Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis - Broken Rear Parking Sensor

Brendan2

Hi,

I've had a minor bump on the rear right of my 2006 Avensis estate (Diesel D4D T3X).

It came with rear parking sensors which are extremely useful.

Well, someone has bumped our rear - I could see no visible damage initially, but later I noticed that the parking sensor was now emitting a continuous beep.

On closer inspection I found that the rear extreme offside sensor was broken. (There are four) It was slightly cracked and pushed through. I managed to get it out, and have disconnected it and taped up the wire and hole for the time being. Unfortunately the continuous beep is still there, so I've switched the sensors off using the switch under the floor.

Toyota only replace the entire set of sensors apparently, and it's an expensive job.

However it looks as if it might be possible to fit a new sensor, soldering wires together if necessary and pushing it into the 20mm hole (haven't researched if that's possible... it might be more difficult than that).

Does anyone know if that's possible, and if so, where I can get a single compatible sensor for a 2006 Avensis? I've searched this forum and I can see full kits on eBay, but no-one just selling one sensor. If I buy and install a whole kit it would be a much bigger job and if I just try to use one sensor from a kit, I have no idea if these would work with the existing installation.

So, having said all of that, I would be most grateful for any advice anyone can give!

I have recently fitted Parking Sensor on my car myself. I was told to pay 550 from local Mr T.

Just searched on internet, bought a set from e-bay for 30 pounds, got it color coded for 40 pounds and 2 hours job.

Like mentioned about try salvage and if not luck then simple change the whole unit.

And in your case you do not have to work, as holes are already there, all you need to put the new sensors in, get them together and enter it into boot, where you can git the main unit and wiring.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Cheers.

Hi,

Although many have done it many times, but still thought to upload my car photos.

2-3 hours job depending on how active are you.

Here is my car's photos.

vnmo9u.jpg

35k3fgz.jpg

14azccz.jpg

These fittings are recommended by Toyota. So these markings are taken for Toyota booklet.

As I said earlier it cost me around 70-80 to have these and 2-3 hours out of my schedule.

Couple of things, use ultra sonic sensors, as they give better results under adverse weather / or objects like poles.

Also if possible use the lateral two (corners one) at far corners to have better coverage.

Parking sensors, such a relief. Cheers.

• 5 years later...

Hi, how did you route the sensor wires back into the car. I can't seem to find a convenient grommet to route them through. I'm not looking to remove the bumper if it can be avoided. Any help.is much appreciated. 

• 8 months later...

I have nearly the same problem. one sensor is pushed back into the bumper by minor contact, but still in working order. I need to find a way to access the inside of the bumper to push the sensor back into position. Any ideas how to access the space behind bumper?

• 3 years later...

Hi i have 2009 toyota avensis t27 estate it has original raer parking sensor, its quiet rare theese. When i put it in reverse and turn on the botton on in the trunk to turn it on. It just keep making a suond to say that there is something behind. Please help if any one has the same problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links