Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I'm Considering Buying A Yaris

t-spiritpete

Hi to all on the Yaris forum,

I am considering buying a Yaris for my wife, lets say a 5 door 2008 model onwards. I would like to know which the best one to go for petrol or diesel, we would be looking for reliability and economy.

What are the main points to look out for in these cars when buying secondhand other than FSH, are they as good as I am led to believe?

Thanks in advance, Pete.

Diesel if you can afford it, otherwise 1.0 if you're doing mostly urban driving or 1.33 if you're commuting/will be doing semi-regular motorway runs.

The 2008 series only has two trim levels so you'd be looking at T2 or TR.

Of the Mk2 Yaris' I prefer the earlier (~2006ish?) ones as they had better equipment levels compared to the later ones.

I have a Mk1 so my fault knowledge of the Mk2 is not great; Main problems I've seen here have been regarding the gearbox being very notchy and I will say avoid the MMT (Auto) versions as they never got firmware upgrades to stop them sucking.

I like my 2008 TR 1.3, it has enough power for jaunts down the M11 to London and is happy slinking around town at low revs. Have had problems with the gearbox (sometimes difficult to shift, but gets smoother as the car warms up) since buying it 3 months ago, but otherwise it is a good car. Decently comfortable, and there's enough space for three in the back. I'm relatively new to Yaris ownership though, so consider my thoughts more like impressions :)

If you're doing lots of miles though the diesel might be a better choice. More powerful and economical.

Thanks for the info to date,

it doesn't seem like the Yaris has "many worries" up to now, unlike the Avensis forum that I spend quite a bit of my time on.:yes:.

Best regards, Pete.

In 2008 they still did the SR and T Spirit models - they didn't drop them until 2009.

The 2008 SR model is particularly nice - if you happen to like the features it has.

On top of the TR spec, it gets 16" alloy wheels, rear spoiler, lowered suspension, inbuilt Tomtom sat nav with bluetooth phone system and USB MP3 input & kick plates on the door sills.

The 2007 and 2009 SR models had completely different specs.

The T Spirit had auto climate control, keyless entry and different alloys & seat trim.

Also be wary of the TR spec. From late 2008 through 2009 there were numerous spec changes to that trim level - so many that even the salesmen couldn't follow.

First it lost its alloy wheels, reverting to steel.

Then it got it alloys back but lost some of its airbags - so it technically lost its 5* NCAP safety rating.

and finally, it got its airbags back again, retaining its alloys.

So don't just buy a TR without checking that its got the options you expect it to have.

Steer clear of the T2 trim if you can. You lose a lot of useful kit. Every other model above the T2 has a reasonable spec.

In terms of engines - as above.

The diesels are the most powerful and the most economical, but also the most pricy.

The 1.0 is a 3 cylinder unit that's perfectly adequate and also economical, but you have to keep the revs up to keep motoring along.

The 1.3 is a very sweet motor with a bit more low-down torque than the 1.0 but not as economical - we have averaged 38mpg out of our 1.3 over the last two years. We averaged 44 out of our 1.0 over the previous 8 years - although that was an earlier 4cyl 1.0. The newer 3cyl engines should be better than that...

There is also a brand new 1.33 engine came out in late 2009 I think. Six speed gearbox, more power and more economical - with a stop start system. The sixth gear does make it quieter at motorway speeds.

Sounds like its a bit too recent for you, but maybe worth a look....

In terms of what to watch out for - nothing major...

A few little glitches..

The 2008 1.3 model had an issue with its gearbox selector shaft - crunching between 1st and 2nd, especially when cold.

There was a fix issued to replace the selector shaft that cured that. If the car you buy is still in warranty, Mr T will fix it but if you're buying one out of warranty its worth checking the gearchange is OK or that the fix has been done.

The wheelnuts tend to rust on the alloys - just a visual thing - but they can be replaced under warranty too...

The velcro pulls off the rear parcel shelf - again a modified part is available under warranty or you can just glue it or stich it back on yourself...

Finally - no one else on the forum seems to have had an issue - but I've had both my steering columns replaced. There was a very slight click around the straight ahead position that I hadn't even noticed, but when it went in for a service, they noticed it and replaced it - and when we took our other Yaris in, they said that needed swapping too - and before we got around to taking that in, they'd already used the column they got for us on another car - so they seem to be going through them at a rate of knots at our garage....

Finally - no one else on the forum seems to have had an issue - but I've had both my steering columns replaced. There was a very slight click around the straight ahead position that I hadn't even noticed, but when it went in for a service, they noticed it and replaced it - and when we took our other Yaris in, they said that needed swapping too - and before we got around to taking that in, they'd already used the column they got for us on another car - so they seem to be going through them at a rate of knots at our garage....

Alfiejts:

Re: above, I keep meaning to ask if you can cast your mind back to a previous recall for the little foam packing (soundproofing) in the seatbelt pretensioner which could catch fire when activated,(the foam was to be removed) at the same time the technicians checked the steering column on our 2007 Yaris and replaced a couple of nylon/plastic spacers/washers, I wonder if that was anything to do with what you've had done to both your cars in the sense that a potential fault was developing in some vehicles and that Toyota decided to replace the nylon spacers on all Yarii that came in for service or recall work, just a thought, I wonder if Parts King can shed any light on the subject?

"The wheelnuts tend to rust on the alloys -"

Yes, after less than three months from new on mine! :censor: I thought I was hallucinating when I saw them.

Why can't they just use non chromed nuts with plastic covers over them?

Hi to all, I will have a good look around my local Toyota dealers and see what deals they have.

Thanks again everyone ..... Pete.

When you've checked your local dealer - don't forget to have a look online at the used cars on Toyota.co.uk to see what other dealers are selling.

When we were looking to get our second SR, the prices between different Toyota dealers varied by up to £1000 for cars of the same age and spec. I think sometimes some dealers just decide that they have to reduce a price to move the stock on...

Very good advice.

Also, check on eBay!

Found my actual car on eBay sold by the dealer for £500 less than I haggled it down to a month after I bought it! :ffs: :lol:

(It was obviously closed by then, but the old buy-it-now price was there!)

Was a bit miffed; Just drives home the fact that the dealers will lie to your face about their profit margins when you're haggling with them!

I had thought we'd done pretty well too until I saw that!

When you've checked your local dealer - don't forget to have a look online at the used cars on Toyota.co.uk to see what other dealers are selling.

When we were looking to get our second SR, the prices between different Toyota dealers varied by up to £1000 for cars of the same age and spec. I think sometimes some dealers just decide that they have to reduce a price to move the stock on...

Too true! - we travelled 50 miles south to a Toyota dealer in Stockton and saved £1000 on the prices in our region. Shop around!

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of what to watch out for - nothing major...

A few little glitches..

The 2008 1.3 model had an issue with its gearbox selector shaft - crunching between 1st and 2nd, especially when cold.

There was a fix issued to replace the selector shaft that cured that. If the car you buy is still in warranty, Mr T will fix it but if you're buying one out of warranty its worth checking the gearchange is OK or that the fix has been done.

The wheelnuts tend to rust on the alloys - just a visual thing - but they can be replaced under warranty too...

The velcro pulls off the rear parcel shelf - again a modified part is available under warranty or you can just glue it or stich it back on yourself...

Hello again, thanks for all the info I had a test drive in a Jan 2009 reg'd Yaris1.3 sr nav today and quite impressed (the brakes a lot better than my Avensis) it only has 2500 miles on the clock and the price is £8k. We are not in a rush to buy one but it seems a bargin, I don't know whether to wait for a nice1.33 sr or just go with this 1.3 sr nav, the 1.33 is a lot less road tax and better mpg but I suppose it will cost another grand.

What do you think ..... 1.3 or 1.33?:unsure:

EDIT:- Bought the 1.3 sr nav in Decuma grey .... my wife loves it :yahoo:(That's the wife) this is me paying for it :crybaby:.

Pete.

I have a 2007 1.4D and prefer it over the 1.3 petrol unit which i test drove, mainly due to torque and mpg.

It always sits at an average of +/- 50mpg on country road and increases by at least 10-15mpg more on a motorway.

It has a bit of clatter noise at high revs but overall i really like it.

I have a zinc model line.

I am considering buying a Yaris for my wife, lets say a 5 door 2008 model onwards. I would like to know which the best one to go for petrol or diesel, we would be looking for reliability and economy.

What are the main points to look out for in these cars when buying secondhand other than FSH, are they as good as I am led to believe?

Thanks in advance, Pete.

I would not bother, the car will loose a fortune over 12 months

Thanks in advance, Pete.

Hello.

what do you mean by that? I expect all cars will loose money each year .... but why does a 2008 Yaris loose a fortune, it's all a bit late now because i've bought her a 2009 1.3vvti SR nav :unsure:, I would still be interested in your reply though.

Pete.

Thanks in advance, Pete.

Your only stating a car buying fact as everyone knows you lose money on buying a car. In it's first two years of ownership it depreciates the most, then things start to slow down after that. The purchase of the OP's 2008 model is probably around the best time to purchase, if you're not into taking the hit on new ownership.

To answer the OP's question, go for it. My wife loves hers to bits. It's the only car she's had that she raves over and likes to drive. We got a 1.3 and for her it's nippy and economical. Before that we had a 1.0 mk1, and while it was a good little car it just lacked a bit of oomph.

The poster who wrote that previously complained comparing the new price to a one year old trade in price . Anyone who knows anything about car buying knows that buying a car new and selling after a year is for those with lots of money or little sense. Any new car sold after 12 months ownership - especially high mileage ownership - is a sure fire way to lose money especially if you trade it in.

I think your looking at the wrong car if you dont want to lose too much money, loosing money on car is the nature of the beast.

I would recommend the 2007 1.3 SR as the best all-round Yaris. It does not have the larger alloys or lowered suspension of the 2008 model but it does have keyless start and auto climate control rather than manual air con, these are a lot more useful and functional than the alloys and springs...but then it depends what you're looking for. I used to have a 1.3 SR before I bought the 1.8.

Glad your wife loves her 1.3 Nav in Decuma Grey. As you may tell from my signature, that's our choice too....

Let us know how it gets on.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links