Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does The 1.33 Feel Much Slower Than The 1.6 Vvt-I

donald packham

Some of the reports on the 1.33 engined car seem to suggest that this 6 speed car is not as inferior as I would have thought when compared to the 1.6 VVT-i. It would seem to make more sense with the stop/start and lower tax in these days of ever increasing fuel prices. How does this car behave on the motorway for example - particularly when overtaking. I shall be glad of owners views on this car.

I cannot speak for the 1.6.

I changed from a 2006 1.4 Corolla to a 1.33 Auris about 15 months ago. The Auris certainly goes as well as the Corolla - both having similar bhp. On a motorway, the Auris usually needs to be changed down to 5th for inclines and brisk overtaking.

We did our usual trip to Skye in May of last year - which involves 300 odd miles of motorway driving. The car had two people in, and, with the rear seats folded forwards, a full load of luggage. The car performed fairly effortlessly - and gave mpg of up to 48.7 mpg (despite having the climate control on for the majority of the two weeks).

Car tax is cheaper as well.

No regrets

As per Frosty says really. I came to the 1.33 after 8 years in the 190bhp Corolla TSport... and the 1.33 is a far nicer drive. The only time it "feels" slow or a little soft is pulling away, but after the TSport you can't expect anything less. On the move it's great, drop down to third (or second depending) and there is plenty of performance there at the top end of the range when needed.

Also, I have noticed (whether real or imaginery... as in just getting used to it) that the performance has really improved since new. It feels quicker! Been very careful with running in,... but not too gentle and have taken it right to the rev limiter on a few occasions to break any oil glaze caused during running in. According to Mr T, to do that is the best way to condition an engine and ensure it burns no oil.

The 1.33 is a gem of power unit, and super smooth.

You're not alone in your thoughts! I started off convinced I needed a 1.6 minimum, and then realised I needed a Valvematic for the six gears, then thought I'd give the 1.33 a test drive (just to convince myself I needed a 1.6). But - I liked it - a lot. Yes it was slow on moving off and I could see the lack of thrust on acceleration compared with my curent 1.6 peugeot 306. But I got thinking - it wasn't so bad - in fact - it was a very nice drive. And no matter that some reviews say its a bland car, I happen to think its good looking. I then started thinking about the lower tax and that petrol is only going to get higher in this country. I got back in my 306, ***** - it felt like trying to drive a sack of potatoes. So I put down a deposit, on a lovely 1.33 Auris TR! Lets hope there will be no regrets.

The 1.33 was a massive surprise to me.

Leaving me thinking, why would anyone buy the 1.6.

I couldn't notice any significant different around town, little different on a-roads.

But as mentioned, at speed, overtaking on the m-way or going uphill you have to stir the gears and at speed, as you encounter higher wind resistance, you start to see the power deficit. But in all honesty, if you can accept that it's a cracking set up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought a 1.33 tr and moved down from a 2ltr diesel i find the 1.33 quite responsive and nippy and with a good rev on the motorway she performs well .No grumbles from me i really wish i had bought one before now.

You guys tried the 1.4 D4D?

How's that compare with the 1.33?

You guys tried the 1.4 D4D?

How's that compare with the 1.33?

It's good to hear from satisfied owners - thanks and would love to hear from more of you.

I have just bought a 1.33 tr and moved down from a 2ltr diesel i find the 1.33 quite responsive and nippy and with a good rev on the motorway she performs well .No grumbles from me i really wish i had bought one before now.

Sorry I've put my reply under the wrong letter. Thanks for your help. Look forward to more replies.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links