Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daytime Running Lights

monya

Thinking of fog lamps, does it also annoy any one else that you *have* to switch your front fogs on to switch you rear ones on?
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!I have always said they are switched the wrong way round, you should go through the rear ones to get to the front ones, not the other way round.... And if you leave them on when they are not needed you should be shot!!! :thumbsup:

Shooting sounds a bit harsh don't you think?

You don't say whether the death penalty is for leaving the front or back fogs on, or is it either?

Lol - either i think..

Thinking of fog lamps, does it also annoy any one else that you *have* to switch your front fogs on to switch you rear ones on?
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!I have always said they are switched the wrong way round, you should go through the rear ones to get to the front ones, not the other way round.... And if you leave them on when they are not needed you should be shot!!! :thumbsup:

You don't say whether the death penalty is for leaving the front or back fogs on, or is it either?

Shooting is way too good for idiots who leave their fog lamps on. (Same goes for people who don't bother to use indicators....) ;)

Over time, this should resolve the problem quite effectively.

Shooting is way too good for idiots who leave their fog lamps on. (Same goes for people who don't bother to use indicators....) ;)

Over time, this should resolve the problem quite effectively.

Lol, i hadn't quite thought of it like that but, yes, i think it probably would :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

My 2006/56 T-Spirit has a row of LEDs within the front light clusters just below the indicators and side lights and above the main headlights.

Are these DRLs and can they be activated by a dealer?

My 2006/56 T-Spirit has a row of LEDs within the front light clusters just below the indicators and side lights and above the main headlights.

Are these DRLs and can they be activated by a dealer?

No and no.

They are dummies, I checked both with my Gen2 and with the current Gen3 and my dealer says it's not possible to even put led's in there though I'm sure someone will do it one day :thumbsup:

My 2005 Prius doesn't have those, I'd have certainly looked into the possibility of fitting LED's if it had :)

Having said that, splitting light clusters with the idea of reusing them is not the easiest thing in the world these days. They're not designed to come apart...

I was worried when I heard the EU had decided to insist on DLR's. As an X motor cyclist, I was concerned headlights running all day on cars would make it that much more diffult to spot the difference between a Car and a Motor cyclist who are advised to keep their headlight on at all times for extra visibility.

I have to say though I think the row of leds that make up DLR's are fine and use very little power.

Came up M6 last week and encountered heavy downpours, most drivers immediately switched on headlights but some drivers with DLR's didn't, so it was really difficult to make them out from behind in all the gloom.

Of course there was still some drivers, usually in dark coloured cars for some reason, who didn't think they needed any lights on at all. Those Citroen DS3's DLR's are far too bright for my liking.

I do think a lot of that has to do with auto lights as well. In my experience rain really thwarts the auto mechanism when it is still bright but one should switch on the headlight really in the rain. imo ofcourse :)

The people that turn their lights on in heavy rain are the "I want to be seen" brigade, while the ones that leave them off are the "I can see alright" mob. I've seen people driving around in virtual darkness without lights. When asked about it their excuse is that the street lights aren't on therefore theirs don't need to be either. The sort of people who get a driving licence is quite frightening sometimes...

The people that turn their lights on in heavy rain are the "I want to be seen" brigade, while the ones that leave them off are the "I can see alright" mob. I've seen people driving around in virtual darkness without lights. When asked about it their excuse is that the street lights aren't on therefore theirs don't need to be either. The sort of people who get a driving licence is quite frightening sometimes...

I wonder if it's an age thing. When I started to drive it was normal to drive in a built-up area using sidelights only to save the Battery. No-one thought of putting lights on in rain or snow.

It does amaze me though how many cars you see in bad weather without any lights or just sidelights. In daytime rain or fog sidelights are no use; the outline of the car can be seen before the lights. I think cars could be improved by adding another warning light to show when dipped headlights are on. At present they only show sidelights or main beam and the only way to be certain that you have dipped lights on is to try the switch. The government could help as well by spending a little of our money on a publicity campaign.

"........... are no use; the outline of the car can be seen before the lights. I think cars could be improved by adding another warning light to show when dipped headlights are on. At present they only show sidelights or main beam and the only way to be certain that you have dipped lights on is to try the switch. The government could help as well by spending a little of our money on a publicity campaign.

What's the point of another warning light? It is illegal to use fog lights when visibility is more than 100 metres and a warning light is provided to show when they are on.... How many idiots do you see with fogs on with their headlights in perfectly clear daylight or even at night....

Education and PROPER policing is the answer IMO... Not another light on an already crowded dash...

"........... are no use; the outline of the car can be seen before the lights. I think cars could be improved by adding another warning light to show when dipped headlights are on. At present they only show sidelights or main beam and the only way to be certain that you have dipped lights on is to try the switch. The government could help as well by spending a little of our money on a publicity campaign.

What's the point of another warning light? It is illegal to use fog lights when visibility is more than 100 metres and a warning light is provided to show when they are on.... How many idiots do you see with fogs on with their headlights in perfectly clear daylight or even at night....

Education and PROPER policing is the answer IMO... Not another light on an already crowded dash...

I think Opifex is talking about a dash light to indicate dipped headlights are switched on which is something I really miss on my Prius (and my other half's Yaris). IIRC all my previous cars did have such a light - I had assumed it depended on the manufacturer: Toyota don't provide one on their models whereas Ford, for example, do?

Front fogs are a separate issue. I can appreciate the distraction a rear fog light causes when used inappropriately but I just don't get the problem with using front fogs instead of/alongside dipped headlights during poor daylight conditions. If someone finds DRLs/front fogs distracting in the day, how on earth do they manage at night with oncoming traffic using dipped headlights? Maybe it's a perception thing but I am afraid I will continue to be one of the "idiots" who uses front fogs as an alternative to DRLs (I don't have them) because I think it makes the car more visible to others at junctions and sideroads (I judge when to used them based on how visible other vehicles appear to me, and not because of vanity!). I appreciate other road users making their vehicles more visible especially on gloomy days or when the low winter sun is shining. Presumably legislation for DRLs was brought in because the improved visibility lessens the chances of accidents?

Front fogs are a separate issue. I can appreciate the distraction a rear fog light causes when used inappropriately but I just don't get the problem with using front fogs instead of/alongside dipped headlights during poor daylight conditions.

Well, since it's illegal to use them unless there's fog or falling snow, you're just giving plod a pretty good excuse to stop you :)

They do actually cause a lot of dazzle to the people in front of you, especially if the road is wet.

Front fogs are a separate issue. I can appreciate the distraction a rear fog light causes when used inappropriately but I just don't get the problem with using front fogs instead of/alongside dipped headlights during poor daylight conditions.

Well, since it's illegal to use them unless there's fog or falling snow, you're just giving plod a pretty good excuse to stop you :)

They do actually cause a lot of dazzle to the people in front of you, especially if the road is wet.

When you say 'in front of you' I assume you mean going in the same direction. This is something I'd never considered or experienced as a problem, in spite of driving a low sports car until recently in which glare from oncoming headlights was a definite problem on a wet road.

With this possible exception, I've never managed to see what the problem can be with lights that are close to the ground and angled low. I really can't remember ever being dazzled by fog lights but I am regularly dazzled by dipped headlights. So is there a case for allowing fog lights and banning dipped headlights?

Incidentally, my 2006 French Code de la Route (Highway Code) says that you are allowed to use front foglights in clear weather on "narrow and twisty roads outside towns". (I think I've also read somewhere that you must turn them off if anyone is in front or behind you but can't just find where I read that.) Excluding fog of course, these are the only conditions where I think there is a real benefit in using foglights in addition to dipped headlights, but it doesn't worry me if others want to use them all the time.

All 3 Prius models will eventually have LED DRL's, as the facelift for the Prius will give it the same front bumper as the + and plug in.

Hi everyone ,

just thought you might be interested in the fact that on my Auris HSD the DRL's can be switched off it is on Page 206 of the owners manual - If anyone wants to try on their car I would be happy to scan it in and email it .

IMO the DRL's are a great idea as they consume very little power , make you more visible at all times

and they look quite nice too , in some ways they save me power because on an early morning/late evening or even a dull day you would normally put your dipped headlights on , but the DRLs solve that problem so I only use the dipped headlights when I need the rear lights to come on .

I also noticed this morning ( as it was dark at 6.30 when I left) how much light the DRLs give off- they are not far off fog lights and give off enough light for low speed work ( providing you dont need rear visibility), and when you turn on the parking lights on the DRLs go off. :)

It is illegal to use fog lights when visibility is more than 100 metres and a warning light is provided to show when they are on. How many idiots do you see with fogs on with their headlights in perfectly clear daylight or even at night. Education and PROPER policing is the answer IMO. Not another light on an already crowded dash.

I would cheerfully bringing back flogging for the idiots who drive around with their front foglights permanently on.

I would cheerfully bringing back flogging for the idiots who drive around with their front foglights permanently on.

I'd have agreed with you but these new laser bright LED DRL's on most new cars are worse than front fog lights - esp when it's getting dusk and they have switched their headlights on (the DRL's reduce in brightness when the headlights get switched on).

I hate the new DRL's - way too bright. The odd one isn't a problem but when you get rows of new cars it is difficult to see pedestrians etc when blinded. Not so bad in bright sunlight but dreadful on a dull UK autumn day or at dusk.

It is illegal to use fog lights when visibility is more than 100 metres and a warning light is provided to show when they are on. How many idiots do you see with fogs on with their headlights in perfectly clear daylight or even at night. Education and PROPER policing is the answer IMO. Not another light on an already crowded dash.

I'm surprised by the heat this topic is generating. Apart from the post that mentioned glare if you are being followed on a wet road by a car with foglights on, I don't remember anyone saying why they they think foglights are a problem.

On the legal point, does anyone know how many prosecutions are made for this each year. I suspect it's low on the police priority list. I don't recollect any publicity campaign on the subject, or its being mentioned in any of the police reality programmes on TV.

I drove about 10 miles on unlit main roads yesterday and passed too cars with fogs on - no problem at all. Far more worrying were the badly adjusted dipped beams, the guy who left his main beams on far too long, and a very scary stretch where the road had been resurfaced and there was nothing to show you where the middle or edge of the road were. (This was in France where they seem to regard bollards at roadworks as an unnecessary expense and cats eyes as a strange foreign idea that will never catch on.)

I'd have agreed with you but these new laser bright LED DRL's on most new cars are worse than front fog lights - esp when it's getting dusk and they have switched their headlights on (the DRL's reduce in brightness when the headlights get switched on).I hate the new DRL's - way too bright. The odd one isn't a problem but when you get rows of new cars it is difficult to see pedestrians etc when blinded. Not so bad in bright sunlight but dreadful on a dull UK autumn day or at dusk.

Welcome back GC.

Fully agree with your comments about DRLs.

• Like 1

Hi everyone ,

IMO the DRL's are a great idea as they consume very little power , make you more visible at all times

Really? So a few leds make my car more visible than it would otherwise be dispite it being bright white! I don't buy it. In some circumstances sure, with some dark coloured cars sure, but on a bright day with good visibility they are a waste of time and do nothing whatsoever to increase the visibility of my car.

Hi everyone ,

Really? So a few leds make my car more visible than it would otherwise be dispite it being bright white! I don't buy it. In some circumstances sure, with some dark coloured cars sure, but on a bright day with good visibility they are a waste of time and do nothing whatsoever to increase the visibility of my car.

I fully agree with you - my car is white too and on a bright day and good visibility does not need DRLs ,

but surely that is the point-

some cars are dark colours ,

some days visibility is better than others ,

sometimes you may be driving on a perfectly clear bright day but in the shades of trees or buildings - the guy who is coming the other way who is chancing it by overtaking because he is late for his fish and chip supper , maybe the sun is in his eyes , whatever the reason is - if DRL's make the difference then surely it is a good thing. If it can save lives (which ultimately it should) then it is a good idea. You of course have the choice to turn yours off if it you think they are unnecessary.

I fully agree with you - my car is white too and on a bright day and good visibility does not need DRLs ,

.....even then they do show that the igntion is on and the car is about to move

....... You of course have the choice to turn yours off if it you think they are unnecessary.

.... but please don't - they really do help in these circumstances.

A white car fully visible with the sun behind it? Hmm not so certain about that....

Not sure why people get so agitated about DRLs. They're a safety thing, they're going to be law... Nuff said? I agree that the Dame Ednas that have appeared on Audis and some of the new VeeDub models are pretty naff, but the HSD ones are pretty discrete, and bright enough without being too distracting. As said before, the manual says which fuse to pull to disable them, but I don't think it's a good idea to do that... My pennyworth, for what it's worth. Dave.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links