Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg

harrypotter:)

An interesting link to the difference between supermarket fuels and major brand fuels, as found by Auto Express magazine. They seem to think there is little, if any difference between any brand? Personally I normally fill up at main brand filling stations, as I don't want to lose any more in my area to the supermarkets. However I don't panic unduly if I have to fill up at the supermarket. IMHO the reason fuel is cheaper at supermarkets, is exactly the same reason a tin of beans are cheaper than at your local corner shop, MASSIVE BUYING POWER. Tesco's is taking over the world :crybaby:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan&tone

• Duce D

• benwiddowson

• WAYNEOLEEDS

Hi everyone I'm new to this owner club thing would like to know what it's all about. :)

Hi Fritches, this is the forum for anything Aygo related. On it you will also find details about C1's and 107's as they're basically the same vehicle. There's always someone willing to help answer most questions and a quick search first before posting a question often reveals it's already been answered. Enjoy your Aygo :thumbsup:

Yes this is true, but fuel economy is equally influenced if not more so, by the type of driving you do. The person who has a commute along decently flowing A roads, averaging 45-60mph will alway get better fuel economy than the person who crawls in nose to tail traffic, no matter how economically the town driver tries to drive. There will always be folk who get better fuel mileage because of the nature of their driving.

That's what i meant. The more you use the A and B pedals the more fuel you will use.

I will also continue to fill up at supermarkets (as they are the only convenient stations near to where I work and where I live) and will let you know when my engine catastrophically fails from using this poor grade of fuel!

Just out of interest if the BS standards are a minimum, does this mean that the engine manufacturers are purposefully building and designing engines to not work with this BS standard? seems a little silly if you ask me, but then i suppose they can make more by selling more cars to replace the ones with broken engines.

I've used supermarket fuel for nearly 20 years with no problems to the engine.

Minimum use of the brake and accelerator is the key to good MPG

We don't have any problems with supermarket fuels. My wife buys petrol there every time.

For my car I buy only better ones from BP and Shell. No reason, it just makes me feel better lol

I only go for Shell regularly because I'm a member of their Drivers' Club Scheme - a bit like a Nectar Card or a Boots Advantage Card but a slightly rubbish version. For example last year, I filled up with Shell EVERY TIME (once every 10 days or so) and they "reward" me, after all of that, with £3.00 off my next fill-up. Not being funny but that's absolutely appalling. So I don't think I'll be quite so loyal to Shell now if that's the level of their loyalty bonuses. I've used supermarkets before and they seem fine to me as well. In contrast, Shell's FuelSave doesn't seem to have benefitted my fuel economy in any great way, but I know we've had a massive debate on that previously.

yes i got the STANDARD 3.00 off..

i dont know anyone thats had anything more than that..

shame really when we pay so much for fuel these days

Yeah, you're better off selecting the charity options :lol:

I only visit my local Shell maybe 6 times a year for my Yaris' V-Power 'treat' :lol: and you don't even get any extra points for buying V-Power unless you use some ridiculous amount in a month! I reckon it'd take me 2-3 years to get enough points to qualify for any vouchers :lol:

There is a facility to have your Shell points converted automatically to Air Miles, if you collect them. Again the collection rate is not great, but it is better than nothing.

If you are after points then BP is a better choice. Recently I've been buying petrol at BP most of the time. My local Shell upset me a bit when they asked me to remove my helmet when I was buying petrol a few months ago. I haven't bought from them ever since, but I buy from other Shell places, not as often as before. BP is closer.

It also makes my wife happy as she likes spending those nectar points. So me buying petrol at BP and her buying it at Sainsbury's seems like a natural choice for both of us.

Yes this is true, but fuel economy is equally influenced if not more so, by the type of driving you do. The person who has a commute along decently flowing A roads, averaging 45-60mph will alway get better fuel economy than the person who crawls in nose to tail traffic, no matter how economically the town driver tries to drive. There will always be folk who get better fuel mileage because of the nature of their driving.

That's what i meant. The more you use the A and B pedals the more fuel you will use.

I will also continue to fill up at supermarkets (as they are the only convenient stations near to where I work and where I live) and will let you know when my engine catastrophically fails from using this poor grade of fuel!

Just out of interest if the BS standards are a minimum, does this mean that the engine manufacturers are purposefully building and designing engines to not work with this BS standard? seems a little silly if you ask me, but then i suppose they can make more by selling more cars to replace the ones with broken engines.

I agree entirely. I always achieve greater than 60mpg, but then I am retired and can afford to perhaps drive more economically but I don't hold up traffic, Oh no! For example bigger cars always want to overtake me because I drive a little Aygo usually when I approach a roundabout on a dual carriageway they accelerate in the overtaking lane and pass me just as we are aproaching the roundabout then they slam the brakes on, practically coming to a complete stop, meanwhile I glide through ( this is a large rural roundabout with excellent visibility) not even having touched the brake but merely coasted up checking that its clear then slight acceleration to gain speed. Now the big car is really annoyed and Oh boy is he going to pass me now. Often a diesel he passes in a great cloud of black smoke. I close my vent to recirc and watch him disappear in the distance as he exceeds the speed limit.Ah well..............

BP is too expensive here; For the price of standard BP diesel I can get Shell V-Power diesel!!! :eek:

I agree entirely. I always achieve greater than 60mpg, but then I am retired and can afford to perhaps drive more economically but I don't hold up traffic, Oh no! For example bigger cars always want to overtake me because I drive a little Aygo usually when I approach a roundabout on a dual carriageway they accelerate in the overtaking lane and pass me just as we are aproaching the roundabout then they slam the brakes on, practically coming to a complete stop, meanwhile I glide through ( this is a large rural roundabout with excellent visibility) not even having touched the brake but merely coasted up checking that its clear then slight acceleration to gain speed. Now the big car is really annoyed and Oh boy is he going to pass me now. Often a diesel he passes in a great cloud of black smoke. I close my vent to recirc and watch him disappear in the distance as he exceeds the speed limit.Ah well..............

I do that at junctions :D

It still puts me in smug mode when people burn past me on the A10 then slam on the anchors at the next lights, only for the lights to change and me and my ickle diesel Yaris fly past at 30mph because nobody else is in the left lane and I got the timing just right :yahoo:

BP is too expensive here; For the price of standard BP diesel I can get Shell V-Power diesel!!! :eek:

I do that at junctions :D

It still puts me in smug mode when people burn past me on the A10 then slam on the anchors at the next lights, only for the lights to change and me and my ickle diesel Yaris fly past at 30mph because nobody else is in the left lane and I got the timing just right :yahoo:

That's what driving properly and economically is all about, being in the right place, in the right gear, at the right time and ready to go because you have seen what is going on and you have been paying attention...

In the IAM, we call it "IPSGA" Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Accelleration.... It works too!

It proves that speed merchants don't always get there first....

Just as an aside, does anyone know what pills BMW drivers take to give them immunity to speed limits, or do they pay for immunity when they buy their cars?

Just as an aside, does anyone know what pills BMW drivers take to give them immunity to speed limits, or do they pay for immunity when they buy their cars?

No no no! It's not pills, they get the speed limit immunity when they turn their front fog lights on even when it is a crystal clear mid summers day! It apparently works with Audis & Mercs as well!

No no no! It's not pills, they get the speed limit immunity when they turn their front fog lights on even when it is a crystal clear mid summers day! It apparently works with Audis & Mercs as well!

Ahh, so now I know :thumbsup:

Hey!!! We have a BMW 3 series and an aygo! BMW drivers aren't as bad anymore . That's Audi drivers your referring to! :)

Hahaha, I was gonna say the same thing!

Audis are the new BMW :lol:

A BMW driver actually backed off and let me in when I was signalling to get into the right lane a few weeks back. I was so shocked! :eek::lol:

Hey!!! We have a BMW 3 series and an aygo! BMW drivers aren't as bad anymore . That's Audi drivers your referring to! :)

Lol, you're forgiven 'cos you've got an Aygo.... But I wouldn't mind betting you drive the 3 differently to the Aygo.... :thumbsup:

Lol, you're forgiven 'cos you've got an Aygo.... But I wouldn't mind betting you drive the 3 differently to the Aygo.... :thumbsup:

ummmmm ..... no ? :!Removed!:

Lol,so you don't scoot around in the Aygo and behave like a little old lady in the 3 then??? :yawn:

Lol,so you don't scoot around in the Aygo and behave like a little old lady in the 3 then??? :yawn:

no I get my aygo on friday so the seat is getting a bashing at the moment.

nah my 3 series is my little baby.. it gets loved by everyone. and expects all road users to move out of the way when im coming past :) oops sound like an audi driver :)

How long does the last bar of fuel (when it flashes get you)?

Not long!!! when it flashed get fuel!! i was on the flash for a little while, drove i'm not sure maybe 20 miles? probbably less but on the way to the petrol station i ran out! luckily i managed to coast it into the petrol station, i learned my lesson though :)

Hey I saw a BMW today drive into a disability spot in the supermarket car park. Now that's not unusual in itself but do you know what............. A disabled person came out of it!!