Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interior Light Delay Unit

AYGOgummy

Okay so I ordered an interior light delay unit from CityBug store, and it came today. However, there are no connections on the end of the wires, and I don't know what connections to buy! From looking around the net, there seem to be a variety of things that people are using, to connect the black/red wires of the unit, to the wires already existing in the interior light. I've been to Halfords to buy some Spade connectors (this is what the chap recommended), but after looking back at the net, I can't see that these are going to work.

The CityBug website just says "buy some crimps", and I said this to the guy in Halfords but he pointed me towards these spade connectors. Can anybody help me please!! Thank you :)

This is how I fitted mine (without using any crimp connectors...)

Remove interior light (slide flat-screwdriver into recess on RHS and lever away from roof-lining)

Remove the green plug from the lamp assembly (Use a screwdriver to depress the green-tab protruding through the cut-out and pull the green plug away)

Remove the yellow plastic cover from the green plug (lift each side away from the plug and push-off each side in turn)

Remove the RED wires square crimp-terminal from the plug (note it's orientation). To do this, locate the tiny green-plastic retaining clip which was previously under the yellow cover, and gently lift using a flat bladed screwdriver whilst tugging on the red wire and the wire/crimp connector should slide out of the plug.

Strip approximately 6-7mm of the interior light delay's red wire, twist, and then insert the stripped portion into the square cut-out on the front-edge of the red wires square metal terminal so that the stripped portion of the wire overlaps the ridge where the terminal changes from square to crimp.

Carefully align both the original lamp-unit red wire and the delay-unit red wire, and then push the square metal terminal back into the green plug. It will be a (very) snug fit, but with a little use of a finger-nail or flat-bladed screwdriver the new red delay-units PVC insulation should fit into the plug completely.

What you've done is to clamp the stripped portion of the new wire against the terminal, and you should be able to to see the new stripped portion of wire through the side of the green-plug.

Repeat the process fro the black/white wire, this time adding the delay-unit's black wire to it.

Clip the yellow cover back in place

Reinsert the green-plug into the lamp assembly, check it all works, then secure the delay-unit in place (I taped it to the existing lamp wiring) and replace the lamp assembly in the roof-lining.

The whole job shouldn't take more than five minutes.

I'll upload some photos in a bit which should help explain it a little better!

Okay so I ordered an interior light delay unit from CityBug store, and it came today. However, there are no connections on the end of the wires, and I don't know what connections to buy! From looking around the net, there seem to be a variety of things that people are using, to connect the black/red wires of the unit, to the wires already existing in the interior light. I've been to Halfords to buy some Spade connectors (this is what the chap recommended), but after looking back at the net, I can't see that these are going to work.

The CityBug website just says "buy some crimps", and I said this to the guy in Halfords but he pointed me towards these spade connectors. Can anybody help me please!! Thank you :)

the spade connectors you purchased will be female type connectors so if you have female you need a male connection to fit them too.which i dont think you have on your interior light.

its as you said you need crimp type connectors to splice the the unit wires into the lamp wiring

you can get them in various sizes which are colour coded.red ones (male/female)maybe too small for connecting two wires.that is the lamp wire and unit wire.so suggest using the next size up,the blue ones.buy male and female.

you will need a crimping tool to fit the connectors,to do the job properly.some people use pliers but thats a bit of a bodge job.

the red wire on the unit is the poitive feed on the lamp (live).black wire on the unit is negitive (earth) on the lamp.i dont know the colour of the the wiring is on your lamp so you need some means of testing to confirm.a test lamp would help.

if you never done any wiring on a car before then get someone to show you how or do it for you.

sorry posted this not realising that sjp had already answered.as he has already done this mod then folow his advice.

Remove interior light (slide flat-screwdriver into recess on RHS and lever away from roof-lining)

5390105193_1cf4cc62bd.jpg

Remove the green plug from the lamp assembly (Use a screwdriver to depress the green-tab protruding through the cut-out and pull the green plug away)

5390714034_fd06145761.jpg

Remove the RED wires square crimp-terminal from the plug (note it's orientation). To do this, locate the tiny green-plastic retaining clip which was previously under the yellow cover, and gently lift using a flat bladed screwdriver whilst tugging on the red wire and the wire/crimp connector should slide out of the plug. (The screwdriver is showing the retaining tab which needs to be lifted to release the terminal. You can also see the new wires stripped portion through the opening in the green plug. If you can't, then there won't be a good conenction as the new wire may have pulled-out when reinserting the terminal back into the plug)

5390714264_58d5efc769.jpg

You can also fit the delay unit in the door pillar. You'll need a Torx 30 tool, then remove the door switch.

5390126631_2b6f503974.jpg5390735496_5aa67d31eb.jpg

You can then connect the delay-unit to the single red wire (using a ScotchBlok) and use a U or O shaped crimp connector to seat the black wire between the door and the switchplate (around the retaining bolt), but I decided against this as securing the delay-unit in a rattle-free fashion inside the door pillar would have been difficult without dismantling the interior trim.

5390105193_1cf4cc62bd.jpg

5390714034_fd06145761.jpg

Remove the RED wires square crimp-terminal from the plug (note it's orientation). To do this, locate the tiny green-plastic retaining clip which was previously under the yellow cover, and gently lift using a flat bladed screwdriver whilst tugging on the red wire and the wire/crimp connector should slide out of the plug. (The screwdriver is showing the retaining tab which needs to be lifted to release the terminal. You can also see the new wires stripped portion through the opening in the green plug. If you can't, then there won't be a good conenction as the new wire may have pulled-out when reinserting the terminal back into the plug)

5390714264_58d5efc769.jpg

You can also fit the delay unit in the door pillar. You'll need a Torx 30 tool, then remove the door switch.

5390126631_2b6f503974.jpg5390735496_5aa67d31eb.jpg

You can then connect the delay-unit to the single red wire (using a ScotchBlok) and use a U or O shaped crimp connector to seat the black wire between the door and the switchplate (around the retaining bolt), but I decided against this as securing the delay-unit in a rattle-free fashion inside the door pillar would have been difficult without dismantling the interior trim.

thats what i call advice for someone.brilliant.

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated! We'll see how I get on!...

I managed to fit it today! Did it without any special connectors, just cut and joined the wires, secured with insulation tape etc, and hey presto it's worked! I'm sure I'll notice it in the dark now. Thanks for the tips! :)

• 8 months later...

Hi,

does this device fade the light out or just go off straight away after its delay?

thanks.

Hi,

does this device fade the light out or just go off straight away after its delay?

thanks.

It fades out. Having said that, mine appears to be working slightly intermittently, and it has suddenly stopped working if I try and turn it on manually using the switch! Might get it checked out when it goes in for a service, probably come wiring come loose.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links