Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Racist Posts

cfc1

It has become apparent that racism has made an appearance on this forum, I wish to take this oppertunity to remind each and every member that this will not be tolerated and anyone found to be posting racist material will be banned from the site without hesitation. This includes jokes, pictures and any other material deemed to be of a racist nature.

One member has already been banned, so please think and read through your post before hitting the submit button. If you find any material on the forums you think is racist please use the "report" button to bring it to our attention.

Thanks

cfc1.

Quite right.

Although I do have a slight problem with sexist stuff too.

Generally its trying to keep things fair and equal. Apart from those in Surrey ( :shutit: )

Quite right.

Although I do have a slight problem with sexist stuff too.

Generally its trying to keep things fair and equal. Apart from those in Surrey ( :shutit: )

Who needs no help from the lower races.... :D

This is interesting and I am wondering if a slight touch of paranoia could be setting in. Whilst racism should be stamped out I am of the opinion that one person’s racism is another person’s banter.

Bothy and me had a nice little wind up together just couple of weeks back. He is Scottish and I am English and we are both very patriotic, the exchange was good tempered banter but if read out of context then it could have been deemed as racism. A good deal of the time words have to be read in the context they are meant and that is why I try to use the board emoticons as much as I can in order to convey the context. Can nationalism be racist, maybe it can! If it is then are the Welsh and Scottish racists given that they have their own nationalist political parties? If the English had their own nationalist party would they be racist? You bet they would but should they be regarded as such? No of course not providing the nationalism is conveyed in the correct way! Are there double standards or what? See, racism can be viewed two ways or more.... it all depends on the context in which the words are conveyed.

Now I don’t know who has been banned or why they have been banned but I am concerned that maybe they should not have been as often such an action can be a knee jerk reaction. I express this from the position that I do not know the circumstances so I hope that one of the mods or an admin member could enlighten me as to what happened.

Guys, if I deem that paranoia is creeping into TOC then frankly I will not bother to frequent this forum as I am fed up with too much political correctness in this feeble world we now appear to be living in. Again, I wish to confirm that I dislike racism but please read the way words are delivered and do not take banter out of context.

This is interesting and I am wondering if a slight touch of paranoia could be setting in. Whilst racism should be stamped out I am of the opinion that one person's racism is another person's banter.

Bothy and me had a nice little wind up together just couple of weeks back. He is Scottish and I am English and we are both very patriotic, the exchange was good tempered banter but if read out of context then it could have been deemed as racism. A good deal of the time words have to be read in the context they are meant and that is why I try to use the board emoticons as much as I can in order to convey the context. Can nationalism be racist, maybe it can! If it is then are the Welsh and Scottish racists given that they have their own nationalist political parties? If the English had their own nationalist party would they be racist? You bet they would but should they be regarded as such? No of course not providing the nationalism is conveyed in the correct way! Are there double standards or what? See, racism can be viewed two ways or more.... it all depends on the context in which the words are conveyed.

Now I don't know who has been banned or why they have been banned but I am concerned that maybe they should not have been as often such an action can be a knee ***** reaction. I express this from the position that I do not know the circumstances so I hope that one of the mods or an admin member could enlighten me as to what happened.

Guys, if I deem that paranoia is creeping into TOC then frankly I will not bother to frequent this forum as I am fed up with too much political correctness in this feeble world we now appear to be living in. Again, I wish to confirm that I dislike racism but please read the way words are delivered and do not take banter out of context.

Well put Phoenix999, words can and do get taken in the wrong context, but all mostly in fun we gone too far here in britian about the robinson jam gollywog and the wendy house issues.

I used to be paranoid, but now I know they're out to get me :thumbsup:

Seriously, i did read the post before it was deleted and frankly I can't even remember what it was about!

Having said that your post is pretty good phoenix, it is very difficult to convey in text what is easy to convey face to face which is why we should be very careful what we say....

.... it is very difficult to convey in text what is easy to convey face to face which is why we should be very careful what we say....

I agree with you completely :thumbsup:

I would like to think that at my age I am quite capable of telling the difference between racism and banter, being from Scotland and supporting Celtic football club I am more than able to tell the difference between sectarianism and banter, racism is pretty much the same thing as sectarianism and banter is simply banter.

The member who was banned posted a racist joke, he/she knew it was racist as he/she tried to disguise the racism by changeing certain words, this stupid act highlighted the racism even more and if anything made it worse by bringing religion into it, so essentially we had racism and sectarianism in the one sentence.

My decision to ban this member wasn't taken lightly, I asked for the opinions of other moderators in the mod section, I also asked the opinions of a couple of offline friends who I thought may have been offended by the nature of what was posted.. the decision was unanimous, people of different backgrounds all felt the same way, a ban was the regretable outcome.

If this is wrong then I for one would want nothing more to do with TOC, I've been a member here for many years, I visit every day and recently there has been a spate of racist posts, (some you may have seen, others you wouldn't have seen) TOC never used to be like that and I hope it never becomes a place where I would be embarrased to represent.

Davey.... please do not think that I am suggesting that you made a wrong call on this issue, I cannot suggest such a thing as I did not read the post concerned. What I am putting forward is a point of view and I hope that it is accepted.

I have been a moderator on a car forum and it is a task that can be difficult as the easiest of times and I would not have liked to have been in your position :huh:

Steve, I havn't taken that view, but since that point of view was brought up (I agree, both sides need to be looked at) I thought I would post the reassurance.

The moderating team we have are very good at what they do, we have a mixed bunch from various backgrounds, we even have close friends (forum members) who we can also PM and ask for opinions on certain matters. Moderators get picked with this in mind. So everyone can rest assured that every avenue gets looked at before such decision is made. In this case it was felt that the very thin line between "banter" and racism/sectarianism was crossed, whether or not it was deliberate or not is, unfortunately, irrelevent in this case.

In this day and age people really need to think before they post, look at how others will perseve what they have writen and act accordingly, the times we live in have changed considerably in recent times and as such so has the way we must express ourselves, if we don't then we have to take the consequencies of our actions. This is not just on public forums, but in every day life aswell. If we fly with the crows, we get shot with the crows.

I have to agree with you Steve, too true.

I haven't seen any of it as I am no longer here on such a regular basis, a small part of that is due to the political correctness.

And Steve what the hell happened to your Rover!?!!? I just saw your sig....

I agree with the points put forward here... but there is a point when the line is crossed between playful banter and blatant racism.

I've seen the post.... it wasn't banter in the slightest so i fully agree with the decision to remove the post, and member, from TOC.

Davey and Gaz.... thanks for the info :thumbsup:

KPJ.... my Rover was sold because an offer that was too good to refuse was made :yes:

I agree with the points put forward here... but there is a point when the line is crossed between playful banter and blatant racism.

I've seen the post.... it wasn't banter in the slightest so i fully agree with the decision to remove the post, and member, from TOC.

Well, having seen the post I think Davey was correct in his actions, I'm all for fun and banter as you know but this was not borderline but out and out racism.... Unacceptable :censor:

Davey and Gaz.... thanks for the info :thumbsup:

KPJ.... my Rover was sold because an offer that was too good to refuse was made :yes:

Fair enough mate. :( I would struggle to allow that to happen with the GTi :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I saw most posts on this site but that one passed me by :rolleyes:

Quiet Jock, get back down the chippy eating anything you can possible batter and Drinking tenants extra strong! :P

sassenach! :rolleyes:

Quiet Jock, get back down the chippy eating anything you can possible batter and Drinking tenants extra strong! :P

sassenach! :rolleyes:

Thats what I like.... good old TOC racist banter :thumbsup:

Bloody northerns :censor: ;)

Thats what I like to see, Racist remarks by a mod on a posting about not being racist, You can't write this stuff.... :yahoo:

I thought I saw most posts on this site but that one passed me by :rolleyes:

hi kingo

dont worry it was not about you.

Thats what I like to see, Racist remarks by a mod on a posting about not being racist, You can't write this stuff.... :yahoo:

Sassenach is a word used chiefly by the Scots to designate an Englishman. It derives from the Scottish Gealic Sasunnach meaning, originally, "saxon", from the Latin "saxones"; it was also formerly applied by Highlanders to (non-Gaelic-speaking) Lowlanders. As employed by Scots or Scottish English-speakers today it is usually used in jest, as a (friendly) term of abuse.

Not racist at all.. merely the use of an adjective which points out (Dsignates ;) ), in this particular use of the word... an English person in a crowd of non English people.

The diiference between racism and (friendly) banter ;)... oh!.. and I could write better lol.

;)... oh!.. and I could write better lol.

Nice retort Davy :lol:

Racism

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Origin: 1865–70 < French - racisme.