Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Woeful On Motorway.

Badgers

I hear what you are saying, I to achieve decent fuel economy driving at 50mph.

However driving at 50mph is not really feasable for a 450 mile journey. It's 2.5hrs longer than driving at 70mph.

However driving at 50mph is not really feasable for a 450 mile journey. It's 2.5hrs longer than driving at 70mph.

If you are referring to my dual carriageway test, in simplest form, at 70mph if i remember rightly, the T180 sits at around 2k - 2.2k and according to my test that should give around 46mpg.

My test includes a big uphill stint plus 2 roundabouts, stop and starts. It's a fairly mixed, fair test.

Get a Yaris! :D *ducks*

Not big enough for my needs. Even the Auris is a little tight.

If you are referring to my dual carriageway test, in simplest form, at 70mph if i remember rightly, the T180 sits at around 2k - 2.2k and according to my test that should give around 46mpg.

My test includes a big uphill stint plus 2 roundabouts, stop and starts. It's a fairly mixed, fair test.

Yeah, on the motorway it's around 2k-2.2k. I'm getting around 250mls to a tank at that speed, which is unacceptable.

I don't really see what I can doing that different, cruising at 70mph, to be getting 15mpg less than somebody else.

Check the engine oil, could be overfilled. Toyota overfilled mine and I was losing 5 mpg. Dropped the oil level (didn't drain & replace) and it went up to 47mpg.

I'm very wary of my MPG readings, I pray they aren't what they say they are LOL.

I've just been through a tank of V-Power Diesel, mixed urban (8 miles of 30 & 40 mph, ample stopping) and mway driving (no more than 170 miles), and with about 15 miles range left I had covered 399.5 miles. I'll admit that getting near the end of the tank I'd booted it a little so I'm fairly happy.

I was happy to see it near the 400 mark but I'd been driving the urban stuff really carfully.

23000 miles, EGR valve cleaned, normally run on V-Power, tires inflated (big difference). I'm considering a fuel treatment in the next tank full.

I did an experiment today, driving the 40mls or so to work over B roads.

I got stuck behind a small lorry, just followed that, rarely going above 50mph over a B road. Lots of gear changes, however I was returning 50mpg.

It got me thinking. So on the way home tonight, I came via a dual carraigeway, I drove approx 10mls @50, 10mls @60 and 10mls @70, purely using the trip computer as a guide (as I know this is accurate to within 5%)

Anyway

50mph - 47mpg

60mph - 34mpg

70mph - 29mpg

Almost a 30% drop off in economy between 50mph and 60mph and well, 40% drop between 50 and 70mph. 50mph is completely impractical to drive down a motorway. You really need to be doing 70mph on the 400mile+ trips.

• Like 1

I feel your pain, but not as harsh. I drove 300 miles to Durham earlier this week and at a little over 70mph (speedo is out, was 70mph on the GPS) in the middle and right lanes following the BMWs (no cruise control sucks!) and I managed 46mpg, hell I got more than that in the Megane! Did the return trip at 65mph and returned 57mpg. Why are the diesels so inefficient at higher speeds?!

I know my case is no where near as severe as yours (i dont have the 180) but I think their may be something with the Toyota diesels being overly sensitive on the throttle.

p.s. I have a chip fitted and have it set to economy on longer drives, giving around 5 mpg increase when i used to drive without it - maybe a similar mod would help your car?

It's the drag co-efficient of the Auris. It's a heavy and aerodynamically unfriendly thing. It sits quite high and has a high roof line so at higher speeds wind resistance is much greater. More resistance means more fuel required.

However, Badgers 29mpg is just mind boggling.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.

Where do I start.

Took the car for it's 40k service, which cost a bomb, and Toyota claim they got 48mpg out the car. I've did 197mls since Wednesday, driving the car uber carefully, driving a little slower to work, leaving 5 minutes early. Being very cautious, I've did that 197mls with 25.6L of fuel, so that equates to around 34.5mpg. I physically can't drive the car any more carefully than I am, and I really don't want a car that I have to really think about how I'm driving as it affects the fuel economy so drastically. It's a chore having to think about every single little thing I'm doing, it's no joy at all. I don't need to think about how I drive my parents car, and still get very good MPG figures. I've no idea what Toyota can be doing so drastically different to what I'm doing to get 13mpg more.

That aside, since I bought the car back in June.

• Sunroof has stopped working
  • Burning smell from aircon
  • Front Speakers distorting
  • Interior trim (various bits) has fell off
  • Drivers seat broke
  • Start button broke
  • Central locking fault
  • Auto wiper fault

I'm at the end of my tether with this car, so, the T180 is now going to get traded in, with the dubious honour of easily being the worst car I've ever owned...

Cheers to all on this forum, it's been a great help in my 6mths of Auris ownership, and there is some really good guys on here that know their stuff. Unfortunately, it will be the last time I buy Toyota, so....

Just frustrated more than anything else. The T180 really should of been a great diesel car, it had all the right ingredients. Good equipment levels, powerful diesel engine, decent looking, etc..... it just doesn't work though.

obviously to late for you now you have made your mind up to dump the car, but i would have insisted that the dealer let you go out in your car as a passenger to see how they drove your car to return the 48 mpg ? as for the other problems,i think i would dump the car as well, serious bad look there

obviously to late for you now you have made your mind up to dump the car, but i would have insisted that the dealer let you go out in your car as a passenger to see how they drove your car to return the 48 mpg ? as for the other problems,i think i would dump the car as well, serious bad look there

Even if they are somehow getting this figure, the car isn't going to be fun to drive.

I want a car I can just jump in and drive, and not need to worry about changing gear at exactly the right revs, and how much pressure I'm putting on the accelerator/brake/clutch/whatever, it's not fun at all and detracts considerably from the driving experience. Quite literally being a few fractions out on these has a a big effect on the T180, where as in any other car I've owned or driven, it's the difference between say 48mpg and 50mpg. I really don't want to have to think about how I'm driving all the time.

Coupled with the niggley problems I've had with the car, and general poor build quality, I just can't say I love it anymore, indeed I hate it and am sick of the sight of it. The connection that was there when I bought it is well and truely severed.

I know exactly where you are coming from, i had the exact same experience in my last car, and finally got rid of it 10 months after i bought it, and i got the Auris instead.

Good luck with the next car, i hope it achieves what you hope the Auris would.

:thumbsup:

Even if they are somehow getting this figure, the car isn't going to be fun to drive.

I want a car I can just jump in and drive, and not need to worry about changing gear at exactly the right revs, and how much pressure I'm putting on the accelerator/brake/clutch/whatever, it's not fun at all and detracts considerably from the driving experience. Quite literally being a few fractions out on these has a a big effect on the T180, where as in any other car I've owned or driven, it's the difference between say 48mpg and 50mpg. I really don't want to have to think about how I'm driving all the time.

Coupled with the niggley problems I've had with the car, and general poor build quality, I just can't say I love it anymore, indeed I hate it and am sick of the sight of it. The connection that was there when I bought it is well and truely severed.

Small capacity Petrol is what you want for those figures, maybe a Renault Twingo or Mitsubishi Colt?

Small capacity Petrol is what you want for those figures, maybe a Renault Twingo or Mitsubishi Colt?

Both too small.

I'm looking at something like a Golf GTTdi. My mates got one and comfortably averages mid 40's.

If your after saving some serious money, go for the Yaris T Sport returns comfortably 35MPG local and 45+ on the motorway.

Nippy, reliable, and brilliant handling, good for re-sale as well.

Maintenance £60 a year

Air filter £10

Oil filter £10

Oil £25

Spark plugs £15

I would have one again but I cant because its not practical for a family.

VAG Cars I have owned a few but need high maintenance such as cambelt, water pump, bushes etc unless you buy one with it already done. Expensive engine oil too have to meet certain grades 505.01 507.00 etc etc or you suffer cam wear. Neither do turbos & injectors come cheap on the PD engines, and a common issue of temp sensors failing, ABS sensors etc. Not a problem if you have deep pockets. Very punchy & reliable engines if maintained.

If you can live with a Yaris T Sport try one you will not be dissapointed!

Yaris too small and after the problems with this I wouldn't, at least for the middle term, buy Toyota again.

I've owned 3 VAG's before and had very little problems bar general maintainence. Sure the cost isn't the cheapest, but TBH I haven't found Toyota particularly cheap either.

I agree toyotas are not the way they use to be, but still fairly reliable.

If your taking recommendations the 2.2 CIVIC CDTI are meant to be fairly good car, even the BMW 120D, Octavia 2.0 VRS TDI Guess its not so common as Golfs but if you have made your mind up. All the best with your new car.

Not decided at all.

Seen a nice 330C Diesel. Admittedly slightly high milage, but a good price. My sister has the 5 door version of this and attains good MPG, and has 210 or so BHP.

I dunno, I'd need to shop around, see what I see. It's probably going to be German though.

We have just bought a CRZ but with still using the Honda forums a lot I can confirm the the 2.2 Civic diesel does return very good mpg with non of the EGR / DPF problems of the Auris but be warned about clutch issues so make sure you have warranty but this does only effect diesels and the 1.8 petrol does also return very good MPG. A lot of owners fit an uprated clutch and then the problem is solved for good but otherwise no major problems on the Civic's apart from the usual forum things people write when moaning about their car.

The

I nominate this man for contribution of the year 2011

The

I nominate this man for contribution of the year 2011

yes your right,he is straight to the point.does not mix his words.

I'm very wary of my MPG readings, I pray they aren't what they say they are LOL.

I've just been through a tank of V-Power Diesel, mixed urban (8 miles of 30 & 40 mph, ample stopping) and mway driving (no more than 170 miles), and with about 15 miles range left I had covered 399.5 miles. I'll admit that getting near the end of the tank I'd booted it a little so I'm fairly happy.

I was happy to see it near the 400 mark but I'd been driving the urban stuff really carfully.

23000 miles, EGR valve cleaned, normally run on V-Power, tires inflated (big difference). I'm considering a fuel treatment in the next tank full.

The range remaining function is not very good at all and I don't ever trust it.

My gauge is that when it goes to the low fuel message, i know there is roughly 2 gallons of diesel left, in my mind I know I can drive upwards of 60 miles safely before I will run out.

I usually get to my low fuel message at around 400 miles mark.

The range remaining function is not very good at all and I don't ever trust it.

My gauge is that when it goes to the low fuel message, i know there is roughly 2 gallons of diesel left, in my mind I know I can drive upwards of 60 miles safely before I will run out.

I usually get to my low fuel message at around 400 miles mark.

I find my range gauge to be fairly accurate. Obviously it reads a little on the low side.

My fuel light comes on after about 220mls.