Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ouch!

xtine1

Bought my little T.iq 8 months ago (as nearly new), my first car and keen to take good care of it.

Was most annoyed to find someone decided to cause it some damage whilst parked up overnight, and conveniently forgot to leave their details !

Toyota want a lot of money to put a new bumper on. A local garage has said they'd attempt to heat, reshape to remove the dint and spray paint for just less than my insurance excess would be (and for about a third of what Toyota want for fitting a new bumper).

Want to get it looking new again, I can't spend a fortune, I need to preserve the little no-claims i have built up and I obviously don't want to do anything that will impact the Toyota warantee.

Wondering what others might do in this situation?

Thanks, C.

post-97763-0-02473400-1296571169_thumb.j

That is not too bad. Something simillar happened to me about 8 months ago. Apart from damaged bumper front light casing was cracked and some other small thing needed changing. In total Toyota dealer charged me over 800 ponds !!!. It comes with 3 years warranty on parts and labour though.

Ouch - my heart bleeds for you ??Christine?? - the problem is that you will never know who did it, even if they had been seen no one would have told you... it's not what happens these days unfortunately...

Hopefully you can get it fixed without too much heartache...

Our own bodyshop do bumper / plastic repairs all day long and they do some very good jobs

http://www.lindoptoy...w=article&id=73

However when a plastic bumper gets dented to the extent of yours, the plastic stretches and there is not a lot you can do to it. I think a repair on yours will not end up looking good at all, and it could be scratched or damaged already

If you buy a second hand bumper, it will need to be the right colour, bodyshops dont like changing the colour of already painted plastics, too many things can go wrong

If I were you I would get to a local independant body shop with a good reputation and get a quote for a new bumper to be fitted and painted

Kingo :thumbsup:

Really feel for you - the same thing happened to mine when some kind person drove right down the side. It was repaired under my insurance and cost us the excess....whole charge for respray n small dint straightening was just over £700 :censor:

It did look as good as new though, which was important to me :thumbsup:

heres a couple of hundred quids worth somebody did on mine, right outside my house, really deep, really meant it.had to have the whole bonnet resprayed.

post-98863-0-27773400-1296647942_thumb.j

heres a couple of hundred quids worth somebody did on mine, right outside my house, really deep, really meant it.had to have the whole bonnet resprayed.

brought a brand new mkiii cortina Gt back in the ninteen seventies.

someone scratched the whole lengh of the nearside,with i think was a key,not a streaight line but a wavy line.

i only had the car for two weeks.it costed just over £30 to fix then.what would it cost now.

Really sorry about the damage Xtine and hope you get it repaired to your satisfaction without too much hassle.

Great car Acetip, I had a yellow one in the seventies, went like a rocket for those days but wallowed a bit in the corners if I remember correctly.

That scratch must have REALLY annoyed you, to say the least!

Auw thank you all so much for your replies.

Odd as it may sound it's comforting to know my pain is understood and empathised here.

Jennie_IQ thank you for that breaker suggestion, i've just sent a msg to the poster on e-bay, definitely worth me checking out.

Barry_IQ i hadn't considered the sport bodykit bumper before, but now you've got me thinkin!

Kingo that really does seem like sound advice, especially given your expertise and line of business! Sending my fella out with T.iq at the weekend to see if they'll get a better offer than i could muster up alone!

Devil-ish & Atkiman ... ouchhhhh too !

Acetip definitely done out of jealousy .... though £30 !!! I should be so lucky lol

Thank you all again, independant body shops and breaker yards here i come !

Cheers,

Christine

Really sorry about the damage Xtine and hope you get it repaired to your satisfaction without too much hassle.

Great car Acetip, I had a yellow one in the seventies, went like a rocket for those days but wallowed a bit in the corners if I remember correctly.

hi jonan,

yes very annnoyed, if i had caught who done it i would still be serving time for murder

yes mine was yellow its was called DAYTONA YELLOW.it was a 2 ltr engine if i remember it was called a pinto engine,

had lovely sporting seats with built in headrest, also plenty of gauges.yes did wallow in corners though.

though it was called a Gt the engine was exactly the same as the base model 2 ltr.which did not seem fair.

remember i ftted with elecronic ignition.problem was that if you did that the rev counter did not work.

the days of me being a boy racer.wonder i didnt kill myself.

That one is just plain nasty.......

Someone did mine in our local Asda car park....... Unlucky for them they got caught on the cctv, and got their reg. I did weigh up just finding where they lived and doing the same to them but worse, in the end gave the images to the police....... I'd love to have seen the look on his face when they went knocking!!

hi jonan,

yes very annnoyed, if i had caught who done it i would still be serving time for murder

yes mine was yellow its was called DAYTONA YELLOW.it was a 2 ltr engine if i remember it was called a pinto engine,

had lovely sporting seats with built in headrest, also plenty of gauges.yes did wallow in corners though.

though it was called a Gt the engine was exactly the same as the base model 2 ltr.which did not seem fair.

remember i ftted with elecronic ignition.problem was that if you did that the rev counter did not work.

the days of me being a boy racer.wonder i didnt kill myself.

further to the cortina GT.

when i brought it new there was several months waitng list.there was a wide range of spec you could have including make of tyres you wanted,dont hear of that now.anyway a friend of mine orderd a one in ELECTRIC blue.

eventualy got a call that the car had arrived,so he called at the dealers to take a look at it,its around the back sir he was told,so my friend goes to the back of the dealers but cant find a cortina in the colour he ordered,yes a YELLOW one,but none in the blue he ordered.so goes back to showroom and tells them that there is no blue cortina in the back yard.dealer says yours is the yellow one,my friend says ordered blue.

my friend was told then accept the yellow one or go without ,as there plenty of other people will take it.

so my friend had no option but to have the yellow one.

glad to say dealership went bust a couple of years later.