Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Electronic Handbrake Failure

smurphy26

Hi all,

I am just trying to guage how many of you out there have experienced a fault with the handbrake releaseing itself.

My car has done this twice now and toyota say that they have not found a fault, however a lad I know who has the same model has had his in the garage with the car roling away from him while the hadbrake was applied. Thankfully he got back in and managed to stop it. Toyota cleaned and reset his handbrake.

When speaking to Toyota re this they said it would come up with a fault code, now excuse my for being synical but there was £2500 worth of damage to my car from both knocks, would they just turn a blind eye and say that they have not found a fault??? I know it is easy for them to clear a code and say no fault found when in fact they could have just cleaned and reset the handbrake (funny I have not had an issue since they checked it).

If you have had a problem could you please let me know, also if there was a fault code registered on the computer.

Toyota told me this morning that this fault has arrisen but is not affecting all cars and a fault code would be logged.

I am still not convinced that there was no fault with my car and am trying to get as much information together to try and get them to accept responsibility.

It is going to be a tough nut to crack but am hoping there will be people out there who have had similar issues.

Cheers for reading.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that.

I had the same concern as a perspective Avensis converter.

But this can happen to all handbrakes, that is why i always leave my car parked in gear no matter the gradient.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks, I understand that the leaving in gear is a belt and braces option but ppl should not have to do this, the handbrake should be designed strong enough to hold the car whatever gradient.

I hope I get it sorted also.

Cheers for your reply :-)

• Like 1

My Avensis is March 2009. I had an electronic handbrake actuator fail a few weeks ago, see post "Electronic Parking Brake - Why?"

It went to the dealers to fit a new actuator, the car was out of warranty, 68k miles.

I asked how much the repair would cost (the car is a leased vehicle) and was told about £1,000 (£675 for the actuator, 2.1/2 hours labour plus VAT.

In my opinion, the electronic handbrake is an expensive solution to a problem that did not exist.

All it means is that when somebody is the 2nd or 3rd owner of an Avensis that is a few years old, a failed parking brake actuator will lead to the car being scrapped due to the high cost of repair.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This week my 5 month old Avensis TR has started suffering handbrake problems. It's making a colossal grinding noise when applied and has let go once when parked in the hotel car park. I always leave the car in gear so I was lucky I guess but I jumped in and popped my foot on the brake and clutch, started it and took my foot off the brake, took it out of gear and took my foot off the clutch to plug my phone into it's dock and with the handbrake showing as applied it started rolling forward out of the parking space towards a very nice Jag XF.

The noise is getting worse, over the last few days, I will apply the handbrake, then shut off the engineleaving it in gear, when I take my foot off the clutch it's like the handbrake is having another bash at things and that's when you get the really bad grinding noise.

Looks like it's back to the dealers for me, this is turning out to be one of the most unreliable cars I have ever owned.

The handbrake issue is bad, BUT it could be worse.

Imagine having a tiny 5mph bump that costs £11,000 :crybaby:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127250-accident-dont-do-what-i-did.html

I've just read the link that you posted on here. What a stupid repair cost for something like that. Although I think the Pedestrian safty system is a great idea. :thumbsup:

Confirmed today that my electronic park brake actuator is faulty, a new one is on order and it's 2.5 hours to fit it.

I would not want to own one outside of a warranty period......... Ouch!

Confirmed today that my electronic park brake actuator is faulty, a new one is on order and it's 2.5 hours to fit it.

I guess this only really applies to Manual transmission, as the Auto/CVT would be placed in P when parked up and locked...

Regards

Rob

I guess this only really applies to Manual transmission, as the Auto/CVT would be placed in P when parked up and locked...

Regards

Rob

It still has the parking brake as far as I am aware though, so could still suffer the problem.

• 1 month later...

Noticed a problem with mine this evening when i parked after work. Parked on a hill and held in foot brake while applying the parking brake. I heard it engage but when i lifted my foot of the brake it disengaged and car started rolling back. I tried a few more times and it seemed to engage and then disengage immediately with the Parking brake light flashing and then going out.

I tried it a few hours later and it seems to have resolved its self. Worrying situation so i will get back to the dealer tomorrow car is only 10 months old

I Had the new actuator fitted under Warranty and all is well so far. The new actuator is 10,000,000% quieter in it's operation and no "Premature release" (ooooeeeeer)in the last 1500 miles. Fingers crossed :)

The bill would have been quite large so there is no way I am hanging onto mine when the warranty is nearing expiration in a couple of years.

I met a guy in Scotland a few weeks ago who has had 2 actuators fail on his TR Estate, this could perhaps be more widespread than Toyota is letting on at the moment?

I Had the new actuator fitted under Warranty and all is well so far. The new actuator is 10,000,000% quieter in it's operation and no "Premature release" (ooooeeeeer)in the last 1500 miles. Fingers crossed :)

The bill would have been quite large so there is no way I am hanging onto mine when the warranty is nearing expiration in a couple of years.

I met a guy in Scotland a few weeks ago who has had 2 actuators fail on his TR Estate, this could perhaps be more widespread than Toyota is letting on at the moment?

This was actually a large reason into why i never went with an Avensis in the end, or any car that has electric handbrake for that matter (i.e Passat).

Good luck with yours.

This was actually a large reason into why i never went with an Avensis in the end, or any car that has electric handbrake for that matter (i.e Passat).

Good luck with yours.

I too was going to buy a new avensis for the roomy load space on the tourer but the lekky handbrake put me totally off, i would like to have the simple manual type on any future vehicle i think of buying, for the past 10 years i have bought new from toyota, but due to the handbrake i feel i may change dealers on my next purchase.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am just trying to guage how many of you out there have experienced a fault with the handbrake releaseing itself.

My car has done this twice now and toyota say that they have not found a fault, however a lad I know who has the same model has had his in the garage with the car roling away from him while the hadbrake was applied. Thankfully he got back in and managed to stop it. Toyota cleaned and reset his handbrake.

When speaking to Toyota re this they said it would come up with a fault code, now excuse my for being synical but there was £2500 worth of damage to my car from both knocks, would they just turn a blind eye and say that they have not found a fault??? I know it is easy for them to clear a code and say no fault found when in fact they could have just cleaned and reset the handbrake (funny I have not had an issue since they checked it).

If you have had a problem could you please let me know, also if there was a fault code registered on the computer.

Toyota told me this morning that this fault has arrisen but is not affecting all cars and a fault code would be logged.

I am still not convinced that there was no fault with my car and am trying to get as much information together to try and get them to accept responsibility.

It is going to be a tough nut to crack but am hoping there will be people out there who have had similar issues.

Cheers for reading.

First of all i am surprised to know that Toyota denied of the problem.I have heard Toyota gave a good response to customers need. The handbrake problem is present in few vehicles. Toyota can't deny that they have never had such complaints. I have heard plenty of such Handbrake issues. Its dangerous and need to be given attention.

I heard the passat has 10 times more problems with their hand brake.............

• 2 years later...

Hi all add me to the list of problems !!!!!! My hand brake is faulty. priced up a new one £ 937 plus vat. plus 2-3 hours labour. the car has 70500 miles I have sourced a second hand one £250. you can see which way i'm going. and as for Toyotas being good forget it give me my old Skoda back lol and thats on joke. Cheers Lads

Yes, Auris Tourer I looked at on launch was a manual one, also tested an Auris Hybrid recently at that was manual too. Having had mine replaced last year under warranty will likely look to replace car before warranty period ends.

The auris tourer looks a nice car, only let down in my opinion by a poor choice of engines.

The 1.4 litre diesel for long motorway runs looks seriously lacking in torque. Why can't they put the 2 litre D4D engine into the car?

Today, I was driving on a dual carriageway in lane 2, in front of me was a prius approaching a lorry in lane 1, I saw the prius was going to have to brake so I flashed him to pull out at about 60 mph indicated on the speedo (about 55mph in reality), his acceleration was underwhelming, he crawled past the lorry he was overtaking & than pulled back in, I simply tickled my Avensis 2 litre D4D throttle and flew past the prius, that reminds me why I decided on another avensis after test driving a prius plug in!

According to a Toyota Salesman I spoke to a while back Toyota are likely to get out of the diesel market for their passenger cars. They are concentrating on their Hybrids more and more. With the next generation of EU emissions coming soon most diesel manufacturers are struggling to get their emissions down hence a lot of smaller engined turbo petrol engines appearing of late.

Personally I am not a fan of diesels but can't say I would want a small turbo petrol either. It's another over complicated expensive gadget to add to the electronic handbrake list of things to go wrong.

• Like 1

I have read that many manufacturers are worried about making diesels compliant for Euro VII & beyond.

In the US, Consumer Reports (their equivalent of Which?) just showed Ford Ecoboost (small capacity turbo petrols) to be less reliable “In every example where there is a non-EcoBoost engine, the models with the EcoBoost engines tend to have worse reliability than the ones that don’t have those engines,”

• Like 1

Turbos are a lazy mans way to add power. Cleverly designed variable timing is the one of the ways forward.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

ELECTONIC HANDBRAKE FAILURE Hi I am a new member only having a new Avensis tourer 2 weeks and the elctronic handbrake has just failed causing my car at least £2-£3,000 pounds of damage111 What the !!!! is going on I want to pursue a claim from Toyota so please contact me anyone who this has happened to my insurance company seems also interested. John PS Not fault codes appeared prior to the failure pps anyone contacted Watchdog

Did you buy the car privately or through a dealer? if a dealer take it back and get it fixed by them.

Alex

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links