Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Ts Speaker Help

TOMS_TSPORT

Good Afternoon All,

Posted this on the Yaris section too... Might get more luck in the I.C.E section :P

I have had my TS for about 3 months now and love it! :thumbsup:

I don't want to change the standard HU because I want to keep the steering wheel controls, so I had a Parrot MK900i installed so that I could use the phone and iPod etc.

Im going to upgrade the front door Speakers and maybe the dash Speakers but I want to amp the door Speakers. (I have a 200w amp spare collecting dust)

My questions are:

Can this be done?

If so will the original speaker wire handle the wattage (100w each), or do I need to upgrade the wiring :unsure: ?

Upgrading door Speakers shouldn't be too difficult. You should however get a proper speaker adapter fitted, or using the old speakers as adapters.

I believe that the existing wires should be sufficient to contain the power. I doubt that you could ever consume 100W of power per door speaker without the door falling off or blood coming from your ears. I have 100W on my 12" subwoofer, and I haven't cranked it up to half yet. I'm afraid it would unbolt the wheels or something.

Anyway, original wires should be left untouched. That will save you from lots of problems later. I bought some ISO plugs that I used for wiring my amp to the original car harness, together with a parrot harness that converted from Toyota to ISO wiring and back again. I used 1,5 mm2 cables for the door Speakers, and 2,5 mm2 for the sub. That's more than enough! Don't bother using more, unless you have installed a nuclear power plant in your boot.

To get a signal to your amp, unless you have high power input on it, you need to get a line converter. Get one with ISO plugs, or attach an ISO plug to it.

Good luck!

hmm ok what I thought I could do was (because the amp has speaker level inputs) locate the wires leading to the door Speakers, cut and connect some more wire and run it to the amp which will be either under the drivers seat or the passenger seat, connect it to the amp and then run the another piece of wire back to the back of the HU (where i connected the extra wire) and then connect that to the other end of the original wire. then that would allow the signal to go from the back of the HU via the amp the the Speakers without having to replace and chase other wires deep inside the bowels of my Yaris.

Will that work?

Why cut the wires when you already have plugs? You said you had installed a parrot kit? In that case you probably have a wiring loom that has ISO plugs. Just undo the speaker plugs, and connect your amp in between. Do this of course AFTER the parrot kit, not before!

Simply buy one pair of male and one pair of female ISO plugs. You get those nearly at any car stereo shop (or ebay). Make a wiring loom that goes from the HU to the amp as a signal source. Use this gender for the source (if i'm not mistaken). Then make a wiring loom for the speaker output that you run back to the parrot wiring loom. Use this gender.

I did exactly this for my amplifier install. I have now a 5 channel amp, with all 4 door Speakers wired through those ISO plugs. No wires were cut, so now I can restore the original HU without any hassle. This of course if I would sell my car later on, or if I get too old for having a sub (which I doubt).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links