Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stuck Accelerator Pedal Gen6

ChristianTRD

Hi

I have a Gen6 Celica ST and the accelerator (throttle) pedal is stuck fast?

I have managed to free it twice but it's gone back to being stuck in the up position.

The spring return is fine but something allows it to stick. It's almost like you have to break an invisible seal.

I have lubricated the pedal and spring in the footwell with GT85. Once free it works fine. If left say 5 mins it's back to being stuck again?

I know Toyota had a recall for sticking pedals but that was newer models with fly-by-wire. My local Toyota dealer kindly did a recall serach for my car on outstanding recalls but nothing came up.

This is ruining an outstanding vehicle. My girlfriend is afraid that it will stick down with the same force and could cause an accident.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Christian

Any help from Celica owners who have had similar experience much appreciated ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same sort of problem with our 2nd Gen6 this morning, after it had been stood for a while.

When we tried to push the accelerator pedal down, nothing happened. I Had to open the bonnet and pull extremely hard on the cable at the throttle body end and it came free.

Hope this helps.

Will spray the whole mechanism with WD40 soon!

• Like 1

Have you checked the buttrerfly in the throttle body? Remove where the air is fed into the throttle body and operate the throttle. You'll be able to see the butterfly open and closing. The wall of the body may have a build up of muck on it, Redex does not clean this if you add it to fuel. Use some carb cleaner and lint free cloth to clean out the muck.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Quick update, the sticking throttle pedal was linked to the idle screw not being set far enough to stop mechanism from sticking.

I adjusted the idle screw which increased the idle speed and stops the throttle cable mechanism from getting stuck.

Sorted. Now the pedal does not get stuck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links