Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Compressor Gear Selection

Rob1980

Hello everyone.

My compressor crunches a tiny bit when I am changing from second to 3rd. My foot is right down to the floor on the clutch and it does not do this when changing into any other gear. I assume that this is not normal, does anyone know whats causing it and how to fix it please?

One other question, when starting it up from cold, it idols quite high at around 1800rpm but drops to a normal 800rpm when warm. Is this normal? I remember an old XR2 that I had years ago with an automatic choke did this but I have never come across it since and I have had quite a few cars since then!

Kind regards,

Sounds like your syncro could be starting to fail fix is box stripped and syncro replaced only thing is it will be heavy on labour.

As for the idling its usual mine does the same

Your idle is fine but the gearbox thing is a common issue. The 3rd gear syncro is the size of an oreo!

As mentioned above its defo on its way out

Oh no!

It looks like I will have to send it back to the garage that i bought it from for them to repair. Out of curiousity, how much does this proceedure normally cost?

Yer take it back as its known on the c64 and c60 the 3rd and 2nd syncros are weak, I think my second on downshift is being notchy so looking into new syncros myself aswell i have been quoted 250 by my mechanic who works in mr T, but he mentioned buying the recon parts will total up to a few hundred.

He said risk a replacement box or pull out and rebuild so im still deciding lol

so much for toyota reliability, ay? with all the other issues that compressor owners have to deal with, it's crap that you have this syncro problem to deal with aswell mate. good luck getting it sorted...

so much for toyota reliability, ay? with all the other issues that compressor owners have to deal with, it's crap that you have this syncro problem to deal with aswell mate. good luck getting it sorted...

I got this from a Nissan main dealer who must have taken it in PX...

Anyway they are taking it back and having a look, I have explained that it could be the syncro so they are giving me a replacement car while its looked at. Hopefully they know what they are doing!

I had my window down yesterday and I noticed a high pitched squeeking coming from the front wheel, could that just be a bearing?

Anyway they are taking it back and having a look, I have explained that it could be the syncro so they are giving me a replacement car while its looked at. Hopefully they know what they are doing!

I had my window down yesterday and I noticed a high pitched squeeking coming from the front wheel, could that just be a bearing?

could be a few different things mate - check your brake pads are copper-greased. also, i know you said it came from the front, but check the exhaust rear gasket, this failed on me and made a high-pitched squeek noise that i only noticed when the window was down. and, as you say, it could be a wheel bearing.

my compressor has to be the most unreliable car i've ever owned - my exhaust blew up (even after the gasket business) and had to be replaced with a custom system (toyota quoted me 1300 big ones for replacement - no chance), the clutch failed at 30,000 miles and also the clutch pedal creaks violently with every gear change (master cylinder on the way out), there is a weird clunking/knocking noise at low speeds that i simply can't get to the bottom of - if it turns out to be a leaking shock-absorber (big £££ to sort!) then i'm afraid it's getting shifted on.

i sincerely hope you don't have the same trouble...

I dont suppose the 3rd gear crunch is only when its cold?

As mine does this but is fine once its warmed up

could be a few different things mate - check your brake pads are copper-greased. also, i know you said it came from the front, but check the exhaust rear gasket, this failed on me and made a high-pitched squeek noise that i only noticed when the window was down. and, as you say, it could be a wheel bearing.

my compressor has to be the most unreliable car i've ever owned - my exhaust blew up (even after the gasket business) and had to be replaced with a custom system (toyota quoted me 1300 big ones for replacement - no chance), the clutch failed at 30,000 miles and also the clutch pedal creaks violently with every gear change (master cylinder on the way out), there is a weird clunking/knocking noise at low speeds that i simply can't get to the bottom of - if it turns out to be a leaking shock-absorber (big £££ to sort!) then i'm afraid it's getting shifted on.

i sincerely hope you don't have the same trouble...

I dont suppose the 3rd gear crunch is only when its cold?

As mine does this but is fine once its warmed up

Good God it does sound like you have had a bit of bad luck! I have only had it since Saturday but hopefully these little niggles will be sorted. I do have a years warranty which I will probably renew after the year is up to cover exhaust, shocks, supercharger etc.

No it does it constantly whether it is hot or cold.

this is the joy of owning a compressor you have to be on top of them all the time,don't know were this toyota quality myth comes from!

i had this issue on my compressor but only when cold okay when hot went into toyota when under warranty they stripped gearbox changed 3rd gear and sychros it was better at first but its just the same now took it back again and was told that they have done all they can do basicly there isn,t a fix from toyota for it and i,d guess there isn,t going to be one.all they need to do is modify the sychros .we had an issue on a lot of golf gearboxes and they were stripped and modified parts fitted problem sorted.why is it we are allways left with an on going problem that toyota never want to sort . :angry:

i had this issue on my compressor but only when cold okay when hot went into toyota when under warranty they stripped gearbox changed 3rd gear and sychros it was better at first but its just the same now took it back again and was told that they have done all they can do basicly there isn,t a fix from toyota for it and i,d guess there isn,t going to be one.all they need to do is modify the sychros .we had an issue on a lot of golf gearboxes and they were stripped and modified parts fitted problem sorted.why is it we are allways left with an on going problem that toyota never want to sort . :angry:

Maybe a call to watchdog in in order! :help:

is the compressor gearbox the same as the tsport?