogged.

I wasn't trying to be patronising, i was checking that you had been told right as you said yourself that you didn't know much about them, and it seemed odd that a MAF would get clogged.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I wasn't trying to be patronising, i was checking that you had been told right as you said yourself that you didn't know much about them, and it seemed odd that a MAF would get clogged.

:thumbsup:

I never thought you was dave and thank you for your input, i use to work on my own vehicles years back but these days techy stuff is to much for me, one of my family members who works for toyata took the car in for me hoping i get some discount :thumbsup: first thought the EGR but they are adament its the MAFF.

My car now has now been in the service bay at toyota since lasl sunday new MAF fitted EGR cleaned, it seems to me that these diagnostic machines can throw up many faults and the machanics who read the codes seem to do the cheapest option first then move to next fault if its not fixed by last replacment, last i heard from toyota its now the CAT this is gonna cost more than i first thought.

As stated before the car has only done short trips out and not daily use either, i am thinking of changing to a petrol engine when i get it back but sticking with toyota, i can not fault them even though i have a problem with mine just now, i have had a lots of new cars from them in the past but never owned any as long as the avenis i have now as its been a good all rounder.

So are they trying to charge you for all of the work? That could be an interesting conversation as their diagnosis was either incorrect or incomplete. For the future, it could be worth going the long way around on one of your short journeys every couple of weeks, taking in a dual carriageway and opening your car up a bit. You don't necessarily need to speed, just rev it good and hard in the lower gears and let it 'clear its throat' so to speak.

I have a 2009 Avensis.

I get a VSC warning on the dash but only after I have stalled the car. The time between stalling and the warning varies, can be as short as a week, can be over a month. The way to clear it on my car is to turn the engine off. When I start the engine again, the warning has gone.

Well my cars back, all work paid for by toyota.

Work carried out.

pipe no 1

boss converter.

converter man.

gasket exhaust.

gasket turbo.

gasket kit engine.

gasket cylinder haed.

piston sub-assy.

ring set, pistons.

sealer.

engine oil.

oil filter kit.

bearing set 2 off

In closing this thread i will add i have only praise for my local dealership and toyota.................WELL DONE.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the TRC and VSC warning lights on, as well as the engine malfunction light. The Toyota garage told me that they have narrowed it down to be the glow plugs, and will also need an ECU update. It seems strange to me that the cure for mine is totally different to the cure for yours. If it were just the engine management light then it would make sense, but for the TRC and VSC lights to be on makes the whole thing seem very odd... £200 for glow plugs and the update. I'm still thinking about it, and the car is still going fine at the moment (fingers crossed).

As suggested by other forum users, a blocked EGR valve will turn these lights on. Give it a good clean out yourself before spending any money, may solve your problem. Check for previous posting for cleaning EGR valve, someone put a posting on forum of a step by step guide to cleaning valve with pictures.

Regards, Beagh.

when these lights appeared on mine i had the code read at toyota and the fault turned out to be the glowplugs too , 100 sterlings to replace

• 1 month later...

Work carried out.

pipe no 1

boss converter.

converter man.

gasket exhaust.

gasket turbo.

gasket kit engine.

gasket cylinder haed.

piston sub-assy.

ring set, pistons.

sealer.

engine oil.

oil filter kit.

bearing set 2 off

In closing this thread i will add i have only praise for my local dealership and toyota.................WELL DONE.

As you can see from the above my car was in for repair and had the above replaced, got car back on the 27/01/2011 well its now leaking oil from somewhere, the oil is dripping on the stone gaurd to the right looking at it from the front and onto the road, however i can not find any sign of loss on the oil dipstick, its booked in for next week but in the meantime anyone got a clue where this oil can be leaking from in the area affore mentioned if its not leaking from the sump ?

Thanks alot for any input.

Work carried out.

pipe no 1

boss converter.

converter man.

gasket exhaust.

gasket turbo.

gasket kit engine.

gasket cylinder haed.

piston sub-assy.

ring set, pistons.

sealer.

engine oil.

oil filter kit.

bearing set 2 off

As you can see from the above my car was in for repair and had the above replaced, got car back on the 27/01/2011 well its now leaking oil from somewhere, the oil is dripping on the stone gaurd to the right looking at it from the front and onto the road, however i can not find any sign of loss on the oil dipstick, its booked in for next week but in the meantime anyone got a clue where this oil can be leaking from in the area affore mentioned if its not leaking from the sump ?

Thanks alot for any input.

Been thinking about this problem, is the gearbox on the right looking from the front ?

Maybe loss of gearbox lube, i am disabled and its hard for me to get to the oil patch as i can't get up off the ground once down.

Depends how much is leaking really. A little oil goes a long way without any noticable difference on the dipstick. Could be spilled oil from when the work was done but since when were any of us that lucky? garage should sort it for you but keep an eye on it for the future.

Depends how much is leaking really. A little oil goes a long way without any noticable difference on the dipstick. Could be spilled oil from when the work was done but since when were any of us that lucky? garage should sort it for you but keep an eye on it for the future.

Hi druid boy thanks for your replie.

I am sure the oil level on the dipstick has not dropped, as i have checked it daily from its repair, also the oil on the road does not look as if its engine oil, i have had older motors in my life thats dropped oil and the oil has disipated to a larger area on the road due to being thinner, this oil area is the size of a 50 pence in the areas it last dripped and stays that size for over a week , so i am thinking thicker gear lube than the thinner engine, i would feel more certian in my mind if i knew the gearbox was on ther right looking from front of the vehicle.

Thick lube....maybe a driveshaft joint? I thought gearbox oil was quite thin and usually quite clean cos it doesn't have to cope with the extreme temperatures the engine oil has to cope with. Starting to doubt my own mind now......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links