Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Extended Warrenty Worth It?

Kwazii

Buying a 59 plate Auris TR 1.33, used approved, with remaining warrenty 'till Oct 2012. Is it worth buying an extended warrenty for this car? This works out at (I think) £685 for 2 years if bought now at purchase of car, or £780 for 2 years otherwise. Are extended warrenties worth it with cars?

It depends on whether you intend to keep the car!

The Toyota extended warranty is exactly that, an EXTENDED warranty, it is an extension of the original manufacturers warranty. It is better than external warranties which have many more exclusions.

As to whether it's worth it... Do you have house insurance?

It's something you don't want to pay out for or claim on, but you are glad you had it when you do need it :thumbsup:

It is a very good policy, but for me its a bit too expensive.

There is a link at the bottom of the forum for an alternative warranty, which is very well priced, but you won't get the same level of cover.

I have 2 months left on mine and i'm still weighing up the pro's and con's.

Our experience with a Mazda extended warranty, would suggest that extended warranties are worth considering. Back in October 2006 our Mazda Premacy reached three years of age, and we took out a one year extension which included full breakdown cover for £ 450. In the following June the driver's airbag warning light came on - and we had to have the entire airbag module replaced. Just the airbag module cost £ 750.

We've recently taken out a two year extension (including two years full breakdown cover) for our 2007 Mazda 2 at a cost of £ 525. Mazda also offer free MOT Insurance which we have also taken advantage of.

Buying a 59 plate Auris TR 1.33, used approved, with remaining warrenty 'till Oct 2012. Is it worth buying an extended warrenty for this car? This works out at (I think) £685 for 2 years if bought now at purchase of car, or £780 for 2 years otherwise. Are extended warrenties worth it with cars?

you could hang on till the original nearly running out.incase you change the car or someother reason.

but of course it will more than likly cost more then (inflation)

you could hang on till the original nearly running out.incase you change the car or someother reason.

but of course it will more than likly cost more then (inflation)

Hey ppl

Id b careful with toyota extended warranties!! I had mine extended for a year but when i had problems and eventually got round to using it some 9 months later, my dealer said he would charge me £60 diagnostic fee for every fault i reported as with all extended warranties!! There were around 5 issues that needed to be investigated so thats £300! Whether they found a fault or not. I was told the warranty only included parts and labour once the fault was found. What a joke!! Err what was the point in extending it?!!

ABZ-T2

t. I was told the warranty only included parts and labour once the fault was found. What a joke!! Err what was the point in extending it?!!

ABZ-T2

The extended warranty covers parts and labour as described, however your dealer was correct in pointing out that they are not paid for diagnosis work

Lets say your water pump is leaking, everybody can see a leak and no investigation work required, parts and labour covered, no problem

Your clutch squeaks and you say its heavy and doesnt feel like it used to. You pay a diagnosis fee, You cannot see the clutch, and it would need to be stripped to see what the problem is. When stripped down, the clutch pivot lever is sticking because of some corossion, part not covered under warranty, dealer cannot claim anything back from warranty, you will be charged for the work

Your clutch squeaks and the pedal is heavy, you pay a diagnosis fee, your dealer strips it down and the clutch cover is faulty and the take off springs are faulty, dealer gets paid by Toyota for carrying out the repair, your diagnosis fee is returned

This is quite normal procedure these days, particularly with off the peg warranties

Where there is a clear and unambiguious fault, its covered, if its something that is hidden away and nobody can tell what the problem is, you will be asked to pay a diagnosis fee. i would say most dealers would not generally charge you but if it involved an engine or gearbox strip, then yes you would be charged

Kingo :thumbsup:

Very interesting replies and a lot to consider. I was also offered today GAP insurance (£300 for 3 years) and a reasonable 3 year Service Plan offer - something like £491 for 30,000, 40,000, and 50,000 services.

£ 300 is a lot for GAP insurance. Say to your dealer that you can get GAP insurance through the Civil Service Motoring Association for £ 178 for a three year return to invoice policy (through Car Care Plan), and see whether they will come down on price. You can also buy a policy through Auto Trader for a period of up to 5 years - again this comes out a lot cheaper than £ 300.

• Like 1

It depends on whether you intend to keep the car!

The Toyota extended warranty is exactly that, an EXTENDED warranty, it is an extension of the original manufacturers warranty. It is better than external warranties which have many more exclusions.

As to whether it's worth it... Do you have house insurance?

It's something you don't want to pay out for or claim on, but you are glad you had it when you do need it :thumbsup:

had a offer for extended warranty but i service my own car so warranty would be tricky as toyota dont like it if you work on it yourself but if you get it serviced at toyota well its good piece of mind knowing if any non wear related problems come up you wont be out of pocket

£ 300 is a lot for GAP insurance. Say to your dealer that you can get GAP insurance through the Civil Service Motoring Association for £ 178 for a three year return to invoice policy (through Car Care Plan), and see whether they will come down on price. You can also buy a policy through Auto Trader for a period of up to 5 years - again this comes out a lot cheaper than £ 300.

Thanks for those tips - I hadn't heard about the Car Care Plan or the Auto Trader policy. I'll look into these as they seem a much better deal than my dealer quote.