Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verso 2.2D - Performance Problems

Paul Watson

Hi - for the last few weeks my 3 year old Verso 2.2D has been playing up intermittently. In the morning I usually travel up to 35mph until reaching either a motorway or dual carriageway. So far so good. As soon as I try and accelerate though I get to around 50mph and then the engine gets all sluggish on me and refuses to accelerate any further. As you can imagine, this is very dangerous and overtaking is out of the question. This only ever happens in the morning (or the first trip of the day) and once it clears itself (after up to an hour) things are fine. It doesn't happen every day, probably about two or three times per week.

My Toyota main dealer has replaced the EGR valve and I thought this had fixed it as I had no problem for around a week. It has restarted now though.

My dealer took the car in for a day but couldn't reproduce the fault on a road test and they say the fault panels are not showing anything either.

They now have it again and kept it over-night but still no fault codes or problems that they can see. They are going to keep it for a further day but I am not very hopeful that the problem will happen whilst the car is with them!

Has anybody else had a similar experience? My dealer says that my car is the third Verso he has heard of that has shown similar symptoms but that so far Toyota had not been able to diagnose any of them. Hardly encouraging news for me!

Thanks for reading :-)

Turbo problems ?

I'll mention it to the dealer. Shouldn't they be checking that anyway though?

In a similar thread on this forum somebody mentioned a suction valve. Not sure what one of those is but I'll query that as well.

My Verso 2.2D-4D has exactly the same issues when I have my foot flat on the accelerator around 50mph the power cuts off and becomes "jerky" OR fails to go any faster. However if I drive normally there appears to be no issue. Did you find a fix for this?

Having had an Auris I know this is a fault or a blockage or something.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I am experiencing EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM, and my local Toyota garage fails to acknowledge the problem! I took one of their test drivers out in my car. I could feel the car not wanting to accelerate linearly and being hesitant from 50 to 60 mph when putting the accelerator flat down, but the test driver failed to notice this or acknowledge it. Their resolution was to wait until the Area Manager comes in and then take the car out again for a test drive with them.

What I have noticed is that the issue seems to occur more when the car is cold. Yesterday at about 8.15am, I was accelerating onto the M40 on a slip road going about 50mph in 3rd gear, and with the accelerator almost flat down, and the car was hesitating to pick up speed. My 10 year old daughter in the car also noticed it. I am at my wits end. The car was fine before the service. It had a service and now the problem occurs. The garage said they fixed the a loose air intake. I wonder if they caused an issue by doing this?

Any ideas? I notice other postings of a similar nature:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94364

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115134

Regards,

Ricky.

How many miles have you done?

Has the EGR been off to see if its clogged?

Has it ever had a turbo, injectors or the cat replaced? They would be the place i would start.

Any sign of the head gasket issues, i.e mayo on the oil cap or other white residue on the engine cover? Any coolant loss or white smoke?

• 1 year later...

Ok an update on this. For the past year or so I had been driving this car like an idiot and had it serviced a couple of times and there is no sign of these issues. I presume something was getting bloked be it a filter that got changed during service or becuase I had been pushing the car very hard and it cleared something.

But the issues are all gone now!

• 1 month later...

Ok an update on this. For the past year or so I had been driving this car like an idiot and had it serviced a couple of times and there is no sign of these issues. I presume something was getting bloked be it a filter that got changed during service or becuase I had been pushing the car very hard and it cleared something.

But the issues are all gone now!

Our old Verso produced this no power issue and shaking back in Mar 12 so i thought it a good time to swap her. It was due for a 80k service at the time, i wonder if it was the fuel filter that was full of water or clogged, i will never know. Has your's had a fuel filter out of curiosity?